Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another tyre thread  (Read 8684 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another tyre thread
« Reply #30 on: 04 January 2013, 17:43:17 »

Taken to buying second hand off forum recently for tyres, £100 notes for 4x CDX alloys with 6mm Kumo 31's fitted. Done about 3k on them, wearing very well.

Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds with 6mm tread for a bit more cash, mounted on CD alloys.

I know its no good now, but worth keeping an eye out for breakers in future.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 January 2013, 17:55:02 »

Taken to buying second hand off forum recently for tyres, £100 notes for 4x CDX alloys with 6mm Kumo 31's fitted. Done about 3k on them, wearing very well.

Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds with 6mm tread for a bit more cash, mounted on CD alloys.

Thought quite seriously about that approach.. and decided against it ... reasons actually quite simple ..

I spend a fair amount of mileage towing 1600 Kgs of van, often for 4-5 hours at a time, which is a fair amount of stress on the rear tyres. On other occasions I sit at around 85 for trips of 11 hours with just a few 30 minute stops ... again .. high tyre stress situations. Ok .. rest of the time is pootling about at 50-70 for up to an hour or so.... but it all adds up to around 12-14000 a year.

Part worns, of any make/type/description/provenance are unknowns .. have they been kerbed ?? potholed ?? overinflated/underinflated ?? I just don't know ... and all such things can lead to internal failures .. which could bite me badly if it all went pete tong.

With new, I know the history, what I've done to the tyres and where they've been (rightly or wrongly) and so have a degree of knowlege on which I can assess any risk.

At the end of the day, we rely on four very small patches of rubber to keep us on the road, for the sake of saving a few pounds, I've decided the risk is just not worth it ... to me .. but it might be to someone else... as you have decided .. :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 January 2013, 18:18:59 »

Found a local guy who's doing 4 @ £120 each total .. VAT/valve/balance and the poxy disposal fee all in .. :) So once this steering play is sorted they'll go on .. :)

That sounds like a decent enough deal  :y

Let me know how you get on with them  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 January 2013, 18:59:57 »

Thought quite seriously about that approach.. and decided against it ... reasons actually quite simple ..

I spend a fair amount of mileage towing 1600 Kgs of van, often for 4-5 hours at a time, which is a fair amount of stress on the rear tyres. On other occasions I sit at around 85 for trips of 11 hours with just a few 30 minute stops ... again .. high tyre stress situations. Ok .. rest of the time is pootling about at 50-70 for up to an hour or so.... but it all adds up to around 12-14000 a year.

Part worns, of any make/type/description/provenance are unknowns .. have they been kerbed ?? potholed ?? overinflated/underinflated ?? I just don't know ... and all such things can lead to internal failures .. which could bite me badly if it all went pete tong.

With new, I know the history, what I've done to the tyres and where they've been (rightly or wrongly) and so have a degree of knowlege on which I can assess any risk.

At the end of the day, we rely on four very small patches of rubber to keep us on the road, for the sake of saving a few pounds, I've decided the risk is just not worth it ... to me .. but it might be to someone else... as you have decided .. :)

Totally agree with everything. Its odd, I won't buy part worns from a shop. Feels different from OOF, ones I've got have known history.

My tyres get very little stress, 2.2 does not have the power to demand much of them. 90% of time they are on the motorway at 80mph cruise, given stress yours go though can see why you want new.

I'd buy new as well if I had a family, but as its me in my little worthless shed plodding about. £25 a corner and effective 55mpg, its a damn cheap run about!

feeutfo

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #35 on: 04 January 2013, 19:22:08 »

Found a local guy who's doing 4 @ £120 each total .. VAT/valve/balance and the poxy disposal fee all in .. :) So once this steering play is sorted they'll go on .. :)

Have you tired Bathwick Tyres, Wescott Place, Mr E ? The Manager there, seems to even undercut other Bathwick outlets.....

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 January 2013, 19:27:33 »

Have you tired Bathwick Tyres, Wescott Place, Mr E ? The Manager there, seems to even undercut other Bathwick outlets.....

Disappointingly Bathwick don't stock these, and did not seem interested in getting any in for me ... just tried to persuade me to go for the goodyear efficient things ....

8 places asked for quotes on the F1's, so got 7 quotes .. lowest price is the £120 - (3 places) highest price was £147 and that did not include balance and disposal which would be "extra" :(

So opted for the nearest @ £120 .. which also happens to be in Wooty B .. saves the drive to Swidnod .. :)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #37 on: 04 January 2013, 19:36:48 »

Disappointingly Bathwick don't stock these, and did not seem interested in getting any in for me ... just tried to persuade me to go for the goodyear efficient things ....

8 places asked for quotes on the F1's, so got 7 quotes .. lowest price is the £120 - (3 places) highest price was £147 and that did not include balance and disposal which would be "extra" :(

So opted for the nearest @ £120 .. which also happens to be in Wooty B .. saves the drive to Swidnod .. :)

Well. i guess, unless they stock them and buying 100's/1000's of them you would have paid top dollar for them, from them.

I remember, when i wanted Nankang NS2's for my Omega, my usual tyre place couldnt even buy them in for the price i was quoted fitted by Bathwich, W/P  :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #38 on: 04 January 2013, 19:39:10 »

Mr Entwood, may be not necessary to remind but some tyre shops dont fit the tyre properly and the tyre requires more than 40-50 grs for balance..  and some scratch the wheels paint..

so will require turning around the wheel again.. please check them while fitting.. and you can also check their dates and wheel conditions.. :y
« Last Edit: 04 January 2013, 19:41:09 by cem »

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 January 2013, 20:15:33 »

if I remember correctly, Opti bought Goodyear Eagle F1s (asym 2) around 90 £ size 235 45 17..

ps: efficient grips dont do well in tests..

.....and they are brilliant. Check out the independent customer reviews, Mr Entwood.
I put F1's on a Saab 9-5.  A brilliant tyre. Do not yet know about the life span.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 January 2013, 09:59:20 »

I am against any of this "energy saving" tyre wank. Less rolling resistance means less grip. Simples.

I am actively looking for tyres, and am looking at tyres with a poor fuel efficiency rating...
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #41 on: 05 January 2013, 10:05:11 »

I am against any of this "energy saving" tyre wank. Less rolling resistance means less grip. Simples.

I am actively looking for tyres, and am looking at tyres with a poor fuel efficiency rating...

agreed..

less rolling resistance tyres are plastic and cheap to build..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 January 2013, 10:15:03 »

agreed..

less rolling resistance tyres are plastic and cheap to build..
I include Continental Sport Contact 5 in that category....   ;)
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #43 on: 05 January 2013, 11:24:43 »

My preferred tyre only manages an F in the efficiency rating... only goes down to G 8)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 January 2013, 13:36:00 »

My preferred tyre only manages an F in the efficiency rating... only goes down to G 8)
I think my TT's are an E.  Very happy with every single aspect of them, bar wear rate - looks like I get 11k from rears, and about 20k from fronts, so not that bad.

I'll be honest, I thought I was only getting 8 or 9k, but looking at the receipts....    ....had I had known, I probably would have gone for TT's on the Elite, rather than SC5, although I would expect the lower profile on the Elite to increase wear??

Shame TT's are now replaced  :'(

I am tempted to try those Runways, based purely on your experience, but I do fear they will lack the grip I wish...  ...and in 17" sizes, the TTs weren't that much more. Obviously in 18", premium tyres are way more, £150+
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.