Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet another tyre thread  (Read 8680 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Yet another tyre thread
« Reply #45 on: 05 January 2013, 14:51:36 »

Why do these tyre threads get so complicated?? ::) ::) ::)

I stated my preference, but after reading all the posts I am just confused!  My simple mind says "I will just stick to my likes"; everything else seems to be subjective and only a matter of personal preference, end of! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05 January 2013, 14:57:51 »

I stated my preference, but after reading all the posts I am just confused!  My simple mind says "I will just stick to my likes"; everything else seems to be subjective and only a matter of personal preference, end of! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
I think that is the only solution...  ...although if you've never experienced a well suited tyre, on a well set up Omega, when "on it", you probably don't realise what you are missing...    ...I'm sure many members here would be more than happy with TBE, even if I'm not.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #47 on: 05 January 2013, 15:44:59 »

This is the problem, comparison.

TB has a well handling car... Well mostly.

By handling, I mean it feels connected to the road. NON OF THIS INVOLVES CORNERS. Planted. Stable. Directional. It goes straight. When it hits a bump, the suspension and tyres make the car ride over it correctly, rather than divert around it. The bump is handled by the car in an up and down fashion. This is how a car should behave IMO.

However, the average handling omega I see on my drive is far from that. Including mine to an extent. Yes the ones I see have faults, thats why they come to me. But the average omega does NOT handle like TB's does.
 Generally, there's a lot of sideways movement. Boat like. Barge. Water baloons for tyres. Jelly like. Lots of correction at the steering wheel. Discoinserting feel. Feels like its got no grip, even though a car needs almost no grip rolling along on a neutral throttle in a straight line at 40mph, for instance, yet the car feels un safe. Unstable. Wandering. Like something broken.

This is tyres. It just is.( there are other cinditions that contribute, bushes, set up, etc, but the single most over riding factor is tyres)

Hence my attempt to discuss the issue in the tyre construction thread, in an attempt to find out why the car has been ruined by simply fitting the wrong tyre. I suppose the reason why doesn't matter, if you have tyres that your happy with. But that is NOT to say that a vast improvement can't be made, just because your happy.

All things are relative. There's the "I just took off these tyres, and put these other ones on ... and the car is transformed" A classic trap. As said so many times, the old tyres wear, handling tails off, the car becomes a hand full. New tyres are better, obviously. BUT are they better than the old ones when they where new. It's hard to tell.

Bah, I'm waffling. Suffice to say. Tyres are the single most important thing as far as handling goes. We need to nail this down IMO.

feeutfo

« Reply #48 on: 05 January 2013, 15:54:30 »

Plus, if I'd known TT lasted as well as TB says, I'd have fitted them without question. Even if that meant going back to 17's to replicate that exactly, without the risk of wheel  size somehow affecting things

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05 January 2013, 16:27:56 »

You're a girl, Lizzie. Nobody expects you to understand the technical stuff. :-* :-* :-*

Leave the complicated stuff to the men. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 05 January 2013, 18:50:39 »

Plus, if I'd known TT lasted as well as TB says, I'd have fitted them without question. Even if that meant going back to 17's to replicate that exactly, without the risk of wheel  size somehow affecting things
I was shocked, TBH. I honestly thought I was getting 8-9k. Didn't realise how it clocks up the miles now Mrs TB uses it.

I'm also impressed with how these have hung on (rears). I knew they were getting low, but was caught out how low, as they gripped, even in wet. It was only the running water across the A43 in the pre Xmas rain that the rear got titchy. Measured them today, 1mm in centre, no tread pattern at edges  ::).

Whilst I don't wear a baseball cap, and see how long a wheelspin I can muster, it does frequently get launch started, and is often in the local BP, neither of which are conducive to tyre longevity.

Reading that others are only getting similar mileage from theirs.....   .....well, I think that solves the dilema I was having. That said, I'd like a report from someone I knows can drive hard, knows the cars dynamics, and has Runway Enduros.....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 05 January 2013, 18:51:32 »

You're a girl, Lizzie. Nobody expects you to understand the technical stuff. :-* :-* :-*

LOL, I think there is a Kent girl driving up to the flatlands with a 12 bore shotgun ;D
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #52 on: 05 January 2013, 19:31:02 »

LOL, I think there is a Kent girl driving up to the flatlands with a 12 bore shotgun ;D

Yep, I'm on the way! :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #53 on: 06 January 2013, 14:46:38 »

I was shocked, TBH. I honestly thought I was getting 8-9k. Didn't realise how it clocks up the miles now Mrs TB uses it.

I'm also impressed with how these have hung on (rears). I knew they were getting low, but was caught out how low, as they gripped, even in wet. It was only the running water across the A43 in the pre Xmas rain that the rear got titchy. Measured them today, 1mm in centre, no tread pattern at edges  ::).

Whilst I don't wear a baseball cap, and see how long a wheelspin I can muster, it does frequently get launch started, and is often in the local BP, neither of which are conducive to tyre longevity.

Reading that others are only getting similar mileage from theirs.....   .....well, I think that solves the dilema I was having. That said, I'd like a report from someone I knows can drive hard, knows the cars dynamics, and has Runway Enduros.....

Generally I used Acceleras on both the Elites, reasonably priced and predictable handling wet or dry, and would recommend these even when "pressing on".  Did fit a set of Enduros to the saloon and handling etc very similar to the Acceleras, no issues.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

feeutfo

« Reply #54 on: 06 January 2013, 17:43:01 »

I think we need to define "pressing on" compared to pressing on. This is politically difficult on a public forum. If you know what I mean. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #55 on: 06 January 2013, 17:46:00 »

I'll pop the 17"s onto Joshs car for tomorrow  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #56 on: 06 January 2013, 17:47:50 »

Interesting to see how they go Al. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 06 January 2013, 17:49:26 »

Oh dear, doesn't bode well for Runways :(
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 06 January 2013, 17:52:59 »

Currently fitted to the cab, so tax deductable ;)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06 January 2013, 23:08:50 »

Try:

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk

with your post code. Price vary by region but its about 115 per tyre for me (F1 asymmetric 2), plus they come to your house/place of work.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.