Author Topic: OH, NO  (Read 1438 times)

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
OH, NO
« on: 25 May 2007, 22:22:35 »

Hi everyone,

Had a slight accident on the weekend as in i drove my car into the back of a toyota matiz and done a bit of damage to the front of the car, It also hit the prop apart from the spline in the middle, Now all day yesterday it took me to get the prop together and refit, Now is where the problems start There is a knocking coming from the gearbox, The car seems to drive nice and quiet but when you stop with engine running the knocking and grumbling returns, Whats up guys, Any ideas

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: OH, NO
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2007, 23:32:21 »

Prop shaft..? are you referring to the front end of the crankshaft, i.e. the crank pulley area? must have been some crash if the front was knocked that far back?  :o

Alas, no more Omegas....

miggy

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2007, 00:06:31 »

I would like to see the matiz if it split the prop in the centre, If you have repaired the prop I would look in the engine bay at the engine mountains, if the engine moved back that far it could have misaligned or pulled apart the above, also check the gearbox mountains.

paul.c

• Intermediate Member
  • east calder scotland
  • hands off shes mine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2007, 01:17:29 »

surely this must have poped the air bags ?

mv6copcar

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex, Halstead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2007, 21:19:19 »

i had a smack with a tree (the tree wasn't looking where it was going!) soft enough not to set of the air bags but still done damage. the sound you will be hearing is the gearbox/prop rubber mounting(i think). it sits directly under the gear selector. what happens is that even in a small bump,these mountings seem to fail for some reason. jack up one side,look under the car. give the prop a shake and see if there is play in it.
HTH
Good luck

ANDY8

• FAR FAR AWAY
  • V6 POWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2007, 00:58:40 »

i had a smack with a tree (the tree wasn't looking where it was going!) soft enough not to set of the air bags but still done damage. the sound you will be hearing is the gearbox/prop rubber mounting(i think). it sits directly under the gear selector. what happens is that even in a small bump,these mountings seem to fail for some reason. jack up one side,look under the car. give the prop a shake and see if there is play in it.
HTH
Good luck

You are spot on m8, :)  Cheers,  I looked under the car this evening and it was exactly like you said,  Used a couple of zip ties to hold it back into place as it had moved slightly fowards and at last no more knocking,  Hip Hip Horray :y

Thanks for all the help guys
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.