Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: After some buying advice  (Read 3475 times)

Shelby

• Intermediate Member
  • Sleaford, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
Re: After some buying advice
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2011, 22:04:37 »

Might have to pop down and have a look at this one tomorrow.  Would rather it had a bit more MOT on it to be honest but it's only about 15 mins down the road from me which is a bonus.

Shelby

• Intermediate Member
  • Sleaford, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2011, 23:52:29 »

From my in-experienced eye, that looks a no no. Its ancient, massive miles, and ..... My son in law's Megane was younger than that and it went to the scrapyard.

Look under ebay completed sales to see what they are going for to get an idea of price, one I found was http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-VAUXHALL-CORSA-EXPRESSION-12V-RED-/120793929642?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c1fe117aa  There is a market for bangers with a years MOT and nothing else, throw away in 12 months time.

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #18 on: 25 October 2011, 09:11:58 »

I've not driven one for a few years but recall a number of these 12v Corsas having a really aweful gear change.

Just something to watch out for.

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2011, 09:49:59 »

I've not driven one for a few years but recall a number of these 12v Corsas having a really aweful gear change.

I think that describes every manual Vauxhall I've ever driven (various Astras, Omegas, Vectras and Cavaliers, at least)..  Like stirring porridge ;D

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2011, 10:27:01 »

Have you looked at pistonheads -

Cam across this one
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2831549.htm

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 October 2011, 19:17:36 »

If it was my money I'd stear well clear of small Peugeots, Fords, Vauxhalls etc. The last owner was probably a tear arse and its on its last legs.

I'd seriously go for this below...not the prettiest but by christ they are bomb proof.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daihatsu-Sirion-1-0-auto-/220876625587?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item336d45d6b3

I'd probably go for a manual i.e. 1.3SL but you get the idea.
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

Shelby

• Intermediate Member
  • Sleaford, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 October 2011, 07:58:53 »

Sorry for not replying for a couple of days, had some tinterwebz issues!

Thanks for the further info and links  :y

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 October 2011, 08:35:12 »

I'd get a Rover 25/MG ZR, they're very good little cars, obviously check for coolant leaks, the 1.4 100 version is very nippy, the 1.6 even more so.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 October 2011, 08:53:03 »

Just something to watch out for.

Gear linkage is a known issue on the earlier ones, there is a repair kit for about 40 quid to sort them

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 October 2011, 08:54:04 »

I'd get a Rover 25/MG ZR, they're very good little cars, obviously check for coolant leaks, the 1.4 100 version is very nippy, the 1.6 even more so.

The trouble is that a 25 will have at least a 1.4 engine (insurance potentialy higher) and the 100 was a total heap of unreliable shite!

Shelby

• Intermediate Member
  • Sleaford, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 October 2011, 15:03:40 »

The trouble is that a 25 will have at least a 1.4 engine (insurance potentialy higher) and the 100 was a total heap of unreliable shite!

Absolutely no grey area in that statement  ;D

Ideally looking for 1.0 - 1.4 range.  Mainly for SWMBO and she only wants something small, her work (self employed) is all within a 10 mile radius from home (roughly) so don't really need anything nippy etc.  I am going to have to take the plunge on one soon haha.

tmx

• Omega Baron
  • Herefordshire
    • 3.2 MV6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 October 2011, 16:44:54 »

TB is right on the KA's ball joints rust and sills same for fiesta's

DCi clits are very good £30 road tax and a very reliable common rail engine theyre cheapish now especially high mileage variants

Steer clear of TDCi 1.4-1.8 ford engines friends have had loadsa trouble with them!

Peugeot/Citroen vehicles with a rear torsion beam suspension (106,206,306,Xsara,Saxo) should also be avoided at all costs the back axle can and does fall off!!! the subframe mounts go and thats game over!

Go Japanese micra's are bullet proof!!!! all that goes wrong with them is front cross member rusts away and is simple to replace or usually weldable!

Corsa's aint too bad avoid the 3 cylinder one iirc its troublesome? all corsa's seem to suffer is rust especially around the drivers seat area!!

ive had a 1.4 rover 400 was a very good car!! we kept it 2 years did about 40k miles in it! what killed it was rust the sills were rotten :(

your best bet is the 6N1 Polo theyre tough! and reliable! 1.4 8V is the best one imho gearboxes are theyre only downfall so make sure your happy with it on the test drive

Shelby

• Intermediate Member
  • Sleaford, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 October 2011, 08:20:16 »

TB is right on the KA's ball joints rust and sills same for fiesta's

DCi clits are very good £30 road tax and a very reliable common rail engine theyre cheapish now especially high mileage variants

Steer clear of TDCi 1.4-1.8 ford engines friends have had loadsa trouble with them!

Peugeot/Citroen vehicles with a rear torsion beam suspension (106,206,306,Xsara,Saxo) should also be avoided at all costs the back axle can and does fall off!!! the subframe mounts go and thats game over!

Go Japanese micra's are bullet proof!!!! all that goes wrong with them is front cross member rusts away and is simple to replace or usually weldable!

Corsa's aint too bad avoid the 3 cylinder one iirc its troublesome? all corsa's seem to suffer is rust especially around the drivers seat area!!

ive had a 1.4 rover 400 was a very good car!! we kept it 2 years did about 40k miles in it! what killed it was rust the sills were rotten :(

your best bet is the 6N1 Polo theyre tough! and reliable! 1.4 8V is the best one imho gearboxes are theyre only downfall so make sure your happy with it on the test drive

Funnily enought thats exactly what we are replacing and the OSR trailing arm / torsion bar is shot.  Only cost £200 as an emergency 9 months ago so cant really complain though.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 October 2011, 08:55:38 »

I jacked up an 06 Ka and the jack went right through the sill :o :o rotten as a pear
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.