Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mot Fail Advice please.  (Read 3051 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Mot Fail Advice please.
« on: 23 August 2012, 19:49:38 »

Talking about the little LPG Tigra Tardis 1.4 1998 (Corsa B), failed today.

Exhaust Emissions Lambda reading after 2nd Fast idle outside specific limits.
Exhaust Emissions Hydrocarbon content after 2nd Fast idle excessive.
Exhaust Emissions Carbon Monoxide content after 2nd Fast idle excessive.

So got them to do the Emissions again on LPG, same result would have been a fail, Engine was nice and hot, Cat Back Exhaust replaced last year so thinking not that, got home and had a quick poke about, idles at around 700 to 850, depending weither Gas or Petrol, does seem to slightly miss (lumpy not much) on Petrol but fine on Gas.

So knowing bugger all about these 1.4, this is the plan for the weekend, new plugs, check leads and measure impedance of Coil Pack. New Air Filter and due to hardly any petrol in there some injector treatment. Check for Air leaks and any blocked pipes, check vacum and maybe check or clean ICV ( if it has one).

No access to live data reader, so anything else I can check or do before handing it back for the Mot only to be told its the Cat or sensors?

Cheers Chris.

Edit, forgot to mention its been laid up for a month or 2 with no battery, do these ECU need any relearning for fuel trims etc.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2012, 19:52:14 by zirk »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Mot Fail Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2012, 19:54:24 »

If its been run on LPG for any length of time, I'd reset any trims, and run purely on petrol for a few days, and retest
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
Re: Mot Fail Advice please. (Emissions)
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2012, 19:57:33 »

If its been run on LPG for any length of time, I'd reset any trims, and run purely on petrol for a few days, and retest

yea its pretty much 99.9% on LPG, altough Ive just done a edit on the first post about no battery in there for nearly 2 months, I'll give a good blast on the proper stuff aswell, cheers TB.
« Last Edit: 23 August 2012, 20:09:00 by zirk »

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2012, 20:11:12 »

Yep Italian Tune up required  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2012, 02:29:06 »

Unless there has been a recent change (within the last 6 weeks) then the LPG emissions test is a basic emissions test... No Lambda and much higher tolerances ;)

Present it for mot running on LPG and tell him so, he has to test it to LPG emissions levels ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2012, 13:21:14 »

Unless there has been a recent change (within the last 6 weeks) then the LPG emissions test is a basic emissions test... No Lambda and much higher tolerances ;)

Present it for mot running on LPG and tell him so, he has to test it to LPG emissions levels ;)

He did LD, before the Tester wrote the fail, he tested the emissions again on LPG, ie, reset the machine to LPG and let it self calibrate before hand, I was standing next to Him, He even got me to rev the car for a few mins on Gas, and then checked again on idle, and said it would still fail on LPG, didn't no about the no lambder bit though, whats the higher tolerances for CO and HC over petrol?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2012, 14:11:22 »

He did LD, before the Tester wrote the fail, he tested the emissions again on LPG, ie, reset the machine to LPG and let it self calibrate before hand, I was standing next to Him, He even got me to rev the car for a few mins on Gas, and then checked again on idle, and said it would still fail on LPG, didn't no about the no lambder bit though, whats the higher tolerances for CO and HC over petrol?

A quick google search brought up this site: http://forums.motester.co.uk/forum3/1834.html

And this flow chart :y

www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000306.htm
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2012, 16:53:15 »

A quick google search brought up this site: http://forums.motester.co.uk/forum3/1834.html

And this flow chart :y

www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s07000306.htm

Thanks, interesting reading, seems a big jump, CO from 0.3 to 3.5% and HC 200 to 1200, just had a friendly chat with the MOT man to see if if I can do a test on Tuesday as a No Cat Test and after a good motorway thrashing... Hes response, no, as His emissions Anaylizer packed up this morning... Hmmm. Starting to wonder now.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 16:55:51 by zirk »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2012, 21:03:24 »

Right couldn't do a lot over the weekend due to no MOT, phoned the garage got booked in for work, wink, wink and took for a good ragging on petrol only, got back tick over got worse and good low miss fire every 2 secs fine for another 2 secs then repeats if you get mine drift, so its actually got worse now, switch to LPG missing stop but a bit more white smoke at tick over. Rev to 2500 for about 5 mins to keep the Cats warm, then suddenly EML light on (first time), code 0130 Lambda Sensor, so unpluged it no difference (still on Petrol all this time with fan kicking in).

So decided to measure the Lambda o/p on the DVM, about 0.2 Volts, if I pull a vac plpe off same, if I pull spark lead off (running rich?) it goes to arround 0,45 to 0.5, seem to remember these should go up to around 0.8v if it detects unburnt fuel, so the Lambda sort of works??.

So tomorrow, New Lambda??, or other suggestions please.

;) ;)
« Last Edit: 28 August 2012, 21:07:02 by zirk »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2012, 21:52:22 »

can't really do much useful with a dvm
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2012, 22:32:09 »

can't really do much useful with a dvm
Ture enough TB, times like this I wish I never got rid of my old RF Testset, that had a real handy portable decent scope on it. Realy must get some live data reader sorted out for pre ODB.

Just checked mylocal Euro Crap Parts, Lambda Sensor for that is 26 including, might worth the punt to prove the point, assuming I can get the thing off without removing the manifold, its all a bit cramped in there.

Other than that probably looking at diss pak and maybe some leads.

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2012, 22:49:26 »

wierd how you failed on lpg my mig failed on emissions but mot guy told me to switch to lpg as lambas are off when on lpg??? dont know if hes right -but as your mot guy had problem with machine??? mmmm strange
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2012, 23:52:28 »

wierd how you failed on lpg my mig failed on emissions but mot guy told me to switch to lpg as lambas are off when on lpg??? dont know if hes right -but as your mot guy had problem with machine??? mmmm strange

Not true.. On a modern car at any rate. Lambda sensors work just the same. MOT limits may be relaxed on LPG though. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 August 2012, 00:03:12 »

Not true.. On a modern car at any rate. Lambda sensors work just the same. MOT limits may be relaxed on LPG though. ;)

My understanding now (thanks to LD) is Petrol Cat test is O2 = 0.3% and HC 200, against an non Cat Test (presented with LPG, O2 3.5% and HC 1200, big difference, just waiting for the MOT Garage to get its Sun tester sorted out before a retest, if I fail on LPG retest then no ideas!!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2012, 14:19:22 »

Starting to get really peed with this now, replaced Lambda, and Air Flow Senso, in case it was throwing the O2 Lambda out, plugs, Air filter etc, cleaned EGR and inlet surrounds, ICV, no leaks another blast down Motorway and through all the gears then striaght on the ramp, CO a lot better than before but still a fail on both petrol and LPG, even as a non cat test.

Run out of ideas now, starting to think temp senors now etc although no issues with heat??

Anyone!

aaronjb

« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2012, 14:25:54 »

What were the CO & HC results on both petrol & gas when it failed?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2012, 14:28:34 »

Starting to get really peed with this now, replaced Lambda, and Air Flow Senso, in case it was throwing the O2 Lambda out, plugs, Air filter etc, cleaned EGR and inlet surrounds, ICV, no leaks another blast down Motorway and through all the gears then striaght on the ramp, CO a lot better than before but still a fail on both petrol and LPG, even as a non cat test.

Run out of ideas now, starting to think temp senors now etc although no issues with heat??

Anyone!

Time to plug it into diagnostics and have a look at live readings,intake air temp sensor and injection temp sensor values may help(gauge sensor is separate)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2012, 14:38:33 »

What were the CO & HC results on both petrol & gas when it failed?

On petrol CO hovering over 0.6, cant remember on LPG will need to ask the question again, but its definitly not right on petrol idle, intermittent low boom, ....boom from exhaust, disapears on gas but then gas produces more white smoke, even though its runs sweet on a run. If I rev to 2500 continuasly, every 10 seconds it drops to 2400 for a couple of seconds then back again, this doesn't happen on Gas.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 August 2012, 14:40:19 »

Anyone!

Time to plug it into diagnostics and have a look at live readings,intake air temp sensor and injection temp sensor values may help(gauge sensor is separate)

Hopefully getting that done next Tuesday, full diagnostics check. plus funds are starting to get a bit low on this project now.  :(
« Last Edit: 31 August 2012, 14:42:57 by zirk »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.