Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a cooker  (Read 3679 times)

chrisgixer

Need a cooker
« on: 14 October 2013, 23:12:31 »

20 year old hotpoint stand alone electric cooker with halogen rings has finally given up the goast. Main halogen ring gone pop. Buttons failed, which won't allow the oven to set unless the clock is in use. Top oven never worked.

Halogen hobs no longer made as inefficient. Parts hard to obtain.

New cooker.

Thoughts please. Beko cheapest. But never buy cheapest. Plus Beko can't make fridges....?

05omegav6

Re: Need a cooker
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2013, 23:19:37 »

From our own experience...

SMEG are shyte... had a range of theirs, never worked properly from new.

Bosch excellent, last well, logical controls, not cheap, but quality value for money :y

Would you replace like for like or considering built in :-\

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2013, 23:39:39 »

Induction hob every time, but you will probably need new pans ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2013, 23:47:13 »

It's for a rental property, so induction is out. :(

Must be free standing. Reliable is top of the list. Followed by value. :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2013, 23:48:26 »

Ahh... In that case the cheapest tat you can get :-X ;D
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2013, 23:56:29 »

Mmmno they are good tenants and the place is kept tiptop. They will look after it. So want something that won't let us all down. :)

Comet have gone. Currys had 4 on show. Two cheap tat 500 wide beko things. And two at over £600. Oh sigh...

Miller brothers web site is playing up. Sigh...

Argos... I'd like to lay eye on it before its fitted. Sigh...

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2013, 01:02:49 »

How much do you want to spend Chris?

I don't supply any appliances in my rentals now, but in the past I've put in new seconds (Graded) or reconditioned.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2013, 01:08:38 »

Well, as usual, I'd like a silk purse for the cost of a sou's ear. Which is the real trick really, isn't it? :)

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2013, 01:10:25 »

Previous one was a hotpoint ew81 double oven. Clock/timer being important.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2013, 01:44:27 »

I'd avoid Beko like the plague.....  I've been happy over the years with Electrolux,  Hotpoint and Whirlpool,   our current double oven is a whirlpool ,   and it's jolly efficient,  apparently it's a bit different to the run of the mill fan ovens,    uses some sort of fast heating element, and more aggressive air movement,   it's bloody quick up to temperature, and does a nice even roast.....   

to be honest,  in the long run,  you might be better off putting a new piece of work surface and base unit in there,  and fitting a built under Oven and hob... 

(if you like em,  make it a double oven, singles are bloody useless...  )   thus ,  as and when one eventually fails,  you only have to replace that unit, not the whole sodding cooking facility....   

for the price of a bit of work top and a base unit,  i reckon it makes sense....

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2013, 01:47:24 »

look on the bay of pigs for end of line clearance units......    I got our whirpool,  brand new,  RRP over £700 ,  i paid £140,  + i went and collected it...  (from bloody Ipswich  mind... so about £80 in fuel.....    )

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2013, 07:27:18 »

If they are good tenants make them feel special and give  'em the induction you tight old sod.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2013, 08:04:46 »

I have a an expensive Bosch and the oven is pants, wouldn't buy another.

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2013, 08:38:45 »

Neff/Siemens? We have Siemens circlothrem. Built under, actually. Its the second one. The other (neff) was returned as it burned/over cooked the food at the back. Pizzas especially where not cooked evenly. I seem to remember you mentioned this before...?
The second one is better, (Siemens) but still very slightly has the same problem.

I seem to remember the tech changed the back plate/fan surround at one point. Not sure if it was worth perusing or not. :-[

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 15 October 2013, 08:43:18 »

Me mum had a bigger built in at the family home, as opposed to our smaller built under, and loved it. We discussed the problem with her.

Now she's moved to Cumbria, then moved again in the same area, she's now on her third Neff built in and says she hasn't noticed the problem on any of hers. But then, she doesn't notice a lot of things, tbh. :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 October 2013, 08:49:17 »

Belling?

For the house we were going to get, we took a look into this. No need now as the new place we are getting has it all built in.

Worth checking the width, some makes/models only made a certain size, 50/55/60

Given the choice think a belling from John Lewis was about the best choice, not a cheapo crapo brand, not top notch either. Sure MotherT had one of these for years, solid machine  :y

http://www.johnlewis.com/belling-bi90fp-electric-double-oven-stainless-steel/p231368837

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2013, 08:52:28 »

If they are good tenants make them feel special and give  'em the induction you tight old sod.
Oi, less of the old. ;)

Induction start at £650 for a belling, and go up to 1k for an aeg in the free standing range. We don't have that sort of cash currently. :(

Neff Siemens don't make free standing btw. Only built in/under.

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2013, 09:01:59 »

Belling?

For the house we were going to get, we took a look into this. No need now as the new place we are getting has it all built in.

Worth checking the width, some makes/models only made a certain size, 50/55/60

Given the choice think a belling from John Lewis was about the best choice, not a cheapo crapo brand, not top notch either. Sure MotherT had one of these for years, solid machine  :y

http://www.johnlewis.com/belling-bi90fp-electric-double-oven-stainless-steel/p231368837

Now of that was a built in cooker with hob we'd be laughing. :)

Sadly its a built in oven :(

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2013, 09:02:44 »

Which reminds me, what's the difference between a double oven, and an oven and grill? :-\

(Pink job see ;) )

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2013, 09:07:27 »

Neff/Siemens? We have Siemens circlothrem. Built under, actually. Its the second one. The other (neff) was returned as it burned/over cooked the food at the back. Pizzas especially where not cooked evenly. I seem to remember you mentioned this before...?
The second one is better, (Siemens) but still very slightly has the same problem.

I seem to remember the tech changed the back plate/fan surround at one point. Not sure if it was worth perusing or not. :-[

Yes, uneven cooking is the issue and this seems to be a common issue with them when I searched on line.

So Pizzas require turning a few times (unlike the Whirlpool it replaced which just worked) and cakes are just a nightmare.

When the kitchen is redone its being replaced....possibly by a Range cooker but I have not fully decided yet.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 October 2013, 09:31:07 »

I would take a trip over to Reading Warehouses in Tadley. They normally have plenty in stock to poke and prod at.

My parents have just bought one now that the oil fired Aga is mothballed due to the price of oil. Can't remember what it is but my mum appears to have failed to destroy it in 6 months, so must be OK. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 October 2013, 11:24:38 »

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this, get one quickly, cheaply and get it delivered and wired in for them.  :y

If you faff about for too long your tenants will think you don't care and might move out.  Which will cause you a bigger headache and cost a lot more money!  ::)  ;)

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 October 2013, 11:30:49 »

Curry's have 500mm wide electric cookers starting from £134.99 inc Chris

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 October 2013, 11:34:04 »

I'd avoid Beko like the plague.....  I've been happy over the years with Electrolux,  Hotpoint and Whirlpool,   our current double oven is a whirlpool ,   and it's jolly efficient,  apparently it's a bit different to the run of the mill fan ovens,    uses some sort of fast heating element, and more aggressive air movement,   it's bloody quick up to temperature, and does a nice even roast.....   

to be honest,  in the long run,  you might be better off putting a new piece of work surface and base unit in there,  and fitting a built under Oven and hob... 

(if you like em,  make it a double oven, singles are bloody useless...  )   thus ,  as and when one eventually fails,  you only have to replace that unit, not the whole sodding cooking facility....   

for the price of a bit of work top and a base unit,  i reckon it makes sense....

Fridges / freezers, most defiantly  :y

On the other hand, I've had a Beko oven and grill fitted in my house for the last 8 years without as much as a element go pop  :)
Swings and roundabouts as the saying goes  :)

chrisgixer

« Reply #24 on: 15 October 2013, 14:17:23 »

Thankyou, yes it needs to be 600 wide :)

AndyRoid

• Hants
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 October 2013, 14:41:02 »

Thankyou, yes it needs to be 600 wide :)

600 seems to be the tipping point where price is concerned  :(

Just found >this< at £249.99 if that's any good.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2013, 14:45:15 by AndyRoid »

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 October 2013, 17:21:37 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 October 2013, 18:27:22 »

Its something that Mrs TB and I have pondered, as her Creda 3 x halogen, 1 x ceramic double oven is older than the bloody dyson, but she cannot find anything she likes (must be leccy, and must have controllable hobs, and must not be built in), so on the rare occasions it goes pete tong, it gets repaired. The only major failure was the grill element (and over £100 for a new one :o), but Willie Welder sorted that one out. Beyond that, its just bulbs and backlights.

I don't envy your task, Gixer, but at least you dont have to live with it :y
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #28 on: 15 October 2013, 18:30:40 »

Yes, uneven cooking is the issue and this seems to be a common issue with them when I searched on line.

So Pizzas require turning a few times (unlike the Whirlpool it replaced which just worked) and cakes are just a nightmare.

When the kitchen is redone its being replaced....possibly by a Range cooker but I have not fully decided yet.

Probably the same on all fan ovens.....mine is an old Hotpoint that really needs replacing as one of the solid 'rings' doesnt work anymore.....but the oven always cooks faster nearer the door.....but because im use to it....i just turn the food round half way through the cooking.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2013, 18:33:23 by Taxi Driver »

MR MISTER

« Reply #29 on: 15 October 2013, 18:31:21 »

Mine too, Dave  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 October 2013, 18:38:27 »

Probably the same on all fan ovens.....mine is an old Hotpoint that really needs replacing as one of the solid 'rings' doesnt work anymore.....but the oven always cooks faster nearer the door.....but because im use to it....i just turn the food round half way through the cooking.
No idea if anyone turns stuff round in our oven, but can confirm it makes a perfectly adequate bit of cake....
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #31 on: 15 October 2013, 19:01:47 »

Why the fear of built in ovens TB :-\ only two screws and gravity hold them in ::)

We binned our eight year old Smeg range when the single and rather large oven finally died. It was never reliable, and sending it off for repair was a non starter because A it was italian, and B would have rendered us cookerless ::)

We replaced it with a pair of mid range Bosch single combination ovens, and a five burner hob as we liked having a decent sized hob, and also the two single oven approach means you get a decent sized grill/oven, as the trouble with the conventional split units is that to get a decent sized oven you end up with a pokey grill, and vice versa.

Has the added advantage that should one oven go pop, we still have tother and the hob in the meantime :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 October 2013, 19:06:00 »

Why the fear of built in ovens TB :-\ only two screws and gravity hold them in ::)
No idea why, but reliability seems to be an issue. And its a pain to work on.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 15 October 2013, 19:11:00 »

No idea why, but reliability seems to be an issue. And its a pain to work on.

Literally two screw and it slides out :y technically three more screws to liberate the wiring, but it were that easy, even I managed it ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 October 2013, 19:11:54 »

Easier to just slide unit out with no shitty screws.....
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 15 October 2013, 19:15:47 »

Not sold tbh ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #36 on: 15 October 2013, 19:22:04 »

Back to the original question :-[

One of theses, two year warranty as well :y

http://www.euronics.co.uk/cooking/cookers/zanussi-058zcv665mx-zanussi-cooker/1911

:-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #37 on: 15 October 2013, 19:34:33 »

With separate units, hob on a work top, oven built under if one goes pop the other still works, independently, on site if it needs sending off somewhere.

However, if you have a free standing already, you'll need to replace the work top to change from one to the other.

Built under, are limited to size of the oven spaces due to the height of the work top down the level of the plinth. So you will get a bigger space to fit ovens in with a free standing.

Built in are different again, as they are at built in to a floor to a ceiling type unit, so you get spce to have two big ovens in a built in. :)

Thing is your stuck with the design of the kitchen from the outset. So major works is required to change styles.

Re our current predicament, best price we have is £450 for a belling fse60dpss, at Kevs suggested place in Tadley.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2013, 19:39:45 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

« Reply #38 on: 15 October 2013, 19:36:48 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 October 2013, 19:41:50 »

This one

http://www.belling.co.uk/products/cooking/freestanding-cookers/fse60dop/444449572/

Price includes delivery and disposal.

That was one of the same ones we were looking at, had one of them in Bentals in Kingston. Looks decent enough, felt fairly well screwed together   :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 October 2013, 20:03:27 »

http://www.euronics.co.uk/cooking/cookers/zanussi-058zcv665mx-zanussi-cooker/1911

I can't recommend a Zanussi, where I repaired a friends where the oven's element needed replacing after just outside the warranty and other they started to have other issues with it due to the poor design of various parts.  :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 October 2013, 21:00:35 »

This one

http://www.belling.co.uk/products/cooking/freestanding-cookers/fse60dop/444449572/

Price includes delivery and disposal.

You're a very nice landlord Chris!!   :o  ;)  ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #42 on: 15 October 2013, 21:02:14 »

Anything cheaper has been shite tbh. :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 October 2013, 21:13:00 »

Joking apart though, good tenants are well worth looking after!  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #44 on: 15 October 2013, 21:26:03 »

I can't recommend a Zanussi, where I repaired a friends where the oven's element needed replacing after just outside the warranty and other they started to have other issues with it due to the poor design of various parts.  :(
That one looked smart enough, ticked boxes and was the same price as others with shorter warranties :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #45 on: 15 October 2013, 23:28:42 »

Joking apart though, good tenants are well worth looking after!  :y

Trying. Having decided on which one, we now have delivery dates to consider. 8-14 days lead time in some cases. That's not good news for the tenants. :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 15 October 2013, 23:35:17 »

...... 8-14 days lead time in some cases. That's not good news for the tenants. :(

Invite them to yours for the interim .......  ::) ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #47 on: 15 October 2013, 23:46:52 »

...... 8-14 days lead time in some cases. That's not good news for the tenants. :(

Invite them to yours for the interim .......  ::) ::)

Other way round, they cook stuff for us. My cake supply is in jeopardy. :o

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 16 October 2013, 00:38:19 »

AO.com advertise same day delivery.........   if ordered before 12 noon

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 16 October 2013, 16:44:07 »

Chris, I rented out several properties for many years, and fitted all the kitchens and bathrooms myself, I used to buy my stuff from various builder's merchants at trade prices - you can usually register as trade or blag it - who often had a full set, hob, oven and hood, on special offers at very reasonable prices. I never fitted top quality as tenants rarely treated stuff well, and buying this way, allowed me to fit new every 3 or 4 years at low cost.

HTH :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.