Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: should there be another fuel blockade  (Read 7996 times)

mowerman

• bedfordshire
    • View Profile
should there be another fuel blockade
« on: 16 January 2011, 11:38:40 »

fuel is as a record high price its time for another blockade
yes or no

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: should there be another fuel blockade
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2011, 11:52:32 »

No. This country and its industries are in enough trouble as it is, and the last thing they need is a fuel bockade that will cost multi millions in lost trade!

The Government are trying to sort out the mess made by Labour, and harsh measures must be taken to start to reverse the damage done.  Blockades will only aggravate the situation, and may well cause greater financial hardship for many individuals.

The Australians are right about the English; we are a load of moaning poms!  ::) ::)  ::) ::)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2011, 11:57:13 »

Yes there should be. The Conservative government have done nothing that they said they would do, and everytime something is mentioned it's always the mess left by Labour. It's a load of shit it's about time they admitted they lied and have done the total opposite of what they said they were going to do.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2011, 12:05:43 »

Yes there should be. The Conservative government have done nothing that they said they would do, and everytime something is mentioned it's always the mess left by Labour. It's a load of shit it's about time they admitted they lied and have done the total opposite of what they said they were going to do.

well said that man   :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2011, 12:24:24 »

I could argue that Del as much is going on to resolve many issues, but it will take time for us to see the results, just as the Coalition stated from the outset.

Anyhow, regardsless of what has been done or not, how would a national blockade help, anymore than it did before, with you and many who rely of their vehicles to earn a crust lossing out big time?  Everyone suffers, but for what gain?  Will world oil prices fall? NO!  Can the Government afford to reduce the Fuel Levy? NO!  Reduce VAT to 17.5% on fuel?  Well, maybe!  But it will only be a drop in the ocean in terms of what you and I pay for fuel, and it will soon be reversed once the protests have died! ::) ::) ::)

Oil prices is a WORLD problem and whatever we do in the UK it will make little difference!  Oil will continue to rise as exploration costs escalate as the reserves run out over the next 50 years, at most! :'( :'( :'(

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2011, 12:28:35 »

Think Lizzie has it  spot on. Need to add it will just give fire extinguisher life threatening tosspots another bite at the cherry.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2011, 12:31:51 »

Think Lizzie has it  spot on. Need to add it will just give fire extinguisher life threatening tosspots another bite at the cherry.

You are right there Cliffo! :y

Bring on Rent-a-Mob eh? ::) ::) :P

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 January 2011, 12:42:18 »

Fuel would be 47p per litre if the government took nothing, and that 47p includes what the garage takes for it's own profit. I need my vehicles to drive around in, I need my vehicles to be able to earn a living and I need my vehicles to be able to do business deals that I need to do. I think it needs a fuel blockade.

The coalition is awful I couldn't have though about a worse possible outcome for this country. The Conservatives in my opinion are terrible, look at what happened before. VAT going up is a disgrace, they think that'll make people spend more, wrong think about it, put the VAT down people will buy more, because stuff is more affordable, thus creating less debt for the country, people will stop buying things as the price is going up simply because they can't afford it.

Now if anyone can justify to me what justifies an 81 pence tax on fuel then I'm all ears. There are two taxes on fuel too, why? Because it's simply another money making scheme. I'm sorry but they talk utter bullshit with regard to everything they said they were going to do, and why? Well it's still Labours fault in the end, I think it's about time at least one person in this shit hole we call our country held their hands up and admitted, yes we've caused this, but no they're doing what a lot of other British people do and passing the blame to someone else!
« Last Edit: 16 January 2011, 12:43:16 by LSG_1 »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #8 on: 16 January 2011, 13:24:36 »

Fuel would be 47p per litre if the government took nothing, and that 47p includes what the garage takes for it's own profit. I need my vehicles to drive around in, I need my vehicles to be able to earn a living and I need my vehicles to be able to do business deals that I need to do. I think it needs a fuel blockade.

The coalition is awful I couldn't have though about a worse possible outcome for this country. The Conservatives in my opinion are terrible, look at what happened before. VAT going up is a disgrace, they think that'll make people spend more, wrong think about it, put the VAT down people will buy more, because stuff is more affordable, thus creating less debt for the country, people will stop buying things as the price is going up simply because they can't afford it.

Now if anyone can justify to me what justifies an 81 pence tax on fuel then I'm all ears. There are two taxes on fuel too, why? Because it's simply another money making scheme. I'm sorry but they talk utter bullshit with regard to everything they said they were going to do, and why? Well it's still Labours fault in the end, I think it's about time at least one person in this shit hole we call our country held their hands up and admitted, yes we've caused this, but no they're doing what a lot of other British people do and passing the blame to someone else!

For the Government to pay for the running of the country; NHS, Defence, Education, Social Services, Policing, etc.  No income = No services.  The Government has no money of its own, it is our money which they spread out to give us what the consensus of the public want, so any "money making" scheme is for our benefit overall. 

Sorry Del but if the UK government didn't tax fuel at the rate they do then to balance the books (which the previous Labour Government did not do!) tax and VAT would be gathered from other sources, like placing VAT on food, childrens clothes, and perhaps increasing the tax on electronic products for instance.  Apart from that they could cut even more than they intend to already from public expenditure, like abolishing the NHS and making it into the American system, or charging parents for the education of their children, and of course making our military into no more than a basic defence force!  Do you fancy any of that?

The fact is discussing fuel prices, and potential blockade action, on a car forum, is like discussing tobacco taxes on a smokers forum, or alcohol tax on a pub forum, no one likes paying for their enjoyments or advantages!

The country needs money to run at the standards we all (well most) want.  Apart from the air we breath, nothing is actually free, and oil is just going to get a lot more expensive one way or another, and the costs of running UK plc are also going to rise.  The rest of the world is under the same pressures, and it will get worse all the time the labour forces of the developing countries, and our own, want (rightly) a greater reward for their efforts, as they have throughout history, hence the word inflation!! ::) ::) ::)

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 16 January 2011, 13:37:38 »

Agree totally, Labour made mistakes of course but I dread to think what further mess we would be in under these eejits!

No, no blockade. Last I heard the tanker drivers are due to o on strike soon anyway.

Need to do something though.

waspy

« Reply #10 on: 16 January 2011, 13:40:22 »

Be it Conservative, Labour or whom ever. Not one of them will reduce the taxation on fuel.
I (as most others) hate paying high fuel prices, but i do something about it (unlike most others), i did 12 miles in my car last week, i could drive to work, but i decide to walk & cycle.
I know there's many people that have no choice, but drive.
If they want us to get on public transport, then they HAVE to provide a better service at a more affordable price. Unfortunatley as with ALL governments they have their heads up their arses & they have no idea of the real world.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 January 2011, 13:45:27 »

Fuel has got nothing to do with the NHS, schools, my mum, the dogs cats or anything like that. It's fact that Conservatives have done nothing that they said they would. Saying the fuel prices must go up because of things like the NHS, is a but like saying well the price of a car must go up because they're building a new cycle path, it doesn't add up. Nothing absolutely nothing justifies an 81p tax which they're getting on every litre from every single motorist in this country.

VAT is another thing, it's original idea was to be put on luxury items, now I don't know anyone that classes bread as a luxury. Road tax, that's £405 per year on my M3, £215 on my 525i both of which have had to be fixed out of my own pocket which I'm taxed on, because the road tax we pay isn't used for the roads like it's supposed to be. Now those cars cost me a lot to fix, a lot, yet if I don't pay the tax I'll be fined. Fair?

Costs me a lot to run my cars because of the fuel, now I pay tax national insurance and whatever else for things like the NHS, police etc etc. Now the Police who arrested my son for something he didn't do, wasted my time, my money and my fuel to go and collect my son. Fair? The police who we pau taxes for waste money on putting the wrong fuel in their cars, costing us money to fix something that isn't even ours, fair?

I could go on and on about this, but it's about time someone stood up and said something, and there comes my typical British attitude, it's about time 'someone', it's always 'someone' elses job, this someone will never make a difference, because whatever the government say that is what goes on. But I don't expect to pay 81p per litre of fuel for the NHS, I and many other pay enough tax for my businesses, my job, and I also pay national insurance, as I said I pay enough out of what I earn for things like the NHS, and the Police.

They've lied, done nothing they said they would, done pretty much everything they said they wouldn't do, but yet again that is 'someone' elses fault. Really is it? Or is it the fact they just wanted to get into power and then rip the piss out of 70% of the British population? And I'll say it yet again the NHS and Police do not justify fuel prices, that is total nonsene!

waspy

« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2011, 14:01:47 »

Maybe someone can answer the question of if the duty & tax on fuel doesn't pay for the NHS etc, then what is used on??
I for one think that RFL, fuel duty, income tax, VAT & so on are used for whatever they want to use them on.
I don't believe a word of what any of the MP's say. I don't trust any of them.
Unfortunatley the only thing we can do is bend over & be shafted, wake up everyone & realize that no matter what we do or what we say they won't take any notice.

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2011, 14:10:50 »

no, the problem is not with the price of fuel, but the amount of tax

the tax on fuel, like a lot of other tax we pay, apart from going to good causes like paying for our health services and such, its used to provide parliament with cars they get to use for free, their flights all over the world for no good reason, it's used to pay for their second homes, it's used to pay for all the other unnecessary stuff they waste it on instead of using their own income like the rest of us do

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2011, 14:13:26 »

Fuel has got nothing to do with the NHS, schools, my mum, the dogs cats or anything like that. It's fact that Conservatives have done nothing that they said they would. Saying the fuel prices must go up because of things like the NHS, is a but like saying well the price of a car must go up because they're building a new cycle path, it doesn't add up. Nothing absolutely nothing justifies an 81p tax which they're getting on every litre from every single motorist in this country.

VAT is another thing, it's original idea was to be put on luxury items, now I don't know anyone that classes bread as a luxury. Road tax, that's £405 per year on my M3, £215 on my 525i both of which have had to be fixed out of my own pocket which I'm taxed on, because the road tax we pay isn't used for the roads like it's supposed to be. Now those cars cost me a lot to fix, a lot, yet if I don't pay the tax I'll be fined. Fair?

Costs me a lot to run my cars because of the fuel, now I pay tax national insurance and whatever else for things like the NHS, police etc etc. Now the Police who arrested my son for something he didn't do, wasted my time, my money and my fuel to go and collect my son. Fair? The police who we pau taxes for waste money on putting the wrong fuel in their cars, costing us money to fix something that isn't even ours, fair?

I could go on and on about this, but it's about time someone stood up and said something, and there comes my typical British attitude, it's about time 'someone', it's always 'someone' elses job, this someone will never make a difference, because whatever the government say that is what goes on. But I don't expect to pay 81p per litre of fuel for the NHS, I and many other pay enough tax for my businesses, my job, and I also pay national insurance, as I said I pay enough out of what I earn for things like the NHS, and the Police.

They've lied, done nothing they said they would, done pretty much everything they said they wouldn't do, but yet again that is 'someone' elses fault. Really is it? Or is it the fact they just wanted to get into power and then rip the piss out of 70% of the British population? And I'll say it yet again the NHS and Police do not justify fuel prices, that is total nonsene!

But TAX does Del, and I'm afraid we all have to pay it to keep the country running ;) ;)  Tax on fuel, your car parts, the bottle of drink you buy, and large flat-screen TV all have the same in common; running the country. To repeat,  No TAX Income = No UK services!  It is not "nonsense" that the tax on all things, including petrol, pays for our services!

As for Bread Del, there is no tax on it or any other pure food product. These are NOT luxury items so attract no VAT, but a Mars Bar, tub of ice cream, or bottle of beer is considered quite properly a luxury item.  Children's clothes, newspapers, magazines and books are also zero VAT rated, as they are also considered a necessity, not a luxury.  So you see Del the difference between necessity or luxury product is fully taken into account!

I am afraid you are one of many who wish everything to be virtually free and blame the resident government for all things bad, but as I stated in my other post nothing is free, no more than your professional rate ;) ;) 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.