Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 TD vs 2.2DTi  (Read 751 times)

Scatmancraig

• Skellingthorpe, Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
2.5 TD vs 2.2DTi
« on: 05 July 2008, 00:41:52 »

Ok.  I'm looking for an Omega diesel.  My original thoughts were to get the newest & lowest mileage 2.5 TD that i could buy, preferrably in Elite spec.  But these are quite rare, so was wondering what is the later 2.2 diesel like?

About the only thing i've learnt so far is that the 2.2 is on a chain rather than a cam belt.  So slightly less to worry about - i think.  

So what should i do?  Hold out for a decent 2.5?  Or go & buy a 2.2??  Please can someone advise??  :-/

HNO3GOH

• Somerset
  • Play time.
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 TD vs 2.2DTi
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2008, 01:02:07 »

If you want auto then go for the 2.5 but if you want better mpg then go for the 2.2.
My last 2.2 diesel had 237,000 miles on it and it is still going now.
They will pull all day long and never let you down and i have seen them with as much as 460,000 on the clock.

They are about 10 bhp down on the 2.5 unit but it still goes very well. The 2.2 is not quite as smooth on tick over as the 2.5 but it is a very good engine and i now have my second 2.2 DTI.

Hope this has helped you in your quest for a omega diesel  :y
Garage clear out in March 2011 and I will have a large amount of omega parts going very cheap.

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2008, 04:08:36 »

Alot of the 2.5's are getting on in age now, and with age comes increased mileage, hell, just trying to find a low mileage diesel is hard enough! All 2.5's will be 8+ years old now.

The 2.2DTi Elite is probably rarer than a 2.5 Elite and obviously, all 2.2's will be on a facelifted shape. There are just a handful of 2.5's available on the facelift shape, which I personally think looks more modern and complete.

The 2.5 can be tuned slightly easier than the 2.2, manipulating the engine ecu but both can be tuned to around 150BHP if they are not fast enough for you.

The economy for the 2.5 diesel I think is quite poor against the 2.2 which can provide a steady 42mpg even up to 48-50mpg. The torque figure from the 2.2 is nearly identical to the 3.2 V6!

As HN03 says, 2.2 only available in manual and 4 cylinders. 2.5 is a BMW derived (using the term loosely!) straight 6.

The downside that really sticks in my head for the 2.5 is that engine oil should be changed every 4-5 thousand miles which I think is personally ridiculous. Vauxhall quoted figure is 20k(!) for the 2.2, this is recommended to be halved by owners to 10k which improves effiency etc.

2.2 is clattery on startup but quietens down after 1/2hr+ of driving, 2.5 is likely to be smoother. Make no mistake, neither are 'quiet' diesels by today's standards but the comfort and sound deadening of the Omega makes a good job of masking the noise.

My money? The 2.2. Newer, cheaper to maintain, more reliable and still well priced for a 'modern' car. Hope this helps  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2008, 13:05:52 »

Alot of the 2.5's are getting on in age now, and with age comes increased mileage, hell, just trying to find a low mileage diesel is hard enough! All 2.5's will be 8+ years old now.

The 2.2DTi Elite is probably rarer than a 2.5 Elite and obviously, all 2.2's will be on a facelifted shape. There are just a handful of 2.5's available on the facelift shape, which I personally think looks more modern and complete.

The 2.5 can be tuned slightly easier than the 2.2, manipulating the engine ecu but both can be tuned to around 150BHP if they are not fast enough for you.

The economy for the 2.5 diesel I think is quite poor against the 2.2 which can provide a steady 42mpg even up to 48-50mpg. The torque figure from the 2.2 is nearly identical to the 3.2 V6!

As HN03 says, 2.2 only available in manual and 4 cylinders. 2.5 is a BMW derived (using the term loosely!) straight 6.

The downside that really sticks in my head for the 2.5 is that engine oil should be changed every 4-5 thousand miles which I think is personally ridiculous. Vauxhall quoted figure is 20k(!) for the 2.2, this is recommended to be halved by owners to 10k which improves effiency etc.

2.2 is clattery on startup but quietens down after 1/2hr+ of driving, 2.5 is likely to be smoother. Make no mistake, neither are 'quiet' diesels by today's standards but the comfort and sound deadening of the Omega makes a good job of masking the noise.

My money? The 2.2. Newer, cheaper to maintain, more reliable and still well priced for a 'modern' car. Hope this helps  :y
All diesels really need short oil change intervals. Thats why the local dealer here was still recently servicing a 600,000m TD used as taxi. Short oil changes even more important on both diesels as chain driven.

When running right, both 2.2 and 2.5 have similar economy and bhp, but 2.5 has more torque (this is running it chipped to near bmw spec).  Being turbos, performance mods to silly bhp possible, but loose drivability.

2.5TD is a BMW engine, lock stock and barrel, not 'derived'.  Only difference is Vauxhall run detuned to stop it breaking the autobox.

Both seem to have reliability issues with injection pump (rather expensive), 2.5 also has water pump issues.
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2008, 20:49:38 »

the oil is working a lot harder in the six cylinder than the four, obviously, as it has half an engine again to get round and lubricate,
mine is done every 3k and for the ten mins it takes it doesnt bother me in the slightest water pump issues? not to sure all of them suffer from it but certainly it is something to consider, but again its not to difficult to do, fuel pump? well if it goes it goes but again there are plenty around that have done over 250k,think by far the worst problem with the car is the very weak ar 25box
jm2pw!! :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2008, 10:59:29 »

the oil is working a lot harder in the six cylinder than the four, obviously, as it has half an engine again to get round and lubricate,
mine is done every 3k and for the ten mins it takes it doesnt bother me in the slightest water pump issues? not to sure all of them suffer from it but certainly it is something to consider, but again its not to difficult to do, fuel pump? well if it goes it goes but again there are plenty around that have done over 250k,think by far the worst problem with the car is the very weak ar 25box
jm2pw!! :y
just pointing out the common issues ;)

should add the td does have habit of silting up rad.

ar25 not the ideal box for the car
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.