Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aircraft/history buffs  (Read 485 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Aircraft/history buffs
« on: 25 December 2021, 14:26:16 »

Amid all the dross that is Christmas TV there is a programme on More4 tonight at 7.55 called The Plane That Saved Britain[ok the programme may be a repeat and the subject in relation to the title debatable/arguable]about the "Wooden Wonder" or if you prefer the DeHavilland Mosquito.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Aircraft/history buffs
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2021, 16:40:00 »

Yes Baza, this is an excellent documentary on a slightly forgotten great WW2 plane, that is now available on Channel 4 catch up if you cannot see tonight’s broadcast.

A wonderful aircraft in many ways, and I can claim to have known a carpenter who maintained these planes during WW2, who taught me much about their structure. Sadly that man passed away 4 years ago. :'(

:y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2021, 18:22:48 »

Yes a very versatile aircraft which if I remember correctly began as a private venture by the DeHavilland company and went on to become a bomber,fighter bomber,fighter[both day and night]reconnaisance  and anti U-boat/shipping aircraft with a large[for an aircraft]canon.Fast and agile with long range capability,although it was said to be a difficult aircraft to exit in an emergency with a small hatch in the nose and removable panel in the roof of the cockpit.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 December 2021, 18:28:00 »

author=BazaJT link=topic=149039.msg1996822#msg1996822 date=1640456568]
Yes a very versatile aircraft which if I remember correctly began as a private venture by the DeHavilland company and went on to become a bomber,fighter bomber,fighter[both day and night]reconnaisance  and anti U-boat/shipping aircraft with a large[for an aircraft]canon.Fast and agile with long range capability,although it was said to be a difficult aircraft to exit in an emergency with a small hatch in the nose and removable panel in the roof of the cockpit.

Yes, it was the first aircraft to become a multi task fighter bomber, and a forerunner of our multi task planes today ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2022, 16:01:00 »

With Christmas now out of the way and with so much dross on TV, I have now read your recommended book Baza, Dresden: Fire and the Darkness by Sinclair McKay, Penguin Books 2020.

This work on the subject of the 13th/14th February, 1945 air raids finely describes in much detail, and through the expected prime witness accounts given to a respected historian, the full blown experiences, with the extreme horrors encountered given by them, of life in Dresden before, during and post the event. McKay correctly discusses the many military reasons and moral positions of the raids, and although he comes close to supporting the idea, with great references, that these acts boarded on being "Terror raids" and without true justification, he wisely concludes that this is what comes from the "Total War" that Hitler self proclaimed and promulgated. The whole situation must be considered from a wider prospective when laying down accusations of guilt, with all the tragic and very costly events of the whole war being taken into account, not least and including the Coventry raid by the Luftwaffe in 1940.

My position is currently unchanged; this raid was understandable and justified when considered in context - that crucial consideration when reading history - of the then contemporary situation.

I will now re-read as promised the book I studied at uni 12 years ago:  Dresden: Tuesday 13th February 1945 Frederick Taylor Bloomsbury Publishing 2005, and re-appraise my conclusion after that.

Back to reading Baza................!! :y :y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2022, 18:36:33 »

A great aircraft which really made an impact especially  when it was upgraded with the two speed,  two stage type supercharged Merlins👍
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.