Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Growth"  (Read 1243 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
"Growth"
« on: 24 November 2012, 20:59:42 »

Some years ago Ford,Vauxhall and others decided that the car buying public were "downsizing"so there was no longer a need for a large executive class car in their ranges,so the Scorpio,Omega  etc. were killed off leaving the Mondeo,Vectra as the "big"cars,fair enough.But then they set about increasing the size of them,so the Focus,Astra class grew larger to fill the gap being left by the growing Mondeo,Vectra,this in turn meant the Fiesta,Corsa ranges grew to fill that gap.The Ka was then brought in as a new "small" car and that's growing too!So will the next Mondeo[or whatever they wish to call it]become even bigger[same with Insignia]?This will then mean the other models will grow and yet another new "small"car will need to be made to start the ranges off.Why do they do this?The most obvious example that comes to mind is Honda's Civic,I remember the original was a tiny,cutsey little thing,look at it now!!!

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: "Growth"
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2012, 21:01:52 »

Look at what BMW did to the mini!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Totally and utterly destroyed the concept idea of what the "mini" was.......mindless stupid idiots >:(
AKA - Mr Bracket

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2012, 21:07:04 »

Look at what BMW did to the mini!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Totally and utterly destroyed the concept idea of what the "mini" was.......mindless stupid idiots >:(
+1 :y :y :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2012, 21:09:27 »

Yes, it's a shame a whole generation of mainstream RWD saloons disappeared. They were all, IMHO, really comfortable cars that were involving to drive and have been replaced with FWD chassis that have been stretched beyond what the format can cope with, and are thus neither.

Still, could always get a BMW or a Merc.  ;D Problem is, I like being let out of side roads occasionally, so the former's out, and is there enough ISOPON in the world for the latter?  ;)

I wonder if they do this to keep people buying the name they are used to, while actually keeping them upgrading?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2012, 21:15:26 »

Outside my house is a new Astra-its about the size of my  Rover  :D :D AND its a 1.6

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2012, 22:36:08 »

I think you will also find that for safety reasons, crumple zones have increased in size, so bonnets have got bigger and doors thicker, so it has not translated into a proportional increase in internal space.

I think it is a price worth paying where the number of deaths and serious injuries in RTAs has been dropping.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2012, 00:00:45 »

I understand that there may well be a new Ford Cortina, RWD in the near future....... :y :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2012, 10:04:24 »

I understand that there may well be a new Ford Cortina, RWD in the near future....... :y :y :y

:o

Wonder what that will look like , hopefully they wont ruin it like the mini  ::) :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2012, 10:47:02 »

Wonder what that will look like , hopefully they wont ruin it like the mini  ::) :)
They can't really ruin it, as the last ones were about as naff as you could go anyway ;D
Grumpy old man

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2012, 10:47:22 »

Designers wont-Accountants will :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2012, 10:48:06 »

Yes, it's a shame a whole generation of mainstream RWD saloons disappeared. They were all, IMHO, really comfortable cars that were involving to drive and have been replaced with FWD chassis that have been stretched beyond what the format can cope with, and are thus neither.

Still, could always get a BMW or a Merc.  ;D Problem is, I like being let out of side roads occasionally, so the former's out, and is there enough ISOPON in the world for the latter?  ;)

I wonder if they do this to keep people buying the name they are used to, while actually keeping them upgrading?
Sadly, I suspect the future, in our lifetime, will be 2 seater Smart style cars, probably tizzy  :'(
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.