Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hissing  (Read 782 times)

Nickbat

Hissing
« on: 06 February 2007, 15:43:59 »

Car hasn't been sounding too good lately and sounds worse when going up hills etc. It seems fine and revs freely when not under load, but today I noticed that if I put the auto in D when at a standstill, I get a slight hissing from the engine bay. Are we talking exhaust or inlet here?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hissing
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2007, 16:11:23 »

It will be either the exhaust manifold (ticking when cold?) or an air leak on the inlet side.

Check the vacuum lines are all ok and the multiram is working fine.

Does it idle smoothly?
The Administrator.

Nickbat

« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2007, 17:13:40 »

It will be either the exhaust manifold (ticking when cold?) or an air leak on the inlet side.

Does it idle smoothly?

Seems to idle smoothly and yes, I do get a bit of ticking when cold. You are confirming my worst fears - exhaust manifold. I've heard it's an absolute pig of a job to repair, and probably not worth it on a 1995 car.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2007, 17:34:51 »

Does it idle smoothly?

Seems to idle smoothly and yes, I do get a bit of ticking when cold. You are confirming my worst fears - exhaust manifold. I've heard it's an absolute pig of a job to repair, and probably not worth it on a 1995 car.

Yep its a pig all right.... not something a garage should do because 'officially' its and engine out job!

You can bodge it get a pole or something and pop the engine off its mounts and get it over... but you need a some extra pairs of hands for that job.

Its ok if you can do it yourself with help.... but at garage prices forget it  :'(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 18 queries.