Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: autoleads steering wheel controls adapter help plz  (Read 4022 times)

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
autoleads steering wheel controls adapter help plz
« on: 24 December 2009, 22:15:04 »

can anyone tell me please what is the difference between autoleads 099-x04 from a rover and a 099-x06 for an omega, is the black box the same for all and the part numbers only relate to the different fittings of the multi plugs etc, i have a 099-x04 from my old rover and the sony patch lead to fit my sony head unit,

question also is will i lose the on board computer info like mpg etc stop watch, etc, trip miles,

thanks shark1e
2.5 cdtd omega 1999 manual estate Chipped and poorly at the moment -  is there a doctor in the house

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: autoleads steering wheel controls adapter help plz
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2009, 22:21:57 »

can anyone tell me please what is the difference between autoleads 099-x04 from a rover and a 099-x06 for an omega, is the black box the same for all and the part numbers only relate to the different fittings of the multi plugs etc, i have a 099-x04 from my old rover and the sony patch lead to fit my sony head unit,

question also is will i lose the on board computer info like mpg etc stop watch, etc, trip miles,

thanks shark1e

Point 1, sorry no idea.

Point 2, no you will keep those settings, they have nothing to do with the radio ;)

But you will loose station display on the mid, unless you get a display adapter as well

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2009, 22:27:41 »

What radio do you have at the moment?

AFAIK the only ones that rely on the steering wheel controls to control the computer display are the NCDC units (with satnav).
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2009, 23:57:29 »

car400 standard, but looking to install my sony head unit with remote socket on rear for steering controls.
2.5 cdtd omega 1999 manual estate Chipped and poorly at the moment -  is there a doctor in the house

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 December 2009, 00:57:45 »

This is a VERY sore subject for me right now. Hopefully to get sorted shortly  ;) ;) ;)

Put it this way..My Elite ORIGINALLY came with the Satnav system. At some point, some bugger took the Satnav/Cd/radio etc out and plonked in an aftermarket one....the wheel buttons did NOT work...nor would control of the trip computer.

I used the PC99-X06 and the wheel buttons now work...The trip computer still does not. The display works but only warning me of things...such as ICE BUT I can't reset the computer or use ANY of its functions. I'm convinced that a Omega with a built in SatNav/Phone etc system MUST have the original audio system in or simply the display will not work correctly. The only option, possibly, and hopefully this will be confirmed this Monday, is that the display needs to be swapped for an older MID.

That said, and this I suspect is important. Behind the radio bay are 3 connectors that bring wires from the steering column. 2 connectors obviously go in to the aftermarket headset. The 3 connector, in my case, a grey 20 pin connector, is empty. What on earth plugs in to it, I'm not sure but I suspect it was a further collection of wires that ran from the original audio system to control the display  and heck knows what else.

In my case the right hand stalk was incorrect..again some bugger had stolen that also and it had no end control buttons...so I fitted the correct stalk INCLUDING the small 4 wired connector which should control the display and its settings. Come Monday, with an older MID fitted, hopefully I'll regain control of the display as a result.

I just wish to heavens that someone could confirm what the "empty" 20 pin connector SHOULD be doing....what plugged in to it, where did it go and what did it do ? !  If it originally had something to do with the display, hopefully our little play on Monday should bypass it.

Its been a right ol' worry to me.
« Last Edit: 25 December 2009, 01:08:53 by duggs »

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 December 2009, 01:05:44 »

Spookliy I too have installed a Sony headunit BUT Halfrauds said i had to have the PC99-X06 along with the little lead that runs in to the back of the player in to the black box of the said X06. As mentioned, steering wheel buttons work....trip computer does not.

You could try using the X04 but i have my sincere doubts whether it would work.

PLEASE let me know how you get on and especially whether you still can control your display.

Is the display square or rectanglar ?

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 December 2009, 19:28:12 »

think it is square, top line has mpg etc, middle has radio station names, bottow line has clock etc,

thinking of going halfrauds in the morning to get some wiring and drop my sony headunit in, just don't want to lose my steering wheels controls or the fuel comsumptions etc on the top line,

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 December 2009, 20:09:41 »

just on halfrauds site and foud 2 diff leads for omegas upto 2000,

1:   http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_230653_langId_-1_categoryId_165626#dtab

2:   http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_230713_langId_-1_categoryId_165626

if you look at number 2 there are 3 multi plugs to connect into original looms, and only 2 on the first link, so is the 2nd for triple displays and the 1st for twin displays? i havev the car400 fitted so wonder if i need the 2nd link to keep all my mpg displays etc

any ideas appreciated

just got this off autoleads site, i have traffic master!!

Omega            
May-00      >      FOUR DIGIT STEREO MODEL      FP-19-00      DFP-19-00      DFPK-19-00 PC99-X06                  

Apr-94      May-00      THREE DIGIT STEREO MODEL       PC99-X06

Apr-94      May-00      With Taffic Master PC9-350 - PC99-X06      
« Last Edit: 25 December 2009, 20:20:45 by shark1e »

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 December 2009, 20:31:18 »

I have a picture of my 3 connectors and the second you linked too does NOT cover them all. The two on the right, the black ones, go in to the Sony unit but none of the others will fit in to my 3rd connector....tis the wrong shape...slightly, but wrong all the same. The nearest is the 3rd from right but just won't fit in to a vauxhall as far as mine is concerned.

Be carefull though....APART from the link you directed us too, Halfrauds, every other instance i could find suggests its Ford only. Might be a Halfrauds error.

I have to assume that the 3rd 20 pin connector went in to the back of the original SatNav unit and in my model it is totally redundant if swapped for an aftermarket headunit.
Might well be because i have a Sept 2000...your investigation would suggest i can only use the PC99-X06
« Last Edit: 25 December 2009, 20:49:45 by duggs »

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 December 2009, 20:52:37 »

unless the code is on the radio i'm stuffed if i disconnect it, not in my handbook file,

will just have to slowly take the car400 out and investigate,

wonder what will happen if i try to fit my rover 99-x04 leads urrrrrrrmmmmhhhh, do i don't i try it lol.

the other lead for the traffic master only needed if you want to keep the naff master lol better off with tomtom traffic aeril it's free,

will have  look in the morning and report back, really want to use my sony has it has bluetooth phone built in,

thanks shark1e

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 December 2009, 20:56:03 »

Quote "think it is square, top line has mpg etc, middle has radio station names, bottow line has clock etc,"

Square would suggest its a MID.....Mine is rectangular, a GID. Once its swapped back to a MID like yours, hopefully my stalk buttons will work again.

You may well be ok by just using the PC099-X06 and the little Sony lead...I'm assuming you control the computer by way of the right hand stalk's end buttons. I suspect the swap and new lead will allow you to use the wheels buttons again with an aftermarket with the stalk being unaffected.

As I may have mentioned, mine is a Sony Xplod with Bluetooth, USB also etc and it works fine now.

PLEASE let me know how you get on.
« Last Edit: 25 December 2009, 20:59:12 by duggs »

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 December 2009, 22:14:30 »

it was bugging me so out came the car400, ok temp fitted my pc99-x04 and pc-son patch on my sony xplod,

ok here we go,

full use of top display line i.e the onboard computer and can still zero readings,

can alter my volume and cd tracks up and down, but not with correct steering wheel buttons, i.e all mixed up and guess this is because i need the pc99-xo6 not the o4.

radio will not alter nor the volume on radio,

still have bottom display line which is the clock,

middle display line is now blank not even the date anymore.

so off to halfrauds in the morn to try the pc99-x07 which has the three multiblocks, if i'm correct this may return the date in the middle disply line, if not then will get the pc99-x06

will update once i get home

shark1e

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 December 2009, 22:54:34 »

Thank you bud....I wait with baited breath. I have a sneaky feeling the X07 won't work correctly....there appear to be too many Ford specific connectors on it.

Tell me...Behind your radio how many connectors did you have. I assume two almost identical which went in to the Xplod. Was there a third connector (20 pin) and did you have anything to plug in to it ? Mine remines empty ??

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 December 2009, 23:13:55 »

middle display line is now blank not even the date anymore.

The Omega has an amplified aerial via the rear screen heater. There is a module between the metal parcel shelf and the fibre one above it.

When you turn the radio on the radio livens a feed to the aerial amplifier. This also goes to the MID which blanks the timedate and waits for info from the radio to display instead.

Some people cut the wire to the MID, others get someone with Tech2 to code it to ignore the radio feed and display the timedate instead.

If you cut the wire in the wrong place you lose the aerial amplifier as well as regaining the time display.

HTH
« Last Edit: 26 December 2009, 17:59:25 by andyh »
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shark1e

• Intermediate Member
  • Stoke on Trent
    • Meega 2.5TD-CD Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2009, 09:09:57 »

thanks for the info, but i have the clock running after the head change, to be honest though, i thought the radio reception was not that strong, it seemed to be not picking up our local station signal1 from just 8 mile out of town,

thanks
shark1e
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.