Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Breakdown cover  (Read 6377 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown cover
« Reply #30 on: 09 November 2023, 19:13:48 »

www.rescuemycar.com

I think I paid about £55 for any car personal cover, but you pay a £40 excess if you call them. Your card details are the first thing they ask for.  ::)

I haven't called them out for a few years now, but every time I have someone has turned up quite quickly and recovered me home without fuss.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 November 2023, 19:24:04 »

Just renewed mine with Autonational Rescue. It was even a quid cheaper than last year. The only time i've needed them they were very good.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 November 2023, 19:49:40 »

My neighbour has just had his Class 7 LWB Transit recovered from Ilfracombe (208 miles) in one hit by Britannia. He paid thirty odd quid for recovery as part of his LV vehicle insurance. I’ve no idea what it would be separately or for multi-car but my neighbour was impressed with the service and couldn’t praise them enough.  :y
My Mk2 Granada rad gave out just as we got to Ilfracombe, years ago now. Dad was in RAC and it covered any car he was in. Ford dealers in Barnstable didn't have a correct replacement so arranged recovery for when our weeks holbobs was over. A local firm turned up, On a Hill garage , Combe Martin. Drove back to Suffolk, unloaded car and straight back to Devon. Didn't even stop for a cuppa.  :D. Poor sod did miss a Moto X event he was due to ride in though. Still, Dad did give him a bloody good tip.  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 November 2023, 20:27:59 »

Green flag, £78 per year
Is that for a single person and or car, or joint, or multiple cars?

My concern with Green Flag is what Nick W used to say when he was a recovery man....
Single car.
OK, cheers.  Probably around the same price as what the AA want then.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 November 2023, 20:39:52 »

www.rescuemycar.com

I think I paid about £55 for any car personal cover, but you pay a £40 excess if you call them. Your card details are the first thing they ask for.  ::)

I haven't called them out for a few years now, but every time I have someone has turned up quite quickly and recovered me home without fuss.  :y
I think I have used them for single trip euro trips before, though didn't actually have to use them.

Having a quick look, looking at joint personal cover for me and 'er indoors, it seems to want car details for one car, but quotes different depending what car I enter....
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 November 2023, 21:51:27 »

www.rescuemycar.com

I think I have used them for single trip euro trips before, though didn't actually have to use them.

Having a quick look, looking at joint personal cover for me and 'er indoors, it seems to want car details for one car, but quotes different depending what car I enter....

Yes strange that for any car personal cover they want to quote on a particular car.  I guess the quote is based on your daily drive.  :-\

Just go with the cheaper car.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 November 2023, 10:53:08 »

If your vehicle is covered by the manufacturer's warranty, then most jobs are going to be a simple return to whatever dealer is nearest. The contractor who collects your car has nothing to do with the courtesy replacement. Actually, that's not quite accurate; the courtesy replacement procedure often doesn't start until your car is removed!

This is not correct, we for instance have specific training and JLR diag kit in the recovery agents hands, its not unusual to get a software update and valid repair at the roadside. They also get priority cars from the dealers for recovered vehicles, I would say the manufacturers cover can be breakdown cover ++  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 November 2023, 15:53:51 »

www.rescuemycar.com

Yes strange that for any car personal cover they want to quote on a particular car.  I guess the quote is based on your daily drive.  :-\

Just go with the cheaper car.  :y
I'll sort some quotes from it nearer the time I need it, and ponder.  Then decide, being a Jaaaaaaagg owner, do I want to take the option with or without excess ;D.

Obviously, if when I tell the AA to sling their hook they come back with a sensible offer, that changes the dynamic a bit.

Green Flag want £120 per person for personal coverage, so despite their adverts, are massively more expensive than either the AA or the RAC. Mongrels.

I could rejoin the CSMA I suppose if their breakdown partner is competitive....

Decisions decisions
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 November 2023, 17:33:33 »

CSMA provider is Britannia Rescue. My experience from the sharp end is they were the one that caused the least problems to us doing their work - things like not having to wait 90 minutes for authorisation to recover the car that were common with others. According to my boss, they also paid promptly....

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 November 2023, 18:25:08 »

I can't give any feedback on the providers I've used in the past, I've never needed them.  :)
Diesel till I die

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 November 2023, 19:16:53 »

I joined AA back in 1984 then some years ago now[I forget how many] I cancelled that membership as I got it through my bank account along with phone insurance and travel insurance.Only used them three times in all those years,last time was when the crank sensor failed on the Omega,they didn't have one of course so towed me home[it was only a mile or so].It's personal cover with roadside and recovery,not sure it has home start but that doesn't bother me if the car doesn't start when at home as it can stay put until I fix it.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 November 2023, 20:24:07 »

When my mum broke down in her Seat they came quick as at 87 she is priority, diagnosed in 1/2 hr but took an hour for recovery to her house.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 November 2023, 20:59:50 »

I joined AA back in 1984 then some years ago now[I forget how many] I cancelled that membership as I got it through my bank account along with phone insurance and travel insurance.Only used them three times in all those years,last time was when the crank sensor failed on the Omega,they didn't have one of course so towed me home[it was only a mile or so].It's personal cover with roadside and recovery,not sure it has home start but that doesn't bother me if the car doesn't start when at home as it can stay put until I fix it.
We used to get ours through our bank account until we realised commuting wasn't included. What fickin use is that?
Diesel till I die

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 12 November 2023, 11:33:48 »

If you just want national recovery so you can sort out problems yourself  then try Start Rescue - about £40-£50 and covers the car whoever is driving.

Beware some companies that offer national recovery have clauses in the small print that say they either recover you OR pay a small contribution to a night in a hotel, at their discretion.  You can guess which they might choose. 

Almost all companies won't recover you if the problem is caused by an accident. 'Start' do cover accidents. 

I used to use Rescue My Car - also good but have a call out charge.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 12 November 2023, 12:03:58 »

If you just want national recovery so you can sort out problems yourself  then try Start Rescue - about £40-£50 and covers the car whoever is driving.

Beware some companies that offer national recovery have clauses in the small print that say they either recover you OR pay a small contribution to a night in a hotel, at their discretion.  You can guess which they might choose. 

Almost all companies won't recover you if the problem is caused by an accident. 'Start' do cover accidents. 

I used to use Rescue My Car - also good but have a call out charge.
Thanks, though by the time both cars are on, it's not that cheap. We prefer the person cover rather than car cover, especially as we frequently have more than 2 cars between the pair of us!

Rescue My Car you can pay around £20 more and not have to pay the £40 excess, which is food for thought.

I have about a month to decide ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 17 queries.