Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing rear hub Questions.  (Read 4467 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Removing rear hub Questions.
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2021, 18:29:09 »

Hi all thanks for all the info.

Bearing arrived today and I was surprised to see the pack has two Circlips. I had presumed once inserted the bearing would sit against a shoulder with a retaining circlip to hold it in.
Am I mistaken is there a circlip back and front of the bearing?
Also they really are the biggest circlips that I have seen. Any recommendations on heavy duty but reasonably inexpensive pliers to suit?

The Omega only uses one circlip, on the outside. But the bearing is used in other applications(4wd Calibra/Cavalier if I remember right) which will use one at each end.

As for the pliers, you will need large and robust pliers to do the job. I have used THIS SET to do the job on several Omegas. Do not try this with the ones that interchangeable tips - they're far too flimsy.

The circlip won't want to come out; clean all of it you can reach using a small wire brush in a Dremel, lightly tap the clip all the way round with a small punch, and make sure each end moves out of the groove using your new pliers. Then you put a small screwdriver or pick into the gap, and work your way around until it comes free. Try not to snap the clip, as that makes removing the rest a lot trickier. You don't need me to mention cleaning the groove thoroughly do you :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2021, 18:47:59 »

Hi all thanks for all the info.

Bearing arrived today and I was surprised to see the pack has two Circlips. I had presumed once inserted the bearing would sit against a shoulder with a retaining circlip to hold it in.
Am I mistaken is there a circlip back and front of the bearing?
Also they really are the biggest circlips that I have seen. Any recommendations on heavy duty but reasonably inexpensive pliers to suit?

Regards,

Graham.

Only one circlip - on the outboard side. Dunno why they've given you two - packing error perhaps.

If you think the new one is big, then wait till you see the old one still fitted in it's groove. You may need to empty your swear box once or twice. In an ideal world, go to your local tool-shop and buy the largest/strongest circlip pliers they've got. 

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 August 2021, 12:07:38 »

It’s a pity the original female threads were not able to be re-tapped as is often the case.

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 August 2021, 13:58:57 »

Well this goes from bad to worse, largely my fault.
I eventually managed to get the hub out after quite a struggle. The tool I made to push the hub out (tube with 2 side tabs that bolt to the rear of the trailing arm) twisted out of shape despite being made of 6mm steel. The forces required to move that hub were immense.
Now the dimwittery. Once out, using an angle grinder I cut a small slot in the Inner being race so i could get it off. I nice sharp blow with a cold chisel and the bearing split. Once off I saw the 10mm long by 1mm deep and wide slit I had cut into the hub directly under where the bearing sits. I presume that this hub is now utterly Fubar. Any advice on that diagnosis would be gratefully received.
I am really at the beam me up please stage at the moment. I trust my sense of humour will return at some point.
Regards,

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 August 2021, 14:26:40 »

Well this goes from bad to worse, largely my fault.
I eventually managed to get the hub out after quite a struggle. The tool I made to push the hub out (tube with 2 side tabs that bolt to the rear of the trailing arm) twisted out of shape despite being made of 6mm steel. The forces required to move that hub were immense.
Now the dimwittery. Once out, using an angle grinder I cut a small slot in the Inner being race so i could get it off. I nice sharp blow with a cold chisel and the bearing split. Once off I saw the 10mm long by 1mm deep and wide slit I had cut into the hub directly under where the bearing sits. I presume that this hub is now utterly Fubar. Any advice on that diagnosis would be gratefully received.
I am really at the beam me up please stage at the moment. I trust my sense of humour will return at some point.
Regards,

Normal, although that's a bit longer than I manage. Cutting at about 45° usually leaves just a small mark. Lightly polish with some fine emery tape to remove  any sharp edges and stop worrying. The Metro hub I recently changed already had 2 similar marks, plus the one I added.

I've just been going through my piles of junk, and found a LH brake backing plate with all of the handbrake parts if you're interested.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2021, 14:29:03 by Nick W »

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2021, 14:32:20 »

Thanks for the quick reply Nick, that is very reassuring.
Regards,

Graham.

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 August 2021, 14:32:21 »

Hi Nick,
I've just noticed your edit. I am interested in the backplate and handbrake parts.
Let me know.
Graham

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 August 2021, 17:03:38 »

Hi Nick, Have you thought any more about the brake backplate etc. I am interested.
Graham
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.