Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MV6 vented rear discs  (Read 593 times)

guncharmer

• York
    • View Profile
MV6 vented rear discs
« on: 26 January 2010, 16:46:26 »

Hello,i ordered rear discs for my 2001 MV6 2.6 auto today after having a good look at why my brakes were squealing from the rear(highlighted when turning corners without braking).Basically the newish pads are struggling to bed in to a less than flat disc surface with lips to either side of the contact area and the main contact surface area leaving a lot to be desired. i could have left everything to finally bed in over time but as i have just got the car i want it to be 100%.
I needed them tommorrow so rang europarts first,(didnt list them), VX leeds next,(£92+vat retail, £66.60+vat trade) and my local motorfactors in york last(had to order in,trade £135.00+vat).
Ordered the VX discs at £66.60+vat,cash on delivery tommorrow (was at a friends garage(AUTO ENGINEER) and can use the lift tommorrow
I was hoping they were going to be about £45 inc..
My engineer mate says i am well behind the times and thought £66.60+vat a good price for vented rears.

Incidentally i was quoted £12,£6 and £64.50 by VX Leeds(Evans Halshaw) for large gasket,small gasket and filter,respectiveley, for the autobox. Declined the filter  as i have read on here somewhere they can be washed out.Cars done 71k and the gearbox works perfectly so changing it didnt seem so much a priority at that price.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: MV6 vented rear discs
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2010, 16:48:58 »

JPat is a good souce for autobox filters and gasket, around £50 all in!

I would get the filter from him, rather than wash out the current one with petrol or similar.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2010, 16:59:59 »

Chap in the back of Straight Six News does filter plus gaskets for IRO 35 quid delivered IIRC.

Bought some vented rear disks today as it happens. Ruddy expensive, and the rears are hardly prone to overheating.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2010, 17:45:49 »

I got some for just about £50 on Ebay

guncharmer

• York
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2010, 19:20:15 »

Was just at halfords in york. £54.98 inc vat for vented rear discs(delphi) or £41.23 inc vat with a taxi drivers trade discount!(can be sorted) the vented are 20mm thick as opposed to 12mm thickness for the solid.they list vented discs for all facelift models with no specific mention of MV6,am i right in thinking that MV6 models have standard brakes,only suspension and trim differences?

« Last Edit: 26 January 2010, 19:20:47 by guncharmer »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2010, 19:28:52 »

...... am i right in thinking that MV6 models have standard brakes,only suspension and trim differences?

Yes!

Vented rears aren't specifically for facelifts, from about 2001 IIRC
Be careful of 'cheap' pattern parts. They're often cheap cos they're cheaply made.  :-?

Been there .... done that at the front of my Senator years ago. Pattern discs were cr4p.  >:(

Ventilated discs/drums from '01
Omega Part Number Retail Price Normal Trade Trade Club
           93182287      £92.00           £85.30             £66.60

So if you have access to a Trade Club card you can get the real deal for £66.60 +vat  :y  :y
« Last Edit: 26 January 2010, 19:31:36 by Andy_B »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2010, 19:49:22 »

...... am i right in thinking that MV6 models have standard brakes,only suspension and trim differences?

Yes!

Vented rears aren't specifically for facelifts, from about 2001 IIRC
Be careful of 'cheap' pattern parts. They're often cheap cos they're cheaply made.  :-?

Yup, Omegas are not exactly light, and even 4 pots can cruise along at high speeds with ease, you need decent brakes.

GM on trade do offer best combination - price/performance
« Last Edit: 26 January 2010, 19:50:52 by tunnie »

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2010, 20:57:27 »

agree re brakes.

Its not a problem to wash the filter out. Its not a fine mesh anyway, its there to catch large particals like broken thrust washer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.