Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Time till fans come on?  (Read 2971 times)

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
Time till fans come on?
« on: 26 November 2006, 12:35:25 »

When should the 2 big fans by the radiator come on? I'm going to try and flush my coolant today to help with my overheating problem but I'm wondering if my fans are working properly. I drove around for at least an hour and a half yesterday and at one point while going up a hill the temp got to 105. When I got home I opened the bonnet and no fans were on - should they have been after all this time? I don't really know how it's supposed to work.
Thanks!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Time till fans come on?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2006, 12:44:54 »

The fans should come on well before then

You need to check the sensor(switch) and also the fuse for the fan

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2006, 12:59:42 »

im sure mines ticks over warm at 95 degrees with fan 1 coming on a few degrees higher....will check when i go back out and inevitably hit a traffic jam :-/

Should be on before 105 though....
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2006, 13:01:10 »

Thanks for that, one more thing though, once the fans come on do they stay on? Could the fans have come on and then gone off again by the time I'd stopped?
Cheers.

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2006, 13:05:25 »

they will stay on till they do there job - ie cool the engine, but mines are normally on for a miinute or so before going off  - its not uncommon though for me to have stoped and parked my car and the fans to run on for a few more seconds....
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2006, 13:06:40 »

....so in answer to your question - if they come on and stay on permenantly - then your engines too hot or theres an issue with the switch/ fans.... :-/ not a coolant expert to be honest but i am sure a " knowledgable one" will be along at some point today  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2006, 18:33:33 »

Unplug coolant switch (just under top coolant hose). Short pins 1 and 2 of loom, if fans come on, then coolant switch knackered.  Also flush coolant whilst you're are it, as poor coolant maintenece tends to ruin the switches...
Grumpy old man

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2006, 19:21:24 »

Also check the fuses, Its the 2 green 30amps under the bonnet fuse box  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 November 2006, 19:29:32 »

Also check the fuses, Its the 2 green 30amps under the bonnet fuse box  :y
And the relays in same box - layout varies with car age and features.....
Grumpy old man

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2006, 16:33:18 »

Unplug coolant switch (just under top coolant hose). Short pins 1 and 2 of loom, if fans come on, then coolant switch knackered.

I don't suppose anyone could be ever so kind and post a picture of where this is? I don't have a clue...
Thanks for everyone's suggestions
Andy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2006, 17:35:35 »

I don't have piccie, but looking at engine from front...

...battery on right, just to left of battery is think coolant hose (about 2.5" diameter) which attaches to radiator.  Just below this, screwing in to back of radiator is rad switch (30mm spanner fits, though don't undo).

Hope that helps...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2006, 19:00:42 »

When should the 2 big fans by the radiator come on? I'm going to try and flush my coolant today to help with my overheating problem but I'm wondering if my fans are working properly. I drove around for at least an hour and a half yesterday and at one point while going up a hill the temp got to 105. When I got home I opened the bonnet and no fans were on - should they have been after all this time? I don't really know how it's supposed to work.
Thanks!

Can i ask which fans you are talking about?
Only reason i ask is.....if its the 2 fans in front of the rad....then they are the air con/climate fans....so they will only be runnng if you have the air con/climate turned on.....Its the fan behind the rad (nearest the engine) that does the cooling for the engine.

Theres 3 fans on a V6, 2 fans on a 4 pot, if you have air con/climate  :y
« Last Edit: 27 November 2006, 19:04:41 by Taxi_Driver »

AndersH

• Intermediate Member
  • Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2006, 19:37:53 »

I think I have a problem with all 3, when I had my aircon regassed I was told that it was cooling down ok but pressure was building up in the aircon system and a fan should kick in and cool it down. The temp from the vents would also start rising at this point. I have never seen any of the 3 fans on!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2006, 20:41:55 »

I think I have a problem with all 3, when I had my aircon regassed I was told that it was cooling down ok but pressure was building up in the aircon system and a fan should kick in and cool it down. The temp from the vents would also start rising at this point. I have never seen any of the 3 fans on!

ok if you have the aircon/climate on, the two fans at the front of the rad should be running all the time
.....unless its blooming cold where you are at the mo and the aircon might not be switching on..below about 5/6C...the fan nearest the engine should cut in and out to keep the engine cool

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 November 2006, 21:04:36 »

ok if you have the aircon/climate on, the two fans at the front of the rad should be running all the time
.....unless its blooming cold where you are at the mo and the aircon might not be switching on..below about 5/6C...the fan nearest the engine should cut in and out to keep the engine cool
I may be wrong, thought only one fan came on with AC
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.