Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap daily runaround car?  (Read 9399 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap daily runaround car?
« Reply #75 on: 16 August 2020, 09:32:24 »

Saw the blind spot mirror flashing on a Volvo XC90 that was sat alongside me on the motorway. Simple but effective.
I have it on mine, and it is really useful, but I wonder if it slowly gets drivers to pull out without looking over their shoulder, relying on the technology?

I find the passenger side particularly useful for overtaking on the motorway, to see when safe to indicate to get back in a lane - as soon as the light goes out, I can indicate, then move.

As an ex biker, always on the lookout that other drivers have seen me, even when in the car. However, despite many E/S class Mercs having the feature, their drivers ignore it. The amount of gravel rash my car has when I've been at (almost ;) motorway speeds, and I've seen their little red triangle come on, and I think they must be aware I'm there so keep the boot down, only for them to pull out, leaving me with the gravel and shit near the centrral barrier as my bit of road  >:(
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 16 August 2020, 10:24:42 »

That's self inflicted... ::)

You should know better than to assume that you have been seen, and with a modicum anticipation, you can see that situation coming a mile away.

Highway Codes 122, 124 and, to a greater or lesser degree, 125.

Basically be prepared to give way to avoid an accident, and more importantly, don't put yourself in to a position that might result in one ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 16 August 2020, 11:55:36 »

Mr TB, do you have a shark fin, I might be able to lay my hands on a smart rear view mirror and fin with integrated camera
Nope, mine is the earliest of the X351 ones, which have no external antennas at all.  Fair play to JLR for designing a car not requiring any aerials, keeping its sleek lines :y, though I suspect it is prone to issues, hence the sharkfins added a couple of years after mine.

Its back on the agenda, my team are doing lots of research regarding that at the moment

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 16 August 2020, 19:25:45 »

You should know better than to assume that you have been seen, and with a modicum anticipation, you can see that situation coming a mile away.

Basically be prepared to give way to avoid an accident, and more importantly, don't put yourself in to a position that might result in one ;)
Which in itself thus means that all 3/4/5/6 lanes of the motorway should proceed at the same speed. And there should never be an overtake on *any* road, if your average Merc (or VAG for that matter) driver believes that (s)he is superior, and opps everyone else.

I'm afraid, despite huge attempts over the past 25 years to do so, you simply cannot legislate to overcome stupidity.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 16 August 2020, 20:53:30 »

I have never heard of this gadget until now. I imagine it might be very useful in the future if I go blind but still want to be able to drive my car.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 16 August 2020, 21:38:39 »

Which in itself thus means that all 3/4/5/6 lanes of the motorway should proceed at the same speed. And there should never be an overtake on *any* road, if your average Merc (or VAG for that matter) driver believes that (s)he is superior, and opps everyone else.

I'm afraid, despite huge attempts over the past 25 years to do so, you simply cannot legislate to overcome stupidity.

Nor should you try, because it really oppss up everything.

And on top of that, the world is full of impatient arseholes. Lots of them have cars.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 16 August 2020, 21:41:19 »

Not at all, the point I was trying to make was that you should anticipate stupidity and be prepared for it. Getting all pissy about it is your fault and will achieve eleven tenths of nothing. If other people can't drive, that's up to them. All you can do is try to avoid them and get on with your day.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 17 August 2020, 18:15:05 »

Not at all, the point I was trying to make was that you should anticipate stupidity and be prepared for it. Getting all pissy about it is your fault and will achieve eleven tenths of nothing. If other people can't drive, that's up to them. All you can do is try to avoid them and get on with your day.
And from my biking days, you ensure they have seem you.  With a opps off massive red triangle (as fitted to Mercs) in the mirror, I'd like to think even the most stupid, arrogant, arsehole Merc driver is aware of my presence.

Now if you're say MB drivers are excused from even looking at the mirror when changing lanes, let alone physically looking, then that simply means that such a driver can never be passed, as you have to get alongside to make eye contact, by which time the Lady bits has already swerved into you.

So I fully grasp, understand and have done the defensive driving courses, but that can't lead to increased safety if some really are too thick to waste oxygen on.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 17 August 2020, 19:33:29 »

And yet you repeatedly find yourself in the same precarious position...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.