Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre life expentency  (Read 5942 times)

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre life expentency
« Reply #15 on: 02 June 2007, 22:11:06 »

I drive mine on roads, unlike Tunnie's dad who only drives on carpet, and expect to see 20k+ from my 225/55/16 Pirelli P7's.  ;)

I thinks they would only run out in 7k if you drove everywhere with the hand brake on  :o
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 June 2007, 22:46:30 »

Got Goodyear Eagle Ventura's on the 2.2, where on it when i bought it 2 years ago.

Done 20k on them, and the fronts still have 8mm on them, rears have 6mm. Don't care what people say about the grip, i have taken the turn from the M40 to the M25 Clockwise at 90 in them, as far as i am concerned thats enough for me  :y

Dad has Dunlop SP sports of some sort on his, they have lasted 50k, and 4 years.... and are still going!

Btw just had 2 x Dunlop SP300's fitted on the Senny, 205/65/15 @ £61 fitted a corner  :y

You know that the grip level on your 2.2 is not as good as it should be - you were in the car at the time ::)

Also, that corner can be taken much, much, much faster with decent rubber ::)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 June 2007, 22:48:58 »

My Dunlop SP9000s were on for about 20k Fronts, 17k rears before something went horribly wrong with the geometry  :'(

This mileage, obviously, was not pussy footing around.

Harder types may last longer, but I prefer the grip on the MV6...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 June 2007, 23:51:31 »

Got Goodyear Eagle Ventura's on the 2.2, where on it when i bought it 2 years ago.

Done 20k on them, and the fronts still have 8mm on them, rears have 6mm. Don't care what people say about the grip, i have taken the turn from the M40 to the M25 Clockwise at 90 in them, as far as i am concerned thats enough for me  :y

Dad has Dunlop SP sports of some sort on his, they have lasted 50k, and 4 years.... and are still going!

Btw just had 2 x Dunlop SP300's fitted on the Senny, 205/65/15 @ £61 fitted a corner  :y

You know that the grip level on your 2.2 is not as good as it should be - you were in the car at the time ::)

Apart from that one time (the only time you drove it  ;) ;D) i found the grip fine.... then again i do drive like someone twice my age, unless i am in the Senny  ;)

Chopsdad... my dad only does motorway runs these days. He has been going to Birmingham airport every week for the last few years, there is only 3 roundabouts on the whole journey.... the tyres don't get used much  ;)

I would take the 2.2 to the lakes too, but can't drive both  :(

miggy

« Reply #19 on: 02 June 2007, 23:56:10 »

I have a set of Budget Ceat Tornado tyres, came on the alloys when I purchased them, well wearing but a load of shite as they are full of flat spots, had them checked out.
Over 70 mph its like being in a bone shaker. They now need changing, All four, looking to spend in excess of £700 for a good set of Michelins.

:y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 June 2007, 01:50:05 »

I have a set of Budget Ceat Tornado tyres, came on the alloys when I purchased them, well wearing but a load of shite as they are full of flat spots, had them checked out.
Over 70 mph its like being in a bone shaker. They now need changing, All four, looking to spend in excess of £700 for a good set of Michelins.

£700 on tyres is all well and good, but not when the car is only worth half of that to begin with ;)

Martin_1962

« Reply #21 on: 03 June 2007, 09:45:25 »

Apart from that one time (the only time you drove it  ;) ;D) i found the grip fine.... then again i do drive like someone twice my age, unless i am in the Senny  ;)

Chopsdad... my dad only does motorway runs these days. He has been going to Birmingham airport every week for the last few years, there is only 3 roundabouts on the whole journey.... the tyres don't get used much  ;)

I would take the 2.2 to the lakes too, but can't drive both  :(

Make that four times your age - I go fast and I am twice your age ;D

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 03 June 2007, 09:47:03 »

£700 on tyres is all well and good, but not when the car is only worth half of that to begin with ;)

I now have a total aversion to cheap tyres, as they let go with no warning then do not grip again until it is time to go upside down :( :'(

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 June 2007, 13:11:41 »

:y :y[/quote

:£700 on tyres is all well and good, but not when the car is only worth half of that to begin with ;)

:o£700 for a set of Michelins?  search the web mate and you will get a set  sent to you for about 120 each, add the cost of getting them fitted , less than 700. :o
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Martin_1962

« Reply #24 on: 03 June 2007, 14:10:17 »

:£700 on tyres is all well and good, but not when the car is only worth half of that to begin with ;)

:o£700 for a set of Michelins?  search the web mate and you will get a set  sent to you for about 120 each, add the cost of getting them fitted , less than 700. :o

£250 a pair fitted and balanced

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 June 2007, 16:13:11 »

That's still £500 for a set of rubber.... not feasable on say a £300 car.... ;D ;D

miggy

« Reply #26 on: 03 June 2007, 17:04:16 »

I have come unstuck before getting tyres off the web, not anymore, I will go to tyre dealers, any probs with them I can take them back to get sorted, any probs with ones off the web then its hassel.

Cheers for the note anyway.
Pete

miggy

« Reply #27 on: 03 June 2007, 17:13:32 »

I have come unstuck before getting tyres off the web, not anymore, I will go to tyre dealers, any probs with them I can take them back to get sorted, any probs with ones off the web then its hassel.

Cheers for the note anyway.
Pete

Bearing in mind they are Michelin Pilot sport, 235 x 40 x 18, The exact price was £645 fitted, balanced etc, which I thought was good.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2007, 17:14:02 by miggy »

Martin_1962

« Reply #28 on: 03 June 2007, 18:35:48 »

That's still £500 for a set of rubber.... not feasable on say a £300 car.... ;D ;D

My Sunbeam cost me £100 so I suppose the £220 engine overhaul (engine cost me £40 but had lowish compression) was a waste as was the £100 rally cam, and tyres were £200 a set.

It is not the cost of the car, it is what the car is worth to you

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 June 2007, 18:38:32 »

My Sunbeam cost me £100 so I suppose the £220 engine overhaul (engine cost me £40 but had lowish compression) was a waste as was the £100 rally cam, and tyres were £200 a set.

It is not the cost of the car, it is what the car is worth to you

Agreed for the most Martin,

I've spent more on the Elite than I did buying it, and you're right about what the car's worth to you...

My only real point was, it's necessary to be realistic on how much you spend on cars that don't have a lot of value...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.