Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 38   Go Down

Author Topic: Scimitar MV6  (Read 77405 times)

omega3000

Re: Scimitar MV6
« Reply #240 on: 22 December 2012, 09:33:43 »

Electrics  ::)
Have you seen the price of a restored Scimitar lately  :o

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: 22 December 2012, 19:57:04 »

To kill two bird with one stone, i'm useless at thin metalwork repairs, i did a small resto on my brothers capri and within 2 years it was all back, lots of rust showing through, so i'm certainly no good at body repairs, and apparently i'm pretty bad at troubleshooting lpg systems too :(

I'm fairly happy messing about and trying to make stuff faster, so i picked my favourite shaped car and set about making perform (trying anyway). I saw a scimitar when i was 9 and fell in love with it, i got this one with my first years student loan :)

And being fibreglass i should havr to repair too many thin metal panels :)

I love the shape though the shooting brake is awesome, like my other fave the z3 m coupe, the farrai ff is a looker too :)

As for the engine, its a peach, its easy for transplants as it comes with a robust manual gearbox, its very compact with the narrow v angle, and ita the mosy powerful in this sort of price bracket.  the remote gear lever is easily adapted for a different position in the project car.  the other option is the cossy 24v anf that is a real pain to sort the gearbox out for.

omega3000

« Reply #242 on: 22 December 2012, 21:16:42 »

Personally i envy you , its something like your doing that i have always wanted to do but alas my health wont allow me to . Being able to look at the progress you post is very interesting , as long as your happy with it thats all that counts . Ive lost count of times i watched a car is born , i never get fed up of it  :)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 23 December 2012, 15:07:06 »

I'm sorry to hear that, i can't imagine how frustrating that must be.  good to hear you get something out of looking through the thread though

omega3000

« Reply #244 on: 23 December 2012, 15:23:18 »

Maybe i could build one but it would be a very long build , say 10 yrs or something  ;D Having a decent workplace like you have is a big bonus and of course all the tool making equipment . Will be great to see yours all finished mot'd and on the road . Then no doubt you will start a new project .

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: 24 December 2012, 09:54:47 »

I am very lucky to have such a big space to work, I try not to become complacent about it, I am very lucky indeed!

Yeah I've got a few ideas floating around about what will be next.  The Scimitar will no doubt require some fettling for the next year or so, then it will obviously need supercharging (goes without saying really). 

I'll need a Z3 M coupe at some point, although that won't be a project, that will be pampered. 

I'd love to put the M5 V10 engine into something, but its a very very expensive porject.  The other idea I've toyed with (among many others) is a bike engined car.  Either way the next project will need to be really really fast!  :) :)

omega3000

« Reply #246 on: 24 December 2012, 15:58:24 »

Its right what they say though , once you built one your hooked and onto the next . Some builders end up making 3 of the same  :-X :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 24 December 2012, 17:18:06 »

I am very lucky to have such a big space to work, I try not to become complacent about it, I am very lucky indeed!

Yeah I've got a few ideas floating around about what will be next.  The Scimitar will no doubt require some fettling for the next year or so, then it will obviously need supercharging (goes without saying really). 

I'll need a Z3 M coupe at some point, although that won't be a project, that will be pampered. 

I'd love to put the M5 V10 engine into something, but its a very very expensive porject.  The other idea I've toyed with (among many others) is a bike engined car.  Either way the next project will need to be really really fast!  :) :)

I hope you're not too tall.  ;)

I couldn't fit behind the wheel of my mate's one and I'm only 6'0.5". He said the seat was fully back.. Hmm. maybe he lied. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 24 December 2012, 23:31:46 »

I'm 6'2" i really hope i'm not too tall for it, its my dream car, even if i won the lottery thats the first one i'd buy, i'll be very dissapointed if i don't fit.

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 25 December 2012, 02:54:40 »

I'm 6'2" i really hope i'm not too tall for it, its my dream car, even if i won the lottery thats the first one i'd buy, i'll be very dissapointed if i don't fit.
nah you will still fit in it mate :y :y
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 28 December 2012, 21:12:24 »

Good Good :) :) :)

I've found a little time over the Christmas period for a couple of short session in the garage, I'll give it a good go next week, but for now a little update. 

I'm very grateful of the good folk on the Scimitar club forum for informing me of rivnuts, I bought a cheap tool and did some work with it, but its already way past its best.  The SS M6 rivnuts have testing it to destruction, you can see here the bend upper end of the tool. 

The alternatives (which I clearly needed) are very expensive, but I found this and took a chance on it.  It was around £25 on ebay and is Excellent!!!!  I can't sing its praises enough, its great value and if you put a small 7/16 socket in the drill its really fast and doesn't end up injuring your wrist. 

Its also dead small and fits anywhere, if its a really tight space you can use a spanner or ratchet on the tool.  It works by simply pulling the wedge shaped piece of metal up the tool. 

I did one of the back panels with the new tool then called it a day.  Looking forward to finishing these later. 

More to come

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 28 December 2012, 22:01:41 »

Looks like a good simple tool. Reading on Amazon, reviews of the Silverline and Laser cheap rivnut tools, it looks like the cheap ones are made of chocolate! You can use them a few times for aluminium rivnuts at best!  ::) :o :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 28 December 2012, 23:41:12 »

That does look a nice Rivnut tool. I can also recommend this guy:

http://www.memfast.co.uk/
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 29 December 2012, 09:53:15 »

I sort of jad a suspision that it woukd be rubbish when i boihht the first one, but you kid yourself it'll be alright (the others are so expensive). 

That looks like a serious bit of kit kevin, and not a crazy price really.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 29 December 2012, 10:45:47 »

I think the design has changed a bit since I bought mine but the basic principle is the same. Works very well, but, on the down side requires a bit of clearance in front of the rivnut.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 38   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.