Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Foglight wiring 12N plug  (Read 1675 times)

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
Foglight wiring 12N plug
« on: 09 September 2007, 17:47:58 »

Had a look Omega estate towbar wiring this weekend. When I connect up to the caravan I have no fog lights  (on the caravan).  Found the cause the pin 2 (blue wire) is not connected to the cars wiring loom. Now this was obviously not connected for some reason or just overlooked by the fitters.
 As this is a legal requirement, and I may need to use the fog lights some time whilst towing I need to get them connected.
I've identified which cable is the fog on the cars wiring loom (black/green) is it just a case of connecting into this or will I need a relay or something to cancel the cars fogs when connected. Anyone done this on their Omega.
This wiring was done before I took ownership of the car, so I can't take it back to have it done.

Mick
« Last Edit: 09 September 2007, 17:51:09 by MickAP »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Foglight wiring 12N plug
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2007, 22:21:28 »

If you are going to wire in hi intensity rear fogs... make sure you get the 12N socket with the sprung loaded connector, this "breaks" the connection to the cars rear fogs when the 'van is plugged in. The reason for this is very very simple .. IF you ever tried to use the rear fogs whilst connected to the 'van.. and you don't have this type of socket .. you go blind from  the reflected glare of the front of the 'van very quickly .. IT IS DANGEROUS .. your vision is badly impaired !!

It may be for this reason that they have not connected the wire !!    although the correct socket is cheap !

http://www.towsure.com/category/7199-Towing_Sockets

see here - a whole 60p difference !!
« Last Edit: 09 September 2007, 22:22:08 by entwood »

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2007, 01:02:48 »

I have had a look at mine and it is wired as you suggest directly to the fog lamp . I stand to be corrected but I think the fog lights are not covered by the bulb failure monitor. The fog light cut out 12n socket needs 8 cores not the 7 as in the 12n cable I think you can get away with using 1 core to do both rear tail lights or both brake lights instead of one for each side. the reason you need the extra core is that the 12n with rear fog cut out is basically a switch contact which when the is plug is attached breakf the supply to the rear fogs on the car but still allows power to the trailer lights  

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2007, 01:07:10 »

Just remembered if you can remeber to occsionly operate the plug in the12n this prevents the con from working proply  

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2007, 09:56:39 »

You don't need an 8-core cable ( don't think they make one anyway!!) .. the 12N has an 8th connection to which the foglight power is connected, that is how the circuit is broken ...

read here, which also gives other options ....

http://www.cafibo.co.uk/wiring.php

:)

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2007, 11:55:45 »

You don't need an 8-core cable ( don't think they make one anyway!!) .. the 12N has an 8th connection to which the foglight power is connected, that is how the circuit is broken ...

read here, which also gives other options ....

http://www.cafibo.co.uk/wiring.php

:)

So can I just wire straight from the foglight circuit directly to this 8th connection if I buy the new socket, without any relay or extra wiring.
I've wired this type of socket before but don't know much about the car electrics and bulb failure sensing devices etc, so don't want to upset anything.

Mick

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2007, 12:03:18 »

As the link says, break the circuit to the fog lights on the car, attached the foglights to the eighth connection and the power to pin 2 of the socket. When the plug is NOT connected the flow will be from rear of pin 2 to pin 8 to car lights, when plug inserted connection to pin 8 is broken and flow is pin 2 to trailer fog lights.

This works perfectly on my v plate elite.

AKAIK the foglight circuit is not part of the bulb testing circuit, although I could be wrong !
« Last Edit: 10 September 2007, 12:04:24 by entwood »

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2007, 17:03:39 »

Thanks for that , I will get one ordered from Towsure.

Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.