Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lies, damn Lies, and EPC  (Read 3385 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Lies, damn Lies, and EPC
« Reply #15 on: 30 April 2015, 11:51:59 »

If it helps the ones from my shocks that I did the other day fell off ok, so perhaps yours being rusted solid to the old shocks isn't on every car, or maybe I was lucky. Also, just how 'rusted solid' are they? If it takes you half an hour to get the originals off and cleaned up and refitted vs 2 hours pratting around in a scrappy in the rain, then surely the former is a nobrainer?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 April 2015, 15:12:17 »

Success - I think. Scrappy has a P reg Corsa, and once I'd worked out how it came apart, I had everything off in 10 minutes.

I also now know that if you put a Corsa on the roof of a Vectra, and unbolt both Corsa rear shock top mounts, the whole rear axle swings down and smashes the rear window of the Vectra  ;D

It did also rain and hail - but the scrappy is in Dreary Dorset and not Sunny Zummerset.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2015, 16:39:14 »

Success - I think. Scrappy has a P reg Corsa, and once I'd worked out how it came apart, I had everything off in 10 minutes.

I also now know that if you put a Corsa on the roof of a Vectra, and unbolt both Corsa rear shock top mounts, the whole rear axle swings down and smashes the rear window of the Vectra  ;D

It did also rain and hail - but the scrappy is in Dreary Dorset and not Sunny Zummerset.

hahah!  :y Yes, I remember a similar thing happening to me, once, too. About a quarter of a second after the thought entered my head of "hang on, when this nut comes off here, I wonder if that means th-" SMASHHHH!!!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2015, 18:46:49 »

Grrrrr. Failed the MOT on leaking rear shox. Fair enough - so I order 2 off 72119084 which EPC lists as IDENT L3 chassis Y1000001 -> WITH MOUNTING PARTS.

Mounting parts for a saloon should be (p/n 90487540) which EPC says includes....

90447244 = 2 x upper & lower washers
90447245 = 1 x top mount lower rubber
90486006 = 1 x top mount upper rubber
90334270 = 1 x metal bush insert
11094313 = 1 x lock nut

The shock's duly arrive, and tonight I embark on the 'simple' job of fitting them. But, no! The shox boxes only include the upper and lower rubbers, and the lock nut. No sign of the upper and lower washers, or the metal insert bush, and the old ones are rusted solid to the old shox of course  >:(. What odds are there of my dealer having 90447244 and 90334270 in stock so I can complete the job tomorrow.

I found soaking with penetrating oil and persuasion with Sammy jr and a drift worked for me. :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2015, 14:55:53 »

Just to ask - which is the part that is 'of issue'?

I've fitted my B4s with the kit provided without even considering that I might be fitting low quality components. (and have to say personally delighted with the result - car handles like a dream) however I still have my old bits n bobs left over.

The large washer-type things, well two of mine were rusty as hell (the bits exposed in the wheelarch) wheras two of the four were in very nice nick (inside the boot) then there's the metal tubes, well I am struggling to see what could be wrong with these, in terms of quality, same for the nuts, so I'm guessing that the part that's the 'problem child' here is the rubber parts top and bottom, but these are already acquired.

Is there an issue with using original Vx rubbers with Bilstein tube, large washer and nut?

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 05 May 2015, 15:09:41 »

The supplied Bilstein mounting is very cheaply made compared to the originals. The issue is that the GM lower rubber and metal tube are too long to fit the threaded part of the rod, the GM rods are at least a half inch longer.

The GM supplied nut is useless as the threads are different.

The solution is to use the GM estate lower rubber and corresponding tube with the GM washers and upper rubber and the supplied Bilstein nut.

The result is a perfect fit and a far more satisfactory mounting than the Bilstein one :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 May 2015, 15:55:19 »

If the tube is too long why can't you shorten it to suit the new shock? A hacksaw will do the job in seconds even if you're careful to cut squarely.

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 05 May 2015, 16:15:54 »

If the tube is too long why can't you shorten it to suit the new shock? A hacksaw will do the job in seconds even if you're careful to cut squarely.
The bush is also too long...

As seen here...

And still far more substantial than... the Bilstein supplied kit...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.