Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replica tax discs  (Read 7737 times)

Ollie3.0v6

• Gravesend
    • Omega 3.0 V6
    • View Profile
Replica tax discs
« on: 09 September 2016, 16:55:37 »

Hi All,

Thought id show you my replica tax disc.  Just does not look right without a disc in corner.

Ollie

1999 Bronze Vauxhall Omega 3.0 V6

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Replica tax discs
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2016, 17:21:12 »

It would look even better if they had filled it in right!
It should read just 'Vauxhall', not 'Vauxhall Omega 3.0 V6'!
Send it back for a correct one!
Also, just being pedantic (sorry!) having done a (sneaky) DVLA check, shouldn't it expire on the last day of November 1999 if it had a 6 month licence (or last day of May 00 with a 12 month licence) as the car was registered in June 99; as it stands expiring on the last day of December 1999, the car would have had a 7 month tax disc which as we all know wouldn't have been possible! Therefore the date of issue is 6 months too early!!
I see duplicate tax discs proudly displayed in cars at classic car shows, but the owners often get the wrong date on the disc, forgetting that the 1st tax disc would have expired 4 (depending on the age of the car),6 or 12 months AFTER the date of registration.
Having said all that, I agree - something looks missing without a disc. If you still have the last tax disc that was issued for your car before they stopped issuing them, then the first and last discs in seperate holders would be an interesting feature!
Incidentally, I still have all my old tax discs for every car I've ever owned - I think the oldest one I have is Sept 76!
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 17:32:04 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Ollie3.0v6

• Gravesend
    • Omega 3.0 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2016, 18:05:25 »

Thanks for info mate!! Ah damn lol  ::) ::) ::)

I did think about the expiry date too.  Might look into another one next month.   8)
Ollie

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2016, 18:14:39 »

No problem!
We have several cars in our family - the absence of a tax disc means that I haven't a clue when they expire now - you could budget before in advance because you always had a disc to remind you. Now, it catches you unawares when the renewal arrives, just when you thought you had money to spare at the end of the month.....
I know you can check on line, but in reality, you don't.....does anyone?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 September 2016, 18:23:30 »

No problem!
We have several cars in our family - the absence of a tax disc means that I haven't a clue when they expire now - you could budget before in advance because you always had a disc to remind you. Now, it catches you unawares when the renewal arrives, just when you thought you had money to spare at the end of the month.....

Yep

Tax disc on my cars.

No doubt the tax disc was abolished after a 'focus group' of 'twentysomthings' decided that it wasn't necessary in the modern age.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2016, 20:59:42 »

I ripped the final one off my car the morning it expired. They're ugly and unnecessary. I've several years worth of club membership stickers I won't add to.

And as for an expiry reminder, we all use computers: add an alarm to your calendar for the VFD, MOT and insurance for each car you're responsible for.

I put a friend's car in for an MOT earlier this week because it had already expired, and used a label printer for a sticker in the doorshut with the new expiry date.

Ollie3.0v6

• Gravesend
    • Omega 3.0 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 September 2016, 21:26:49 »

No problem!

Yeah, agree the tax disc did serve as a reminder, you could count down the months and save.  haha and no I dont check online ;)

Ollie
Ollie

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2016, 23:32:02 »

Had 1 or 2 nicked off my bikes over the years  >:(
I`m goin back to 2012 & I did a nice job of making the tax disc holder robber proof  :y
I`m gonna have to cut it off now if I want shot  ;D
Rant mode on : Why is any biker expected to pay VED beats the hell out of me. This mornin I counted 4 scoots & 2 full size bikes in a gaggle all waiting for the lights to change green.  The Kwaka ZX10 in front of me pays £81, I pay £60 & the small scoots £17.  Why  ???
2017 will see another shake-up for VED. Ruddy Osbourne  >:( So if your thinking of buying a new low rated VED  motor get it before April next year. After that date it will cost you £140 a year to sit on the road 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2016, 02:30:21 »

No problem!
No need... They email the reminder ::) and if you are keeping the car a while, you can set for auto renewal, MoT depending of course :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2016, 10:41:07 »

No problem!
No need... They email the reminder ::) and if you are keeping the car a while, you can set for auto renewal, MoT depending of course :y

Or you can just pay it monthly with a direct debit  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2016, 11:15:02 »

No problem!

Bloody government get enough of my money, I pay in full, not monthly, to pay more. :(
Hoof'land storeman.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2016, 11:27:49 »

No problem!

Bloody government get enough of my money, I pay in full, not monthly, to pay more. :(
It,s peanuts really, the difference that is. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2016, 11:30:38 »

I used to pay monthly for both, as otherwise it's £600 odd in one go. Difference was pennies really, so DD worth it in my view.

That said my new trusty steed only costs £30 per year for tax, so that's going in one payment  ;D  :D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2016, 11:55:43 »

I ripped the final one off my car the morning it expired. They're ugly and unnecessary. I've several years worth of club membership stickers I won't add to.

And as for an expiry reminder, we all use computers: add an alarm to your calendar for the VFD, MOT and insurance for each car you're responsible for.

I put a friend's car in for an MOT earlier this week because it had already expired, and used a label printer for a sticker in the doorshut with the new expiry date.

Many older people still don't.

Also, it is far more convenient to simply glance at a small circular disc at the bottom of the screen rather than use a computer (provided the site isn't down)

Tax avoidance is also far easier and greater now there is no visible disc.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2016, 12:04:46 »

No problem!

It,s peanuts really, the difference that is. :y

Er.....quite a lot of peanuts.

Both the Signum and the XFR cost £515.

D/D costs £45.06 x 12 = £540.72. A difference of £25.72. A big bag of peanuts. :'(
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.