Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: A nice new home for my Omega's - Build Thread  (Read 29962 times)

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
Re: A nice new home for my Omega's - Build Thread
« Reply #45 on: 12 February 2013, 20:19:47 »

Bloody hell, 63 amp supply? What were you going to run in there?  good thread twiglet. If only I was in a position to have one as well.
Keith B

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 12 February 2013, 20:49:34 »

Just get a proper 4 post lift and be done with.Its not like you to go for 2nd best option. ;) :D

Besides.I dont want a half equipped workshop when I bring my car up to work on it. :P ;D ;D

You joke, but I have seriously considered it!  The problem with a fixed ramp is it's in the way when you're not using it.  And I want to be able to have a nice clear space for when I'm detailling.  :y

How's about a single phase two poster,doesn't take up so much space and not much different in price to those resto ramps ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
  • 2008 BMW E61 535D LCi M Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 12 February 2013, 20:57:37 »

Just get a proper 4 post lift and be done with.Its not like you to go for 2nd best option. ;) :D

Besides.I dont want a half equipped workshop when I bring my car up to work on it. :P ;D ;D

You joke, but I have seriously considered it!  The problem with a fixed ramp is it's in the way when you're not using it.  And I want to be able to have a nice clear space for when I'm detailling.  :y

How's about a single phase two poster,doesn't take up so much space and not much different in price to those resto ramps ???

Funny you should say that mate.  That's exactly what I've been looking at this evening.  About £1200 for a brand new, single phase 2 poster, with 3.5T capacity.  It still leaves me with the problem of it being in the way when not in use though.  :-\
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 12 February 2013, 21:37:54 »

Funny you should say that mate.  That's exactly what I've been looking at this evening.  About £1200 for a brand new, single phase 2 poster, with 3.5T capacity.  It still leaves me with the problem of it being in the way when not in use though.  :-\

Scissor lift set into the floor,but you need more wonga :D :D

summit like this :y        http://www.valuegarageequipment.com/index.php/products/scissor-lifts/3-tonne-full-rise-scissor-lift
« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 21:42:04 by henryd »
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 February 2013, 04:40:48 »

Excellent stuff James great to see it all under way etc but wow all that spoil/top soil never imagined that .Is the front garden now 6ft higher

be interesting to see what the costs are, cant find the pm now, anyway all looking good mate looking forward to more pics etc :y :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 February 2013, 08:14:40 »

Do you mean something like this...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-commando-interlocked-angled-socket-32a-200-250v-ip44/45929

Yup that's the badger :y I had one put in (16A, I think, I'd have to go and check the breaker, but the wiring etc is sized for more) for future expansion, so to speak.. the spark thought I'd gone mad - then again all three that quoted looked at me like I'd gone nuts when I said 11 double sockets at 16mm SWA feed! (Settled on 10mm in the end as 16mm wouldn't go through the conduit ;D )

To be honest, there are not many occasions when you need greater than a 135amp welder and they will run of 13A and on the very rare occasion you do, therfe are techniques to weld the thicker stuff. To put it into perseptive, I often weld BIg stuff (much larger than vehicle metalwork) and have never wished I had a bigger welder (although I do have access to larger if needed).  :y

As for the mm feed, the length from the supply is critical as to how much current draw you can support.

aaronjb

« Reply #51 on: 13 February 2013, 08:41:58 »

As for the mm feed, the length from the supply is critical as to how much current draw you can support.

That's why I was planning on 16mm2 :y Naturally I ditched the first spark who quoted who suggested 1.5mm2 SWA.. ;D

cleggy

« Reply #52 on: 13 February 2013, 09:30:19 »

I must admit this is a brilliant thread  :y :y Jealous as hell, add a sink, bog and shower and SWMBO could live in it  ;);D ;D

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 13 February 2013, 12:42:10 »

I must admit this is a brilliant thread  :y :y Jealous as hell, add a sink, bog and shower and SWMBO could live in it  ;);D ;D

I thought it was going to be a oof hotel ;D

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • 2001 2.6 CD Auto Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13 February 2013, 14:17:41 »

Great thread, I was just wondering about the bloke who buys your house in 60 years time and decides to clear the back garden to grow some carrotts, man will he be cursing you for "over engineering"  ;D

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 13 February 2013, 18:27:18 »

Scissor lift set into the floor,but you need more wonga :D :D

summit like this :y        http://www.valuegarageequipment.com/index.php/products/scissor-lifts/3-tonne-full-rise-scissor-lift

Considered these too, but I think they limit what you can do under the car.  Things like exhaust and gearbox work would be impossible.  :-\

I would if it would be possible to mount a 2 post lift on heavy duty castors, so that it could be pushed out of the way when not in use.  That would be the ultimate solution for me.  :y
It doesn't matter how far you push the envelope, it will always be stationery...

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 13 February 2013, 18:28:33 »

Excellent stuff James great to see it all under way etc but wow all that spoil/top soil never imagined that .Is the front garden now 6ft higher

be interesting to see what the costs are, cant find the pm now, anyway all looking good mate looking forward to more pics etc :y :y

More like 10ft!  ::)  I'll take some pictures of the 'mountain' at the weekend.  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 13 February 2013, 19:53:38 »

If you're going to do summat ::)

Though at two grand each, and you'll need four of them... if it were me I think I would live with a post possibly being in the way some of the time :-\

Coming along nicely though :y

twiglet

• Omega Baron
  • Norwich, Norfolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 14 February 2013, 10:15:16 »

So next job was to fit the roof trusses, and get everything braced.  I decided to tackle this job myself, with the help of a couple of mates.  Surprising, it only took 1 day to get all 14 trusses in position, and all the bracing cut and fixed.  I was really chuffed with the result, and even more so when the Building Control inspector signed off the roof, complimenting me on the thoroughness of the work.  :y

More to come...  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.