Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 38   Go Down

Author Topic: Scimitar MV6  (Read 77266 times)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scimitar MV6
« Reply #285 on: 20 January 2013, 07:31:44 »

Thanks EMD there will be a lot more standing and looking at the problem before a desent solution presents itself. I'be got to get the polycarb first too. 

It seems the scimitar has been used for quite a number of odd builds :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 20 January 2013, 11:36:58 »

I love following your updates.

It seems the lug that holds the boot shut (on the boot lid), is made of some kind of a cheese based alloy, and while it might taste good its pretty useless at being hard wearing.   Very funny. I have encountered many such components on my bus. ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

omega3000

« Reply #287 on: 20 January 2013, 17:48:45 »

I love following your updates.

It seems the lug that holds the boot shut (on the boot lid), is made of some kind of a cheese based alloy, and while it might taste good its pretty useless at being hard wearing.   Very funny. I have encountered many such components on my bus. ;D ;D

And cars made in france  :( ;D

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 21 January 2013, 07:48:32 »

Its a pain, I guess they didn't stop and wonder what the parts would look like 37 years later!   Or 5 years later in the case of french cars :)

omega3000

« Reply #289 on: 21 January 2013, 08:52:00 »

Its a pain, I guess they didn't stop and wonder what the parts would look like 37 years later!  Or 5 years later in the case of french cars :)

:( :( :'( :'( like a sump bolt made of cheese  >:(

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • 2.2 & 2.5 Ginetta build
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 21 January 2013, 11:49:24 »

With the rest of the cars weight saving, and now the doors getting 'the chop', are you plaiing on just fitting a rear cage/hoop or front cage and door bars as well ?
not only for safety but chassis rigidity

M

albitz

« Reply #291 on: 21 January 2013, 11:53:01 »

Its a pain, I guess they didn't stop and wonder what the parts would look like 37 years later!   Or 5 years minutes later in the case of french cars :)

Fixed. :y

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 22 January 2013, 07:22:57 »

Thanks Albitz, that was a typo!

I hadn't planned any chassis bracing work really, I was going to fit a rear hoop for safety.  I'm a firm believer in GRP, its very very strong, but I can't see the thin pillars around the windows supporting the weight of the car if it flips, so I'm adding a roll hoop in case I run out of driving talent, and when working on the doors (and looking at a few vids of side impacts) I thought I'd better put some door bars in too. 

You know what though, you've planted the seed of thought now.......

The roll bar would be there and the support bars onto the chassis further back, and now the door bars too........

But to get real chassis rigidity the door bars would need to of the X type, this means I'd have to fix a bar to the top of the suspension at the front of the car, and that would mean major major surgery, I've have to change to a remote brake servo and completely butcher the bulkhead and inner wing area of the GRP. 

I'm not sure a driver of my talent would ever know difference after having gone to a massive amount of effort. 
« Last Edit: 22 January 2013, 07:25:06 by lozzzzzz »

omega3000

« Reply #293 on: 22 January 2013, 15:23:36 »

Thanks Albitz, that was a typo!

I hadn't planned any chassis bracing work really, I was going to fit a rear hoop for safety.  I'm a firm believer in GRP, its very very strong, but I can't see the thin pillars around the windows supporting the weight of the car if it flips, so I'm adding a roll hoop in case I run out of driving talent, and when working on the doors (and looking at a few vids of side impacts) I thought I'd better put some door bars in too. 

You know what though, you've planted the seed of thought now.......

The roll bar would be there and the support bars onto the chassis further back, and now the door bars too........

But to get real chassis rigidity the door bars would need to of the X type, this means I'd have to fix a bar to the top of the suspension at the front of the car, and that would mean major major surgery, I've have to change to a remote brake servo and completely butcher the bulkhead and inner wing area of the GRP. 

I'm not sure a driver of my talent would ever know difference after having gone to a massive amount of effort.

More to come  :( It keeps you busy lozz  :y

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 23 January 2013, 07:18:11 »

Did I miss a "More to come" I am very sorry :) :)

EMD I'm not sure I could take this on so close to the end of the project, it would mean pulling lots of hard work apart and redoing lots of things. 

There are a number of things on the car that have a question mark over them too, I might have built a very noisy thing that will not handle (the new lower wishbones might be wrong) or that might not be able to move (the experimental clutch plate might not take the torque) or a car that rattle like crap (if the exhausts hit the chassis on hard acceleration).  So its defo on the future list but I'm not sure that investing further in the car is a good idea without having tested it a bit. 

Please don't stop the encouragement though, these forums fuel the project!

I'll get it road worthy first, put the half cage in and bucket seats, get some track action, then supercharge it, then if it turns out I've made an unstoppable race car then I'll put a full cage in :) :)

More to come ;)
« Last Edit: 23 January 2013, 07:19:58 by lozzzzzz »

omega3000

« Reply #295 on: 23 January 2013, 08:21:54 »

Well you have done a good job so far lozz , just a case of trial and error then a few adjustments . Like you said get it on the road first  8) Looking forward to seeing it all up and running  ;) I cant give any technical advice myself as ive never built one of my own but looks like your nearly there now  :)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 24 January 2013, 07:31:09 »

Its getting less and less, but for every two things on the list that I complete another one appears. 

The list of things to do before its on the road is as follows (in its entirety):

Paint the bonnet and fit it (easy, but paint hasn't arrived)
Put convex glass in one of the side mirrors (easy but haven't got the glass yet)
Finish the doors, cut the polycarb to shape and make a raising mechanism (not easy, still requires a little thinking)
Make some kind of a draft excluder around the door hinge area (not to hard, not sure how yet though)
Fit doors (easy)
Fit new Gaz shock (easy)
Set camber and tracking (need to borrow the tools)
Crimp ends of the LPG line and fit gas hoses (not too bad, need to borrow the tool)
and finally fit the propshaft (easy)

Its a little longer than I thought, but its not far off compared to this time 2 years ago :) :)

There is another list of things before I want to take it on a track day though.  I'l hopefully be starting the window mechanism on Sunday if the polycarb arrives

More to come

omega3000

« Reply #297 on: 24 January 2013, 09:08:03 »

I didnt realize its been 2 years blood sweat and tears  :o I can just imagine what it will feel like to finally jump in the car for the first time and drive it down the road with "no more to come" not on this particular project anyway . Cant remember did you say you were fitting a supercharger ? Or is that someone elses project  ::)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 24 January 2013, 11:31:24 »

That's the plan yeah!  If it drives well, and seems like it could take a bit more power, then I will supercharge it. I think just over 300hp will be spot on without turning it into a dangerous straight line car. 

It won't be straight away though, teething problems first.  I CAN'T WAIT to drive it, like you said it will be an amazing feeling :)

omega3000

« Reply #299 on: 24 January 2013, 11:33:02 »

Then there will be what tyres to put on it to help you keep it on the road  :y
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 38   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.