Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trailer electrics  (Read 1666 times)

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
Trailer electrics
« on: 05 September 2015, 23:00:17 »

Having just ahd a towbar fitted to my estate I didn't really get the chance to have a look see at the electrical side of the fit until a couple of days later.
Horrors! Bloody scotchblock connectors! and one of em was really really close to the rear lamp connector, so close that it just pulled out when wiggled!
So, I need to tidy this up and get rid of those bloody things ( I hate them)
Does anyone have any pictures of their possibly factory install with connecting plugs from the lighting loom?
Does anyone have any idea what I can use to splice into the loom to make a proper plug/socket type connection
I'm back at home for the time being but intend to be over in Scotland before too long so I can get this sorted to look at least a little bit more professional!
Would a 6 way connector do the job...... It should do as I specified only the humble 7 pin connector mainly because all I will be pulling is a small trailer, nothing that would require that euro 13 pin job!

Can you guys that have towbars give me some ideas please.

TIA
Jon

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Trailer electrics
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2015, 23:02:32 »

Behind the spare wheel there is a connector for the tow bar electrics with everything you need. A relay is required for the indicators though, or get this from the light cluster.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2015, 08:54:02 »

Yep, proper connection is behind the trim on saloons and as described above on estates from memory. To ensure the existing car loom wires don't fail after the scotchlocks are removed i'd be inclined to cut the wires, solder them and shrink tube.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2015, 18:16:25 »

bear in mind that if you connect directly to where the trailer plug is, then the brake lights won't work becuse the plug is fed from up front (behind glove box/above driver's feet depending on whether facelift or not ..... & I now can't remember which is which) via a 'relay' base designed for the trailer check control relay.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2015, 19:23:27 »

bear in mind that if you connect directly to where the trailer plug is, then the brake lights won't work becuse the plug is fed from up front (behind glove box/above driver's feet depending on whether facelift or not ..... & I now can't remember which is which) via a 'relay' base designed for the trailer check control relay.

Behind glovebox on FL and above fuse box on MFL I believe. You can insert. Link wire between the 2 same-coloured wires though to make the brake lights work though. black and blue wire I think.

BTW does anyone have the part number for the correct relay on the MFL?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2015, 20:13:33 »

..... black and blue wire I think.
That's for the rear fogs. IIRC brake lights are black/yellow

BTW does anyone have the part number for the correct relay on the MFL?

90463123  :y

http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1175364013/0

bootie

• Enix, Almeria, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2015, 13:04:57 »

Right, good info there and yes the horrible scotchbloks will be removed with the wire's correctly soldered and heat shrink covered!
The bit about the plug in the back of the estate, does that hold good for the pre face lift as well? I noticed you only mentioned MFL and FL so thought I would double check.

Cheers

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2015, 19:00:11 »

Right, good info there and yes the horrible scotchbloks will be removed with the wire's correctly soldered and heat shrink covered!
The bit about the plug in the back of the estate, does that hold good for the pre face lift as well? I noticed you only mentioned MFL and FL so thought I would double check.

Cheers

I don't know, but just look in spare wheel void at rear - if it's there you won't miss it.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.