Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 'professional drivers' .....  (Read 15386 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: 'professional drivers' .....
« Reply #30 on: 21 August 2020, 17:23:46 »

I must have missed the bit in the highway code that entitles HGV drivers to be driving on the limiter 100% of the time without ever lifting off or showing regard for the traffic around them. :-X
likewise .....  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 August 2020, 17:28:34 »

I must have missed the bit in the highway code that entitles HGV drivers to be driving on the limiter 100% of the time without ever lifting off or showing regard for the traffic around them. :-X
You didn't, but equally I would wager that you don't actively sit at 50-55 anywhere near them either ;)
but as above, sometimes the limit is 50, but HGV's don't often take much notice.

Or when the motorway is only doing 60/65 at rush hour & all 3 or 4 lanes are full, it's not uncommon to find said HGV right up your harris as POD says. Try going west towards Rochdale on the M62 (not that you'd want to go east  ::) ;)) at rush hour and you'll see what I mean  :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 August 2020, 17:46:28 »

Oh FFS!

DG is absolutely right.  If you want to travel at an indicated 55mph, you are at the prime speed where HGV's will be quicker on the flat and slower on even a slight incline.  If you feel so compelled to put yourself in this position, then kudos for the massive plums you have.  I certainly wouldn't want to be playing a game of 'ME or YOU' with a 44t Artic.  As advised, adjust your speed up or down by a couple of MPH and everyone will be happy.

Just because you feel like you've taken the moral highground, doesn't mean you are right or wrong.  Just accept that not everyone is of the same mindset.

Seperate yourself from the problem, don't be a contributor to the problem!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 August 2020, 17:50:14 »

Found the bit of motorway   :) ... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7207725,-1.2892537,3a,75y,197.82h,69.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slIIuG84nzyOdSSneDhDaDw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en-GB..

I was in the left lane .... the tipper was going to Hull and started his overtake on the uphill!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 August 2020, 18:01:07 »

Oh FFS!

DG is absolutely right.  If you want to travel at an indicated 55mph, you are at the prime speed where HGV's will be quicker on the flat and slower on even a slight incline.  If you feel so compelled to put yourself in this position, then kudos for the massive plums you have.  I certainly wouldn't want to be playing a game of 'ME or YOU' with a 44t Artic.  As advised, adjust your speed up or down by a couple of MPH and everyone will be happy.

Just because you feel like you've taken the moral highground, doesn't mean you are right or wrong.  Just accept that not everyone is of the same mindset.

Get f&&&ed! ..... the motorway was relatively quiet. The HGV started his overtake as we left the M1, I saw him do so. Was I supposed to read his mind as to where he was going? The first hint I got of where he might want to go was when we were over the top of the M1 and I saw his left hand indicator flashing .... I wasn't really sure whether that was still from leaving the M1 or not. He sounded his horn when he was alongside me by which time were virtually at his junction. Why the f*** would I be expected to slow right down to let him across?
I give HGV drivers a lot of slack. I'm the first to allow them out at a junction around town and give them room to make their turn, but I'm not being bullied by some knobhead who think he should drive to his limiter & everyone else around him  should get out of his way!

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 August 2020, 18:07:45 »

Oh FFS!

Get f&&&ed! ..... the motorway was relatively quiet. The HGV started his overtake as we left the M1, I saw him do so. Was I supposed to read his mind as to where he was going? The first hint I got of where he might want to go was when we were over the top of the M1 and I saw his left hand indicator flashing .... I wasn't really sure whether that was still from leaving the M1 or not. He sounded his horn when he was alongside me by which time were virtually at his junction. Why the f*** would I be expected to slow right down to let him across?
I give HGV drivers a lot of slack. I'm the first to allow them out at a junction around town and give them room to make their turn, but I'm not being bullied by some knobhead who think he should drive to his limiter & everyone else around him  should get out of his way!

Hey now.  I completely agree that, in this instance, he was in the wrong.  The point I was reinforcing, is simple...... at a constant INDICATED 55mph, you are putting yourself into a 'zone' where HGV's will find you slightly irritating.  Drive how you want, it's not my problem, and I very much doubt our vehicular paths will ever cross.  He was a knob, and tbh, I think you didn't help the scenario which panned out.  As already said, don't allow yourself to be in this position....... you can control you, you cant control them.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 August 2020, 18:25:19 »

I know what you mean, every busy dual carriageway/motorway is the same.

And it's no more ok for them to drive like that than it is for any car driver to expect everyone else to get out of the way when they want to do 85+ everywhere.

The trouble is, that everyone believes that they are exclusively right whilst thee rest of the world is completely and utterly wrong. Ridiculous 'adaptive' speed limits, smart motorways and that most drivers are complete morons once on a motorway all serve to compound the problem. Removing limiters and the NSL would actually allow the network to work better, but neither will happen.

Personally speaking, I will actively undertake a slower vehicle, regardless of what I am driving, but only to pass them within the limit and only to avoid moving three lanes and back (not the same as passing everthing at any cost).

To answer Kevin's point, I believe there is a section of the highway code that suggests removing yourself from a situation that you find intimidating.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 August 2020, 18:32:20 »

Found it...

Rule 125. BE CONSIDERATE ;)

Oddly, it comes after Rule 124. ADAPT YOUR DRIVING.  ::)

But to be clear, tipper drivers are all Cants. I have yet to encounter one who demonstrates otherwise.
Locally, it's not uncommon to see them turn left from the right hand lane of a dual carriage way. At a roundabout. Into a single carriageway.

Ocado drivers are tipper drivers without HGV licences, but that's a whole different rant :D
« Last Edit: 21 August 2020, 18:38:32 by Doctor Gollum »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 August 2020, 18:49:06 »

and tbh, I think you didn't help the scenario which panned out.   ....

You keep putting this on my shoulders. As said, I'd seen him, it's not I'd only just noticed him as he was alongside me. I saw his left indicators flashing, what would you have thought they meant? I'm moving left or I've forgotten to cancel them from a little earlier? He then sounded his horn! So what? I carried on as I'd been doing for miles beforehand.
We've all oppsed up at some stage on a motorway by either lack of concentration, or completely misjudging someone else's speed and been in the wrong lane for a junction, but you take it on the chin & take the next exit, not expect someone else to slow right down to let you leave late.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 August 2020, 18:52:06 »

Personally speaking, I will actively undertake a slower vehicle, regardless of what I am driving, but only to pass them within the limit and only to avoid moving three lanes and back (not the same as passing everthing at any cost).
I've done the same many many times. Usually in the evening/night when there's sod all on the road & someone wants to drive at 69.9 mph in lane 2 of 3 or lane 3 of 4

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 August 2020, 19:32:17 »

and tbh, I think you didn't help the scenario which panned out.   ....

You keep putting this on my shoulders.

If that's how you've interpreted my replies, then allow me to make this even more clear.

HE WAS A KNOB BUT YOU DIDN'T HELP THE SITUATION!

Keep driving at an indicated 55mph (as you said earlier in the thread, that is the speed you are 'happy' at).  Sadly, you'll find yourself in this position time and time again.  Your actions contriubted to the situation.... simply moving forward at 2mph faster or slower and the chances of this occurance are almost nil.

I also hold my hands up to legally passing a slower moving vehicle in an outer lane.  It's quite a safe manouver if you have a clear hard-shoulder to rely on if dick-head suddenly decides to pull into lane 1.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 August 2020, 19:35:57 »

As some folk seem to try and justify the way HGV drivers are seen to behave .. could they please, somehow, justify this appalling driving ??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlgxq14ar569zjo/M5%20HGV.avi?dl=0

Note, there is a slight glitch between the sections at the end of the first minute, which is shown for context. Please ignore the date/time as the dashcam satnav had a timing fault (now fixed)...speed readout is correct however.... this was back in June, filmed from the Audi

I await comments with some interest ......
« Last Edit: 21 August 2020, 19:43:05 by Entwood »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 August 2020, 19:41:51 »

That needs handing over to a Traffic Commissioner.

As the Driver and Operator and Transport Manager all need to be called in to explain themselves.

Nothing more to say, but unless his brakes failed and he's running downhill fully loaded, there's no legitimate reason for that.

Apologies if that's not the argument you wanted, but that's pretty much indefensible  ;)
« Last Edit: 21 August 2020, 19:43:35 by Doctor Gollum »

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 August 2020, 19:44:39 »

As some folk seem to try and justify the way HGV drivers are seen to behave .. could they please, somehow, justify this appalling driving ??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tlgxq14ar569zjo/M5%20HGV.avi?dl=0

Note, there is a slight glitch between the sections at the end of the first minute, which is shown for context. Please ignore the date/time as the dashcam satnav had a timing fault (now fixed)... this was back in June, filmed from the Audi

I await comments with some interest ......

No excuse for being in the 3rd lane of a 3lane highway, unless a major failure of brakes.

No justification here.  Clearly found his/her way around the limiter.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 August 2020, 19:45:04 »

Credit where it's due, at least he indicated :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.