Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: should there be another fuel blockade  (Read 7997 times)

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
Re: should there be another fuel blockade
« Reply #90 on: 19 January 2011, 19:53:26 »

I would echo much of what Pembsomega has said. It is ludicrous to forget everything which happened before the last election and put the blame on the current Govt. They have had very little time to sort out the mess, although I personally have serious doubts that they will actually sort it.
I do think it is possible that another blockade would have some effect. When Bliar ignored the last one he had the luxury of a huge majority in Parliament, wheras the current Govt. are a fragile coalition who I think might be more easy to frighten into action.
Im not convinced that tax rises are the way out of the current situation. I feel strongly that there is a hell of a lot more waste and deadwood to be cut out of the bloated public sector before private sector businesses and their employees should be considered for donating yet more to the cause of refilling the treasury money box.
And it has been demonstrated in the past in the U.S that tax cuts can actually regenerate an economy and bring in more taxation revenue than the lazy, unimaginative method of simply taking more of peoples wages from them.

Totally agree, when labour came to power in 1997 for every one civilian working in the mod there was ten solders in the army/air force/navy

now for every ONE civilian worker in the mod there is only TWO solders.

Why did the mod need to increase its staff by more than 300%? because labour new by creating meaningless cushy public sector jobs then they could guarantee a huge vote form these workers 'because the torys would cut your jobs don’t ya know, vote labour'

I worked a few years ago as a security guard for group four, on their 'prime' contract, looking after dhss offices, job centres and the like, I was forever hearing people in these offices (staff) saying things like, 'we're working for tony' I couldn’t get them to understand that they were not working for tony or for labour, but for the country and the taxpayers, regardless of the incumbent government they were civil servants, but they wouldn’t have it.

My local council has almost tripled its staff since 2000; it’s now my counties biggest employer, why? Because before people had a job and they did it. if you wanted to complain about the bins you rang the bin department and spoke to a bin man or his boss, now you ring the call centre, who puts you through to the complaints dept and then you have a call back from someone else, so now you have 4 people doing what one man used to do along with whatever else he did on his day. It’s unreal.

One more thing, why whenever any public service or council says they have to cut jobs the unions come out bleating? this is 2011, the country has piss all money left, everyone is having to compromise and make savings, NO ONE IS ENTITLED TO A JOB FOR LIFE THESE DAYS, IF THERES NO MONEY TO PAY YOU THEN YOU LOOSE YOUR JOBS

I’m self employed and no one’s standing up for the like of me, be they mechanic, builder, plumber, shop keeper, driving instructor, or whatever, we have to tighten our belts and make sure we are careful so our businesses survive, I employ 6 people if I go bust they are out of work. Whose fighting our corner and threatening strikes just because they public sector has been dragged into the real world.

Rant over   

albitz

« Reply #91 on: 21 January 2011, 00:25:28 »

I like you Pembs, you stay as long as you like mate. :y :D ;D

mowerman

• bedfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 21 January 2011, 10:46:11 »

less than an hour to get the votes in still only 54 votes

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 21 January 2011, 10:46:26 »

Unleaded has gone up another 2.4% here in Spain in a week. Now 1.3 euro a litre. No bueno!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 21 January 2011, 11:02:23 »

I think the suggestion in this e-mail I received recently may have more effect:

[size=12]We are hitting £129.9 a litre in some areas now and soon we will be faced with paying £1.50 per litre. So Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign' that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it. and if you agree, join in...

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS - not sellers, control the market place. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year (2011) DON'T purchase ANY fuel from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one) i.e. ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers all around the world.

Well, it's really simple to do!!

Please don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach the millions of fuel-buyers we need to make it work.

I am sending this note to at least 30 people. If all of you send it   to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)....and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on.  By the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....

THREE HUNDRED MILLION  PEOPLE!!!

Again, all YOU have to do is send this to 10 people

(or as many as you can). That's all you have to do plus NOT buy motor fuel at ESSO/BP).

So how long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 plus MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

AND PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES.

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell,Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Jet etc. i.e. Boycott BP and Esso.

Just imagine the panic at BP and Esso Headquarters when

the fuel sales (and product sales from their forecourt shops) suddenly begin to fall.

Send this to ten e-addresses (or as many as you can) and not buy anything at BP or Esso forecourts. A simple yet effective way to see what a difference People Power can make.
[/size]

aaronjb

Martin_1962

« Reply #96 on: 21 January 2011, 12:52:08 »

Why boycot the decent fuel providers

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 21 January 2011, 15:49:37 »

Since I do very few miles, it makes no difference to me, but I think it might make some people feel better if they blockade or boycott certain companies.

mowerman

• bedfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 22 January 2011, 01:20:41 »

result of pole

58 votes 70.7% said yes infaver of action

thank you to everyone for taking part and making this topic so populer

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 22 January 2011, 01:37:17 »

I would echo much of what Pembsomega has said. It is ludicrous to forget everything which happened before the last election and put the blame on the current Govt. They have had very little time to sort out the mess, although I personally have serious doubts that they will actually sort it.
I do think it is possible that another blockade would have some effect. When Bliar ignored the last one he had the luxury of a huge majority in Parliament, wheras the current Govt. are a fragile coalition who I think might be more easy to frighten into action.
Im not convinced that tax rises are the way out of the current situation. I feel strongly that there is a hell of a lot more waste and deadwood to be cut out of the bloated public sector before private sector businesses and their employees should be considered for donating yet more to the cause of refilling the treasury money box.
And it has been demonstrated in the past in the U.S that tax cuts can actually regenerate an economy and bring in more taxation revenue than the lazy, unimaginative method of simply taking more of peoples wages from them.

Totally agree, when labour came to power in 1997 for every one civilian working in the mod there was ten solders in the army/air force/navy

now for every ONE civilian worker in the mod there is only TWO solders.

Why did the mod need to increase its staff by more than 300%? because labour new by creating meaningless cushy public sector jobs then they could guarantee a huge vote form these workers 'because the torys would cut your jobs don’t ya know, vote labour'

I worked a few years ago as a security guard for group four, on their 'prime' contract, looking after dhss offices, job centres and the like, I was forever hearing people in these offices (staff) saying things like, 'we're working for tony' I couldn’t get them to understand that they were not working for tony or for labour, but for the country and the taxpayers, regardless of the incumbent government they were civil servants, but they wouldn’t have it.

My local council has almost tripled its staff since 2000; it’s now my counties biggest employer, why? Because before people had a job and they did it. if you wanted to complain about the bins you rang the bin department and spoke to a bin man or his boss, now you ring the call centre, who puts you through to the complaints dept and then you have a call back from someone else, so now you have 4 people doing what one man used to do along with whatever else he did on his day. It’s unreal.

One more thing, why whenever any public service or council says they have to cut jobs the unions come out bleating? this is 2011, the country has piss all money left, everyone is having to compromise and make savings, NO ONE IS ENTITLED TO A JOB FOR LIFE THESE DAYS, IF THERES NO MONEY TO PAY YOU THEN YOU LOOSE YOUR JOBS

I’m self employed and no one’s standing up for the like of me, be they mechanic, builder, plumber, shop keeper, driving instructor, or whatever, we have to tighten our belts and make sure we are careful so our businesses survive, I employ 6 people if I go bust they are out of work. Whose fighting our corner and threatening strikes just because they public sector has been dragged into the real world.

Rant over   

I agree, too many public sector workers, lets close them down, get rid of Police and Fire, refuse collections, parks and libraries, Courts, museums etc and of course social services, who wants these services anyway? and if there are no social services we can not complain about the Baby P cases that occasionally hit the press, or the lack of support for disabled children as well as adults.... :y :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 22 January 2011, 01:42:21 »

I doubt there are too many public service WORKERS .. but there are certainly far to many public service MANAGERS and far too many public service "lets make up a job description".

Unfortunately, from my experience, there are very few actual WORKERS doing what they should, and a very bloated remainder taking what they can from the taxpayer.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 22 January 2011, 01:54:01 »

I doubt there are too many public service WORKERS .. but there are certainly far to many public service MANAGERS and far too many public service "lets make up a job description".

Unfortunately, from my experience, there are very few actual WORKERS doing what they should, and a very bloated remainder taking what they can from the taxpayer.

Dead right Nige >:(
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 22 January 2011, 01:57:39 »

Dead right Nige >:(

I would have to agree to that, and I would suggest the public have no idea of the number of 'nojobs' in middle management.... :-X

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 22 January 2011, 11:38:15 »

BBC Tv was saying this a.m. that unleaded will be 1.36p by April when the next scheduled government rise kicks in.

The other thing that was interesting was that UK diesel was the 2nd most expensive in Europe and Unleaded the fifth (if I remember correctly) in Europe.

Had to laugh at the suggestion of a discount for UK rural dwellers. Great concept but just how would that work. No the time to think about that was when "competition" killed the rural petrol station. Thankfully Petrol is more or less the same price everywhere in Spain. At least common sense has prevailed in Spain where rural dwellers re valued. Ye reap what you sow.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

pembsomega

• pembrokeshire, wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 22 January 2011, 13:34:08 »

I agree, too many public sector workers, lets close them down, get rid of Police and Fire, refuse collections, parks and libraries, Courts, museums etc and of course social services, who wants these services anyway? and if there are no social services we can not complain about the Baby P cases that occasionally hit the press, or the lack of support for disabled children as well as adults.... :y :y :y

did i say that? i suggest you take a minute and reread my post, if you confused me saying public sector workers for for people that actually that work on the front line then im sorry for not being clear enough but even the middle managers who work in the public sector are public sector workers. ofcorse we need fire men, police men, social workers etc, but we dont need an army of people to manage them on 50k plus a year each. why are many local council cheif executives paid more than the primeminister?

there was an advert in my local paper last year, for a postion in the local council, as "head of renewable nappy stratergy" basicaly encoraging parents to use terry nappies on the basis that its more enviromentaly friendly, and your reward for this? 55k a year. and head of it? so there more than one working on this?????

it needs to stop
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.