Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Phone Cons  (Read 2931 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile Phone Cons
« Reply #15 on: 29 March 2021, 14:13:19 »

When I get one of these calls there is always a delay before they speak + you can hear other scammers in the background it's a dead giveaway , had one last week who rang on the house phone & asked " who am I speaking to" , who do you want it to be pal was my reply you rang me ? He hung up without saying another word.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 March 2021, 14:32:14 »

As I said when I 1st posted, what are they hopeing to gain.

We know these calls are a scam

They know its a scam.

We all have insurance companies to deal with our car accident scams

Plus on top of all this I thought "Cold Calling" was illegal now?
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 March 2021, 14:43:28 »

Plus on top of all this I thought "Cold Calling" was illegal now?

It is, but I think the Indian police have bigger fish to fry.

There is no way to stop it really. You can let all your calls go to answering machine and leave a message saying, 'Hi I screen my calls, if you want a call back, leave a message'.

I argued with one last week, claiming he was from Carphone Warehouse. I told him he wasn't, be he was so insistent. I said, well delete my number and stop phoning me. He replied, I can't unless I get a sale. I pointed out that if he was CPW, he would have to comply to my legal request. I also pointed out, I don't believe your name, your company or your phone number. What makes you think I'm going to give you any of my details?
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 March 2021, 14:54:53 »

I doubt call centre factories in Bangalore give a flying monkey shit about the legality of what they do.

They possibly use them for staff training courses as part of the induction process into genuine corporate call centres, although I doubt it.

As for the why... it depends on the type of scam, but basically to get your money into their pockets either by making you pay for summat you'll never receive or to make use of something that you've already paid for or harvesting your data and selling it to the highest bidders such as global conglomerates or any company that wants your data but can't 'legally' get it without your permission.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 March 2021, 20:16:40 »

A lot of calls in the past have come through on a local STD code and for the sake of wondering who it was they got answered, when they have an accent I allways get inquisitive and ask where they are from, and ask then , where are you calling from.  Was gobsmaked when one lad said he was calling from Mumbai and using my local STD code. :-\
Number spoofing has been used for quite a while now. Despite what these so called 'street wise' people who have been conned say, I reckon you'd have to be a bit retarded to fall for any of these scams.
When sending a GSM SMS, you actually include the sender ID as part of the message.  Now most phones dont allow you to adjust this, but any proper SMS application certainly does.

So beyond trivial to spoof text messages
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 March 2021, 20:20:28 »

British public are stupid.

They only need a handful to believe them to make it worthwhile.

And the British public are stupid.

It clearly is working for them, else these would slowly dry up.

Oh, and the British public are pretty gullible. And stupid.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 March 2021, 20:21:46 »

A lot of calls in the past have come through on a local STD code and for the sake of wondering who it was they got answered, when they have an accent I allways get inquisitive and ask where they are from, and ask then , where are you calling from.  Was gobsmaked when one lad said he was calling from Mumbai and using my local STD code. :-\
Number spoofing has been used for quite a while now. Despite what these so called 'street wise' people who have been conned say, I reckon you'd have to be a bit retarded to fall for any of these scams.
When sending a GSM SMS, you actually include the sender ID as part of the message.  Now most phones dont allow you to adjust this, but any proper SMS application certainly does.

Maybe, but Skruntie said calls, and any scam call centre worth it's salt can easily do that.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 March 2021, 20:24:11 »

Jim Browning is an interesting watch.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 March 2021, 20:26:57 »

Maybe, but Skruntie said calls, and any scam call centre worth it's salt can easily do that.
Indeed. But I was getting across even little jonny can do it from his bedroom whilst mummy thinks he's doing his homework :)
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 March 2021, 20:29:07 »

Indeed. But I was getting across even little jonny can do it from his bedroom whilst mummy thinks he's doing his homework :)
There are lots of things little Jonny can do in his bedroom, unbeknown to his mummy  ;D
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 March 2021, 20:39:04 »

Come again :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 March 2021, 13:10:00 »

There are lots of things little Jonny can do in his bedroom, unbeknown to his mummy  ;D

Yes. But most of them end up as a 'sticky mess'.... 8)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 March 2021, 16:52:52 »

Credit where it's due TB, you had the opportunity to answer bluntly and curtly, but no, you took the extra time to make sure that your reply was both articulate and finessed. Well done.  :y  :)  .................... ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 March 2021, 17:23:17 »

Yes, all regrettably correct TB :y

That is why so many hand over thousands of pounds, often their life savings, they have withdrawn from their bank on the instructions of the "police" to couriers who call on the doorstep ::) ::) :'( :'( :'( :'(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 March 2021, 17:56:16 »

Credit where it's due TB, you had the opportunity to answer bluntly and curtly, but no, you took the extra time to make sure that your reply was both articulate and finessed. Well done.  :y  :)  .................... ;D
Why Thank you Mr Yz.

I really do think the tablets to help me discover a new, softer, me are really helping.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.