Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Clicking"Seat  (Read 1129 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
"Clicking"Seat
« on: 30 March 2013, 21:21:00 »

A few weeks ago one of my stepdaughters bought a 1999(V reg)Seat Ibiza GTI.She now tells me that it is making a clicking noise[she likens it to the noise made when you shove a piece of card or similar into the spokes of a spinning bicycle wheel],it only does this when she lifts off the accelerator.When accelerating or driving normally it doesn't make this noise,nor does it do it if "blipping" the throttle whilst the car is stood still.So peoples the floor is open to any ideas as to what/where this could be.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: "Clicking"Seat
« Reply #1 on: 30 March 2013, 21:26:36 »

CV joints?
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Big_Al

« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2013, 21:33:24 »

had this on my daughters old nissan  micra (1999)  it was the CV rubber  gaitor securing strap .(cable tie in this case) Inboard end ,

It had worked loose &the loose end was catching & therefore "clicking" on the engine/diff every revolution of the shaft .HTH :y
« Last Edit: 30 March 2013, 21:36:33 by Essex Big Al »

Big_Al

« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2013, 22:18:58 »

Sorry Baza,
                 just read your OP again  . . .   now realise the noise only occurs when taking foot off of accelerator . . .

so cant be gaitor securing tie  :-[ :-[

A CV joint is still the most likely culprit in my book though  :-[ :-[

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2013, 09:08:52 »

I suppose it could be something like a cv gaitor fastening,I'm just wondering whether she can't hear the noise when accelerating/driving normally because of the engine/exhaust noise.Did read many moons ago that cv joints can be checked[as at least a rough guide]by applying full lock and driving slowly round in circles and listening for the "click",I think the article applied to the Mini but I assume the same would apply to any FWD car?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2013, 13:05:32 »

I suppose it could be something like a cv gaitor fastening,I'm just wondering whether she can't hear the noise when accelerating/driving normally because of the engine/exhaust noise.Did read many moons ago that cv joints can be checked[as at least a rough guide]by applying full lock and driving slowly round in circles and listening for the "click",I think the article applied to the Mini but I assume the same would apply to any FWD car?
Yes. Design hasn't changed. Turning steering to full lock exercises the outer CV joints over their full range (but it doesn't really test the inboard joints)

The gearbox used in the 1.6 VW Golf has the crown wheel riveted to the differential. When the rivets work loose there is a period when the crown wheel rattles a bit. When they shear off the crown wheel (or it might be the rivets) chew a hole in the gearbox casing. VAG are well aware of the problem and sell a kit of bolts to replace the rivets.

I don't know if the same gearbox is in the SEAT. I would jack one wheel up and (with gearbox in 4th or 5th) check for back lash and odd noises from gearbox and CV joints.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2013, 10:26:55 »

It would seem then that c/v joints or gearbox are favourite culprits so will be first point of investigation.Thanks guys.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2013, 12:05:00 »

What size engine does it have?
If 1.4 google for "085 gearbox rivets"
If 2.0 google for "020 gearbox rivets"

Hopefully she doesn't have that problem but if she does then there may still be time to catch it before it self destructs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.