Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: headlight query  (Read 1362 times)

craig

• north wales/connah's quay
    • View Profile
headlight query
« on: 04 July 2008, 22:19:58 »

well i've bought some new lights off fleabay from germany last night and paid today for them!but after reading the topic about the beast in the gallery section i am now very concerned ::)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/cossieboi/omegaheadlights.jpg
these are the lights but after reading that topic!!are they legal?what do they mean when they say made for left hand drive?whats the difference please?!!can i have some advice please as i'm fuming at the moment >:(

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: headlight query
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2008, 22:26:11 »

Left hand drive cars have a different beam pattern to right hand drive cars

If you imagine a "h" pattern on the road, it shows the left side of the pattern to highlight the kerbside more.

On left hand drive the pattern is reversed, which in effect puts more light towards traffic on the opposite side of the road.

Email the guy and if he hasnt sent them, then ask for RHD versions or a refund.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2008, 22:33:03 »

Germany drive on the other side of the road...does the auction specify that they are LHD???
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

craig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2008, 22:36:07 »

no it doesn't say nothing about being lhd >:(
can i alter them at all by using my originals?

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2008, 22:36:42 »

well i've bought some new lights off fleabay from germany last night and paid today for them!but after reading the topic about the beast in the gallery section i am now very concerned ::)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/cossieboi/omegaheadlights.jpg
these are the lights but after reading that topic!!are they legal?what do they mean when they say made for left hand drive?whats the difference please?!!can i have some advice please as i'm fuming at the moment >:(

Sounds like it did.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

craig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2008, 22:40:40 »

no no someone responded to the lad saying that they were lhd lights!!if i knew how to quote this i would do it mate!!

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2008, 23:28:05 »

To be fair to the buyer...as said Germany drive on the right which means they are LHD so it would be fair as a seller on German ebay not to state they are LHD as it could be taken as a fair assumption, bit like if you bought some headlights in the UK you would expect them to be RHD and for use in the UK?

Seems the question wasnt asked by the buyer and the knowledge wasnt there hence the buyer bought the wrong item for his needs...and fuming or not it seems to me that this is not really the sellers fault...but then I havent seen the ebay auction and wording...
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2008, 23:32:19 »

Seems like u bought left hand drive (lhd) lights - no good for UK.  Don't see that u have any comeback on seller - u can only rely on his goodwill and ask if he will offer a refund.  A lot of sellers will not refund if buyer has purchased goods in error or in "ignorance". :(
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2008, 23:34:50 »

are they legal?what do they mean when they say made for left hand drive?whats the difference please?!!can i have some advice please as i'm fuming at the moment >:(
We in the UK drive on the left side of the road so the drivers seat is on the right hand side of the car (right hand drive) so you are sat towards the centre of the road...

Most of the rest of the world including Germany drive on the right side of the road so the drivers seat is on the left handside of the car (left hand drive) again so the driver is sat towards the centre of the road...

The headlights are aimed towards the curb slightly and beam pattern is also heavier towards the curb side...therefore in the UK the beam is towards the left and abroad the beam is towards the right...

The lights will most likely be legal...when you are driving in a country that is LHD, like Germany...not in the UK as the LHD lights with the car driven on the left side of the road will mean the beam pattern directing directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic...

craig

• View Profile

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2008, 23:59:04 »

On my facelift omega i have xenons which have a sort of switch inside the light so that when you want to drive on the other side of the road you can swap the beam over.
I only found this because the guy at the garage put a side light bulb in and must of moved it so when i used the car at night it looked like i had a bulb gone.
Is this only on xenon lights or is it on all.
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2008, 00:23:23 »

On my facelift omega i have xenons which have a sort of switch inside the light so that when you want to drive on the other side of the road you can swap the beam over.
I only found this because the guy at the garage put a side light bulb in and must of moved it so when i used the car at night it looked like i had a bulb gone.
Yep, fairly sure, when fixing my battered old cdx lights to get through mot, that there was a lever to swap for left hand drive, on the continent, i presumed, dont hold me to it tho.

Try a search, or was it on the other site?

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2008, 00:32:28 »

Yep, fairly sure, when fixing my battered old cdx lights to get through mot, that there was a lever to swap for left hand drive, on the continent, i presumed, dont hold me to it tho.

Try a search, or was it on the other site?

Yep, you lads are half right!....or left depending which country you are in!  ;D

There is a switch fitted on the lense of vehicles fitted with projector style lenses (including xenons). The switch only serves as a TEMPORARY measure however as it simply FLATTENS the beam pattern from \___    to _____  for travelling abroad.

This will not pass an MOT in the uk. Craig, if you can imagine, the beam pattern on your new lights will be ___/ to account for the left hand drive. In no circumstances should you use this in the UK like this, you will blind oncoming traffic!

Would be interesting if you could modify the new units though?

craig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2008, 00:51:33 »

i've just emailed my polish colleage from work who has brought a car over from poland and has not altered the lights in anyway but yet it passed an mot on tues!!!yet they drive on same side as germans so surely his lights would have been illegal too???

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 July 2008, 01:09:47 »

Look here :-
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_160.htm and you'll find :-

Right hand dip headlamps can be temporarily altered for use in the UK by fitting masks or converter kits which remove the beam 'kick-up' to the right.

A headlamp altered in this way is not a reason for rejection, ifa. the headlamp aim is not rejected for the reasons listed under diagram 1 (except that the top of the beam image will be a straight line)

b. the light output is not unduly
reduced - not usually a problem with commercially produced kits

c. the mask or converter is securely attached

HTH  :y
« Last Edit: 05 July 2008, 01:12:47 by Andy_B »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.