Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest  (Read 113592 times)

05omegav6

Re: Ok, I can officially put this 0-60 'dangle berries' to rest
« Reply #645 on: 01 December 2015, 18:47:21 »

The chap who carried out my MoT used to drive a 2.0t Scirroco with dsg... he mentioned in passing that he couldn't quite keep up with the white one, and was genuinely impressed by how quick it was compared to his wwd grotbox ;D

Probably doesn't help that the VW petrol turbo lump only produces about 2/3 the torque of the 3.2 and sends it through the wrong end, making it almost impossible to pull cleanly off a roundabout with any vigour...
« Last Edit: 01 December 2015, 18:56:29 by Harris K Telemacher »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: 01 December 2015, 20:02:31 »

Thank God you posted on this DBG, I was worried for a minute then that this thread might be confined to page 2!  ::)

Yeah, that'd be a real shame considering how well Webby has been doing "putting it to bed". ::)

;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: 03 December 2015, 21:20:58 »

:) I think it re-learns every drive, which makes me wonder if it's worth giving the box a 'squirt' soon after startup, then to relax back into a more sedate style. This would thereby give a 'nicer' drive for the remainder of the trip. Can definitely confirm that after a gentle cruise, when you see a gap in traffic, when you want to move quick for any reason, the box is very glacial to respond.  :)

I wonder if the sport mode overrides this, however? ie: drive like the proverbial vicar on sunday, the box learns your style - then hit S, then floor it - will the box be a 'sluggish' version of Sport mode, or change up at the optimum times, as it's designed? I'd suggest the latter, and 'S' mode is 'S' mode, no changes, but would be interesting to know for sure.

Well I've found some interesting things on this dbg.

I have been starting the car and leaving it to idle up to temperature and then racing it. In normal mode it now feels quite close to sports mode. However there's no getting away from the fact that being in sport mode is very fast in comparison.

I would say based on my testing that stick it in sport mode and forget how you've driven it before, the throttle response and kick downs will be just as good. Tho I may be wrong.

RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #648 on: 03 December 2015, 21:28:42 »

It's a well-known fact, Webby, that every two ton sports car behaves differently, and you have to try various methods to get the best from them.  ;D ;D ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: 04 December 2015, 11:27:41 »

Good stuff! As I'm apparently doing 11mpg of late, driving like a nun, I'm leaving performance tests for the moment  :D :D

Though the gauges are notoriously approximate, what's you're running temp, Webby, just out of interest?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: 04 December 2015, 14:05:57 »

Good stuff! As I'm apparently doing 11mpg of late

I can only wish for an mpg that good when driving kitty around town ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: 04 December 2015, 14:16:01 »

Really??? Ouch! Or should I say meow?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: 04 December 2015, 14:20:37 »

22 on a long run is reeeaaallly good :-[

More like 18 though ::)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: 04 December 2015, 17:53:35 »

Good stuff! As I'm apparently doing 11mpg of late, driving like a nun, I'm leaving performance tests for the moment  :D :D

Though the gauges are notoriously approximate, what's you're running temp, Webby, just out of interest?

As you say mate they're approximate (certainly in terms of actual coolant temp.) but it stays at 85 on the motorway and then in town/stop-start driving it goes to 90. and sometimes just below 95, fans kick in, it goes back down to 85  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: 11 December 2015, 18:21:37 »

I'm not bumping this thread just to keep it on your minds but I have a genuine question.

We've discussed driving techniques and I was thinking about something the Vauxhall director (and TB mentioned also) and that's how a professional driver would be able to get the time down. poppy cock I thought, its an auto. obviously flooring it is easy, but when you do the stall approach theres potential for wheel spin, theres judging the throttle and we know from my research that the driver will do all the things possible to get the time down.

so question to you all. do you think a ''amatuer'' driver used to his car could equal or even do better in the omega than a pro could who's only driven it a handful of times. or is it a case that the pros could eak out something from an auto that us mere mortals couldn't. jyst interested in your thoughts  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

STEMO

« Reply #655 on: 11 December 2015, 18:23:17 »

You really wouldn't be interested in my thoughts, Webby. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #656 on: 11 December 2015, 21:17:28 »

Oh but he so would.. That's why he asked ::)

Still irrelevant though, as you still can't duplicate the exact climate conditions of the day/time of the original test... :-*

STEMO

« Reply #657 on: 11 December 2015, 21:34:40 »

Oh but he so would.. That's why he asked ::)

Still irrelevant though, as you still can't duplicate the exact climate conditions of the day/time of the original test... :-*
And by the time they've fiddled the figures........ ;D

What a killer, Webby. You'll never duplicate the numbers, cause they never actually happened.  :(

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: 12 December 2015, 20:15:17 »

ok, well i still plan to do the test in the next summer.

you know, perhaps the climate/humidity may make a difference.

however i think the meat and potatoes of the test is replicating the set up of the car (e.g. tyres, well maintained etc), replicating the test weight of the car, getting it timed correctly with an accelerometer, doing it on a dry and level track with zero wind and finally perfecting my driving skills to get the most out of the car.

i'm really looking forward to the results. should be a fun day out too.

on an aside i have fitted 4 budget tyres prior to ordering some PS3's next year. interestingly they have a rolling resistance rating of 'C' and a wet grip rating of 'C' also. they are really noisy though  ;D

the interesting part is that they are very easy to spin (which makes sense due to the lack of RR). However a customer ordered some PS3s for his Puma so i took the chance to look at the label...they have a rating of 'G'. So i presume that even though the resistance is more it actually aids traction....especially knowing how easy these 'C' rating ones are to spin  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: 12 December 2015, 20:18:34 »

Webby - those new tyre ratings mean absolutely the square root of eff all. Simply ignore them.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.