Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parts List for Cam Change  (Read 1460 times)

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
Parts List for Cam Change
« on: 05 April 2007, 11:56:05 »

Hi all,

After a list of bits I will need to fit my 3.0L cams into 2.5 please..

So far I've got:

- Rocker Cover Gaskets
- Rocker Cover O-Rings
- Rocker Cover Sealant
- The Cams  ;)

I'll be needing to borrow a V6 locking Kit as well as someone expertise on these matters as I do not have the required skills to attempt this myself - lots of beer available for whoever would like to give me hand!

Cheers,

Chris.
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: Parts List for Cam Change
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2007, 12:27:04 »

Rocker cover sealant is the black stuff.

You will also need 4 camshaft oil seals, some green sealant for under the front cam bearing caps and a little locktite for water pump pulley bolts.

How old is you cam belt, tensioner and rollers? you will be removing it so consider changing it at the same time, also water pump if its in the 40k - 80k range.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2007, 12:27:58 »

Hi Chris,

You might need some sealant to seal under the front set of cam bearing caps. Probably different to the rocker cover sealant.
You will also need a set of camshaft oil seals.

Cam belt kit if it's close to renewal time.

That's about all I can think of. I'll happily lend a hand if I'm around.

Cheers,

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2007, 12:28:40 »

D'oh! Beat me to it!
 ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2007, 12:31:54 »

Cheers guys, question: what are cam shells and do they need replacing?

My cambelt, tensioner, rollers and waterpump were all done at the cambelt party in brackley by JamesV6CDX (cheers James  :y) about 12 weeks / 1500 miles ago - that should be ok I'm guessing..

So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2007, 12:32:27 »

Hi Chris,

You might need some sealant to seal under the front set of cam bearing caps. Probably different to the rocker cover sealant.
You will also need a set of camshaft oil seals.

Cam belt kit if it's close to renewal time.

That's about all I can think of. I'll happily lend a hand if I'm around.

Cheers,

Kevin

That would be great Kevin, hows your diary looking in the next couple of weeks?  :D

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2007, 14:03:01 »

Dont know where you heard the term cam shells, it usually refers to replaceable bearings which the camshafts run in, however the Ecotec engines have camshafts which run directly in the alloy head, there are no separate bearing 'shells'.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2007, 14:38:00 »

Dont know where you heard the term cam shells, it usually refers to replaceable bearings which the camshafts run in, however the Ecotec engines have camshafts which run directly in the alloy head, there are no separate bearing 'shells'.

Right ok, I shall be quiet then!

I've sorted everything out, got the sealant and the oil seals x4 now all I need is a locking kit and someone who knows what they're doing!

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2007, 14:59:32 »

Have you got the cambelt change DVD? this shows you how to replace the cambelt and re-time.

You will need a set of torx sockets and a T50 torx bit for the cam sprocket bolts. Also need a 24mm (iirc) open-ended spanner or adjustable spanner to hold the cams still while you undo or do-up the cam sprocket bolts. Some cellulose thinner or meths to clean faces before applying sealants.

I think everything else is straight-forward.

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2007, 15:09:29 »

Have you got the cambelt change DVD? this shows you how to replace the cambelt and re-time.

You will need a set of torx sockets and a T50 torx bit for the cam sprocket bolts. Also need a 24mm (iirc) open-ended spanner or adjustable spanner to hold the cams still while you undo or do-up the cam sprocket bolts. Some cellulose thinner or meths to clean faces before applying sealants.

No, but I think Ians has one so I'll ask if I can borrow that - I need to ask TheBoy about borrowing his v6 locking kit, although if JamesV6 still has it I may able to whip up there quickly to grab it if thats deemed ok...

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2007, 15:50:30 »

No, but I think Ians has one so I'll ask if I can borrow that - I need to ask TheBoy about borrowing his v6 locking kit, although if JamesV6 still has it I may able to whip up there quickly to grab it if thats deemed ok...

Seem to recall someone else wanted it tomorrow, not sure if I'll have my cambelt assembly on by then or not, if I have to redo the bearing shells.

If I don't, I guess, providing Jaime is happy, the kit will have to go to someone else who needs it, and I'll sort something out later...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.