Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: When to change shocks  (Read 16425 times)

05omegav6

Re: When to change shocks
« Reply #45 on: 08 June 2015, 21:42:01 »

Not sure if they have changed, but I used the rubbers that came with the B4s on the back of the Bullet, swapped pre-LPG days
Pics speak for themselves...
Fitting kit as supplied with shocks...

Genuine Fitting Kits, (Estate above, Saloon below)...

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 08 June 2015, 22:09:02 »

I'm happy to buy the GM kits, but may fit Bilstein shocks. I get trade price anyway from VX even if they're not on TC. What springs are recommended for the front, I guess GM again. :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 June 2015, 09:55:59 »

The 'best' setup is considered LSC (otherwise known as MV6) springs, and B4s. Sadly the LSC springs are no longer available new, so you have to hang around until you find one being broken. Depending on price, GM springs get lots of recommendation. I'm running on genuie GMs, but only because I got a set of LSC ones for £40, would I have paid the hundreds for brand new, that's another question  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 June 2015, 14:50:01 »

I'm happy to buy the GM kits, but may fit Bilstein shocks. I get trade price anyway from VX even if they're not on TC. What springs are recommended for the front, I guess GM again. :-\

I fitted B4's and polybushed the front wishbone bushes on my estate a few weeks ago Shack
Left the old springs on with no problem whatsoever
Car feels totally different to drive but still nice and supple. Changes direction very nicely and just feels more planted on the road.
Old shocks (GM) was the originals and done 140K with no visible leaks at the front. Rear was totally shagged  :-X

HTH  :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 09 June 2015, 22:11:08 »

I fitted B4's and polybushed the front wishbone bushes on my estate a few weeks ago Shack
Left the old springs on with no problem whatsoever
Car feels totally different to drive but still nice and supple. Changes direction very nicely and just feels more planted on the road.
Old shocks (GM) was the originals and done 140K with no visible leaks at the front. Rear was totally shagged  :-X

HTH  :)

Thanks for that. I'll see what the prices are before prising open my normally welded close wallet. ::)

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 09 June 2015, 23:15:16 »

Thanks for that. I'll see what the prices are before prising open my normally welded close wallet. ::)

Fitted Kilen TD-specific front coils to several ... and (from memory) so did Turk to his TD.

Ride height/quality and handling haven't been compromised either :y

Kilen part number is: 31042 ... and around 80 quid for the pair 8)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10 June 2015, 19:05:14 »

Fitted Kilen TD-specific front coils to several ... and (from memory) so did Turk to his TD.

Ride height/quality and handling haven't been compromised either :y

Kilen part number is: 31042 ... and around 80 quid for the pair 8)

Thanks Byron. :y :y :y

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10 June 2015, 19:11:50 »

The 'best' setup is considered LSC (otherwise known as MV6) springs, and B4s. Sadly the LSC springs are no longer available new, so you have to hang around until you find one being broken. Depending on price, GM springs get lots of recommendation. I'm running on genuie GMs, but only because I got a set of LSC ones for £40, would I have paid the hundreds for brand new, that's another question  :)

As a consensus across a group of oof members yes. But, key thing is to remember not what's best for you, or a group of oof members, but what's best for the member asking. Knowing Shak as I do, I don't think he's a spread freak. So I suspect comfort is more important to him. Might be wrong but I don't think he'd appreciate lsc.

More to the point, lsc shocks would be wasted unless fitting lsc springs as well. Which are NA I believe? ....as you say.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 10 June 2015, 19:27:11 »

In fact, is lsc available for the TD?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10 June 2015, 20:16:35 »

I've been watching this thread with interest as I've never changed my front shocks and I've no record that they've ever been changed.  :-\

Looking around on the net for prices these Meyles seem like a good deal from AllGermanParts.  :) 

I've always had the impression that Meyle are a decent brand?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 10 June 2015, 21:25:19 »

I've been very impressed with Meyle drop links, I'd give those a go if I needed a pair. Good price too :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11 June 2015, 09:18:31 »

As a consensus across a group of oof members yes. But, key thing is to remember not what's best for you, or a group of oof members, but what's best for the member asking. Knowing Shak as I do, I don't think he's a spread freak. So I suspect comfort is more important to him. Might be wrong but I don't think he'd appreciate lsc.

More to the point, lsc shocks would be wasted unless fitting lsc springs as well. Which are NA I believe? ....as you say.

Indeed  :) I like to have the odd squirt on a B-road etc, but wouldn't consider myself a speek freak etc, and really deliberated long and hard before fitting the setup I have, as I specifically didnt want to lose the Omega 'waftability' and comfort. In no way find the ride on my Omega to be hard, or 'sporty', certainly not beyond the parameters of what any car should be capable of handling, in terms of an emergency swerve, etc. I'd recommend B4s and either standard or LSC springs to anyone, no matter now softly sprung they like their cars. In the OPs case, is it worth him trying to hunt out some LSCs? I'd say probably no, and I agree with Gixer, and the OP must tread what's best for him. Again, maybe worth just get the cheapest 'normal' shocks he can get (of which a few brand new ones have been cropping up on heebay for very reasonably money lately, so worth looking there)

Actually, on the subject of the standard or MV6 springs - are LSCs actually any stiffer, or simply 10mm lower than standard?  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 11 June 2015, 10:03:23 »

I am actually, peanut butter, marmalade, nubile young ladies, anything that spreads easily actually. ::) ::) ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11 June 2015, 11:55:04 »

:D ;D

I think this is clearly an admin that has altered that to make me look foolish, sir!

The only other option is that I made a typo, and that's completely impossible, I'd never do such a thong.  :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11 June 2015, 12:18:51 »

;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.