Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: If a tyre has run flat....  (Read 4547 times)

chrisgixer

Re: If a tyre has run flat....
« Reply #90 on: 22 March 2014, 10:32:46 »

So the strangeness now being experienced could actually be a justification to fit in pairs :-\

I would think so.

But I will be in a position to confirm absolutely, when the second rear is fitted. :)
I can't wait. Start another thread  ;D

WILL YOU JUST OPPS OFF ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 22 March 2014, 17:36:51 »

There was also discussion prior to this thread as to the value of tpms.

Given i had;

A total of about 60 seconds, from the warning of noise of a foreign body stuck in the tyre scraping round the wheel arch liner, to standstill. (Sadly I didn't know what the noise was at first)

About 30 seconds of which was pulling the car up in a safe place.

It's clear if I had had a tpms warning within the first 30 seconds I would of been able to stop quicker, before the tyre was running on the rims, and save myself a large bill. The tyre could of been repaired otherwise.

To sum up.
Effectively, one foreign body/puncture has cost £400 ish (<insert the value of YOUR tyres here) in two new rear tyres. Tpms would of prevented the tyre BEING DESTROYED, as I could have stopped earlier before the tyre ran totally flat.

(Ok they where down to the last third of wear but this could happen with a new tyres just as easy)

Always replace tyres in axel pairs. ;)

NOT sure I agree on the TPMS argument ... the MAXIMUM time the TPMS could have saved you was 30 seconds from your own description, you would still have had to spend 30 seconds coming to a halt, what you are assuming is that ALL the damage was done in the second 30 seconds... IMHO given the damage you described that is unlikely ....

My scenario is ... you pick up the object which rapidly causes a deflation and a TPMS warning, and the noise you heard .. it takes you 15 seconds to work out what the warning noise alert is all about , then 30 seconds to stop (same as before) .. so TPMS has actually saved you 15 seconds, but the tyre is still goosed ... as the 30 seconds stopping time (driving on a flat tyre) is what has done the damage ... :(

I could be,  (and probably am), wrong.. but as I said before TPMS is not designed for rapid deflations .. it is designed for slow, "unfelt", changes.... :(

chrisgixer

« Reply #92 on: 22 March 2014, 17:51:43 »

As the last sentence Nige, I heard the noise of the foreign body scrapping the wheel arch liner. But had no idea what it was. So carried on. Then felt the flat tyre.

The foreign body (call it a nail ffs ;D )could have been in there for... God knows how long. But that was undoubtedly the point the nail came out. If that noise had been followed by a tpms alarm, I would have known immediately what the problem was while there was still some air in the tyre.

There's no doubt in my mind, If I had had tpms, and seen the actual pressures, I'd of stopped immediately. WhichI'm as certain is a can be, would of saved the tyre in this instance.

There's nothing to say any future punctures will happen the same way of course, but in this instance... Yes, defo.

I guess its still not for everyone though. Like lpg fitting, you need to way up the cost of install v the pay back over ownership. With tpms, if your tyres are worth more than the tpms system itself, I'd say its worth it.

Add in a pikey palace on the back and the possible safety implications of tipping that over (lol) I'd say its a no brainer.

But I am assuming these tpms things give an instant warning. And I do mean instant!

05omegav6

« Reply #93 on: 22 March 2014, 18:00:52 »

Some VWs have a basic system which works through the ABS... basically you infltate the tyres to a pressure of your choosing. You the reset the system via a button on the dash. If the rolling radius of a tyre changes beyond the average of that initial setting then it pops the light on. Down side is that it doesn't tell you the actual pressures or which wheel has an issue, but it does alert you to a potential issue.

I suspect the 38,000 ish pulses per mile from the ABS ecu would give enough data to produce a simple system based to correlate the data from each wheel with the speed out put :-\

A project for Mr Wood perhaps :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 22 March 2014, 18:13:41 »

As the last sentence Nige, I heard the noise of the foreign body scrapping the wheel arch liner. But had no idea what it was. So carried on. Then felt the flat tyre.

The foreign body (call it a nail ffs ;D )could have been in there for... God knows how long. But that was undoubtedly the point the nail came out. If that noise had been followed by a tpms alarm, I would have known immediately what the problem was while there was still some air in the tyre.

..................snip .....  :)

But I am assuming these tpms things give an instant warning. And I do mean instant!

OK .. it is therefore possible that the nail was in there some time, and the tyre had gradually deflated somewhat prior to the nail "leaving" and the rapid deflation ... (when did you last check the tyre pressures of that wheel ??) ... if this is the case then I grant you, TPMS may well have given you warning well before the nail "left".

The TPMS systems that work on transducers/sensors in the wheels or valves will give continuous instant readouts of pressure (and temperature on some) and will light/sound the warning when the set parameters are breached ... how fast they react would depend, to some extent on what parameters are set ... a 28 psi tyre with the limit set at 26 psi will obviously give warning before a 28 psi tyre with the limit set at 18 psi ... (purely examples) .. some systems wotrk on a "percentage" of the set pressure ... you pays your money and you makes your choice .. :)

aaronjb

« Reply #95 on: 22 March 2014, 18:42:56 »

Some VWs have a basic system which works through the ABS... basically you infltate the tyres to a pressure of your choosing. You the reset the system via a button on the dash. If the rolling radius of a tyre changes beyond the average of that initial setting then it pops the light on. Down side is that it doesn't tell you the actual pressures or which wheel has an issue, but it does alert you to a potential issue.

The M3 has the same system - it's been bleeping at me for a couple of days ... just checked the front nearside and it was 14psi low  :-[ :-[ :-[ Whoops!

chrisgixer

« Reply #96 on: 22 March 2014, 18:45:22 »

Pressures checked a couple of days before. Nothing unusual found.

chrisgixer

« Reply #97 on: 22 March 2014, 18:47:40 »

Also, hopefully the "tpms warning bleep" will sound different to the "lpg has run out bleep" or things might get interesting on the way to the lpg station. ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #98 on: 22 March 2014, 18:53:47 »

Also, hopefully the "tpms warning bleep" will sound different to the "lpg has run out bleep" or things might get interesting on the way to the lpg station. ::)

Again, the M3 .. the TPMS beep is the same as the "it's cold out" beep and probably half a dozen other irritating beeps.. Which I find annoying. Anyhoo..

chrisgixer

« Reply #99 on: 22 March 2014, 19:27:40 »

Again, the M3 .. the TPMS beep is the same as the "it's cold out" beep and probably half a dozen other irritating beeps.. Which I find annoying. Anyhoo..

Wonder, have you ever tested it for speed of response?  Let some air out and see how quick it beeps...?

Stemo

« Reply #100 on: 22 March 2014, 19:29:46 »

Pressures checked a couple of days before. Nothing unusual found.
Tyre pressure checked, captain, nothing to report. ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #101 on: 22 March 2014, 20:19:30 »

Wonder, have you ever tested it for speed of response?  Let some air out and see how quick it beeps...?

I haven't - though I seem to recall the manual gives a figure in %age difference to the other wheels and distance travelled.. I'll look it up. I know it goes off with as little as 2psi difference, though.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #102 on: 22 March 2014, 22:02:24 »

I suspect the 38,000 ish pulses per mile from the ABS ecu would give enough data to produce a simple system based to correlate the data from each wheel with the speed out put :-\

clever system..

chrisgixer

« Reply #103 on: 22 March 2014, 22:09:55 »

clever system..

Er, well, er.... Other bugger it. No its not, if her Polo, and a friends Passat are anything to go by. Its dim witted and over sensitive throwing the light on at any random opportunity except a low tyres pressure.

May have been unlucky, but, it doesn't tell you the current pressures, so has to calculate by distance which takes time.

05omegav6

« Reply #104 on: 22 March 2014, 22:18:55 »

The key difference between Vw and Vauxhall is that vws only chuck out 7500ish pulses per mile whereas the vauxhall is about 5 times that so that system could become alot more effective...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 17 queries.