Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol consumption.  (Read 4420 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol consumption.
« Reply #15 on: 23 December 2023, 14:50:43 »

8 GEARS,  :o Christ, i've only just mastered 5.  :-[ ;D

that's cos you've too many pedals, though my Merc 'only' has 7 ....  ;) Having said that, my daughters manual Yaris has 6  :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 December 2023, 15:37:23 »

that's cos you've too many pedals, though my Merc 'only' has 7 ....  ;) Having said that, my daughters manual Yaris has 6  :y
Borrowed my son in law's Mundano when i was looking for a replacement for my dead Desmond. That was a 6 speed manual. Not a bad drive but seemed a bit 'tinny.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 December 2023, 15:40:37 »

I've been looking at 3.0 ltr petrol 5 series estates on Autotrader and thought that the MPG figures claimed were BS, but having seen Tunnies and now your MPG, I'm thinking they are probably about right afterall.  :-\

Quite impressive for a big petrol straight 6:y

I suppose the march of technology has made cars more efficient and frugal over the passing decades.

Fuel injection is more efficient that carbs, especially when needles and jets get worn causing the car to run 'rich'

Set and forget electronic ignition will be more efficient than worn and pitted contact points.

Cars run with higher gearing these days with 50 MPH requiring only around 1200 RPM in 8th gear. Most cars in the seventies needed about 3000 RPM in top (4th) to see 50 MPH.

Having said this  the Mexican is not helped by being a 'fat bastard' at around 1700KG......a decent 2 door coupe of yesteryear, like a 3 litre Capri, weighed in at around 1000 KG. ???

8 GEARS,  :o Christ, i've only just mastered 5:-[ ;D

Do you have fond memories of the ignition advance and retard mechanism on the steering wheel, Ronny? >:D ;)

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 December 2023, 19:44:46 »

Its having to stick your hand out side the cab to work the gears and brakes as well!!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 December 2023, 21:26:35 »

Wouldnt matter to swmbo if it had 6 or 26 gears, she will only ever use four. Apparently theres no need for any more than that. Its just modern gimmickry.  ;D

Speaking of petrol consumption. My early cars - 1.2 Viva, 1.5 Avenger and similar never returned 30 mpg despite being glacially slow.
It was pence per gallon then though, so it didnt matter too much.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 December 2023, 21:44:37 »

I've been looking at 3.0 ltr petrol 5 series estates on Autotrader and thought that the MPG figures claimed were BS, but having seen Tunnies and now your MPG, I'm thinking they are probably about right afterall.  :-\

Quite impressive for a big petrol straight 6:y

I suppose the march of technology has made cars more efficient and frugal over the passing decades.

Fuel injection is more efficient that carbs, especially when needles and jets get worn causing the car to run 'rich'

Set and forget electronic ignition will be more efficient than worn and pitted contact points.

Cars run with higher gearing these days with 50 MPH requiring only around 1200 RPM in 8th gear. Most cars in the seventies needed about 3000 RPM in top (4th) to see 50 MPH.

Having said this  the Mexican is not helped by being a 'fat bastard' at around 1700KG......a decent 2 door coupe of yesteryear, like a 3 litre Capri, weighed in at around 1000 KG. ???

8 GEARS,  :o Christ, i've only just mastered 5:-[ ;D

Do you have fond memories of the ignition advance and retard mechanism on the steering wheel, Ronny? >:D ;)
Not quite that old, your Grace.  :P :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 December 2023, 13:26:09 »

Wouldnt matter to swmbo if it had 6 or 26 gears, she will only ever use four. Apparently theres no need for any more than that. Its just modern gimmickry.  ;D

Speaking of petrol consumption. My early cars - 1.2 Viva, 1.5 Avenger and similar never returned 30 mpg despite being glacially slow.

Anyone remember the Viva GT from the late sixties. A black bonnet (usually) and a 2 litre 4 pot.

Quite a quick car for the day.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 December 2023, 13:33:00 »

Anyone remember the Viva GT from the late sixties. A black bonnet (usually) and a 2 litre 4 pot.

No I'm far too young.  :)

In Lord Opti years I'm about 16.  >:D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 December 2023, 13:41:52 »

No I'm far too young. :)

In Lord Opti years I'm about 16.  >:D

So am I.

An old person once told me about this car in the time of the dinosaurs. :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 December 2023, 15:09:12 »

Did you ask Fred Flintstone?  :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 December 2023, 17:25:15 »

There was also a Brabham Viva.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 December 2023, 19:40:58 »

Now that takes me back-------

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 December 2023, 20:03:17 »

About 40 years ago a mate of mine agreed to buy one. He went to collect and pay for it but the seller had taken it out for one last drive, and wrote it off.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 December 2023, 11:03:44 »

So I bought my BMW based off my car share trips to work. When we first started sharing lifts, my buddy had a 2015 BMW M235i. (2 door) - At the time I still had my 3.2 Elite. His 3.0 petrol was hugely more powerful, frugal and sounded just as great if not better thanks to the exhaust. (stock BMW)

Chalk and cheese type of cars and the age at which they were designed/built. But he would easily crack 30mpg and he drives like TB...

So when I started looking for a replacement thanks to ULEZ, I was drawn to an N55 block 3.0 petrol BMW. From what I see generally very reliable unless you go track with them and tune them up hard.

Pop these engines in Eco mode and it allows the car/engine to coast. This I found has a big effect on fuel use and can really make it drop. It's also very efficient on the motorway, even for a short period. I often join the M25 after leaving work with MPG around ~24-27mpg. Usually like to win the traffic light grand prix drags now  ;D

But just 15 mins and it's low 30's and I'll average 33mpg or so by the time I'm home. That's sitting in the BMW lane as well, not doing 60. These engines much prefer doing 75-95mph.

I could never find a m235i in the spec I wanted, BMW's are a nightmare due to options when looking second hand. So you have to go through all the photos in detail to see what it actually has. I wanted Pro Nav, Parking Senors (front/rear) *yes each was an option  ::), memory mirrors and cruise. But even this basic shopping list was hard to find, always one would be missing.

Stroke of luck and I found my 435i with all the trimming on it plus ones I did not expect. (HUD, Memory Seats, Adaptive Lights)

Not sure this engine and more weight would help in the 5 series, I do notice the performance loss between m235i and my 435i, but his was 325bhp mine is 302bhp. Think the B58's would be a better choice and a stage one remap brings those up I think to nearly 430bhp.

At some point I'm very tempted to Stage1 mine, as it would go from 302bhp to 380bhp!! But I also need some pocket money to upgrade the charge pipe first.

If little fatty can get over the badge, I think this engine (or B58) in something like a 4 series could suit him. I don't find the ride harsh, as this was before the "M" lite type was officially born.

Current car my lift share buddy has is a 2021 m235i, but this is the 4 door one and "only" a 4 pot petrol but still makes 300bhp. We find mine sounds a heck of a lot better and not a massive difference in fuel use.

To sum up, 30mpg on a mixed drive into outskirts of London is no problem. Longer runs, mid 30's very easily even if cruising in outside lane.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 December 2023, 11:07:41 »

These also sound fantasic even unmodified, far better than any diesel. Quite a difference starting my current car to the old daddy bus in the morning!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 18 queries.