Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mk7 Golf amp  (Read 2619 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Mk7 Golf amp
« on: 20 February 2024, 19:08:55 »

Long shot but anyone know where the amp is located on a mk 7 golf estate?

Got RH front door speaker, off most of the time - comes on sometimes on the wretched potholes.

Door panel off - no power to speaker.

Head unit off and quite a surprise at just how few wires there are. So somewhere there is an amp with loads of wires. Can’t see one under/ back of glove box , only pollen filter. Nothing obvious in boot. Couple of humps under each front seats but covered by carpet. Can’t see much cooling if they are under that! So stumped. Not getting very far on the internet either.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
Re: Mk7 Golf amp
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2024, 20:25:51 »

Check for broken wires to the door, well known fault.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2024, 21:27:48 »

No power to plug in door frame. Hence why I hope it is a bad connection n the amp.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2024, 07:18:01 »

Try in the luggage compartment side panels,often hidden there
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2024, 08:06:32 »

Long shot but anyone know where the amp is located on a mk 7 golf estate?

Got RH front door speaker, off most of the time - comes on sometimes on the wretched potholes.

Door panel off - no power to speaker.

Head unit off and quite a surprise at just how few wires there are. So somewhere there is an amp with loads of wires. Can’t see one under/ back of glove box , only pollen filter. Nothing obvious in boot. Couple of humps under each front seats but covered by carpet. Can’t see much cooling if they are under that! So stumped. Not getting very far on the internet either.

You say no volts, hopefully you are measuring AC with a decent RMS meter, there should be no DC across the speaker terminals

Check behind the glovebox for the amp, its often under the seat for the branded audio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2024, 09:45:19 »

Head unit off and quite a surprise at just how few wires there are.
Most modern cars, the "head unit" is just the touch screen, and the rest of the system is in various modules fitted wherever is convenient, and connected up via CAN or MOST or both.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2024, 13:13:17 »

Its above my pay grade now.

Popped round to see a Spanish friend  who I would describe as an auto electrician. He contacted VW and they said there isnt an amp . Searching the web, we have concluded the component we are looking for is under the drivers seat ( LHD). There is certainly something there under the carpet.

So I have booked it in for probable seat removal later next week.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2024, 15:05:46 »

Its above my pay grade now.

Popped round to see a Spanish friend  who I would describe as an auto electrician. He contacted VW and they said there isnt an amp . Searching the web, we have concluded the component we are looking for is under the drivers seat ( LHD). There is certainly something there under the carpet.

So I have booked it in for probable seat removal later next week.

Must be the branded audio setup then, as the standard VW one is behind the glovebox.  :y

Good to see VW Spain are as equally hopeless as all other brands globally  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2024, 18:24:59 »

I posted on vw forum and got a great comprehensive answer including schematic showing pin outs and the options for dedicated amp or contained in MIB. Most excellent help as it even shows the various speaker pins.. Just hoping it isnt a damaged cable .

I found a damaged wire in the loom to drivers seat. Pretty poor given its known life. Anyway my auto electrician can effect a repair later next week.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2024, 12:53:04 »

90 minutes in total diagnostic time. 15 euros, seemed very little so gave him 20.

Problem is an internal fault with the MIB itself. A search of the internet throws up plenty of UK companies that repair your MIB . 2/3 day turnaround. There will be similar here but finding one will be a challenge as will be the logistics. Might be easier to turn up in person and stay in a hotel nearby.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2024, 16:00:56 »

90 minutes in total diagnostic time. 15 euros, seemed very little so gave him 20.

Problem is an internal fault with the MIB itself. A search of the internet throws up plenty of UK companies that repair your MIB . 2/3 day turnaround. There will be similar here but finding one will be a challenge as will be the logistics. Might be easier to turn up in person and stay in a hotel nearby.

When in the UK you could book a few days away in Paignton and pop in to see Dave Watts (Dave DND Services) who used to frequent the forum.
In all seriousness I appreciate that’s not a viable option, but good luck getting it sorted.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.