Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shortage of Second Hand Cars  (Read 1514 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Shortage of Second Hand Cars
« on: 12 August 2021, 16:03:27 »

Some of you may know this already, but apparently their is a severe shortage of second hand cars at main dealers.

Whilst speaking today to an old friend who has worked in the main dealer business for decades, he says he has never seen anything like it.  His dealer and the others, like Vauxhall that he used to work for, just cannot find the stock.  Many people are now just doing what many on here are doing; keeping their old cars running for years longer. No one can afford the electric of hybrid cars, and as he says the likes of Ford have stopped supplying new petrol engined version of their models, thus increasing the desire of many to keep their old models.

Perhaps this is old news, and helps to explain the rocketing prices of second hand cars, but come 2030 what will we poor old sods being doing? Maybe my "classic" Omega will be worth £5,000!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Shortage of Second Hand Cars
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2021, 16:28:10 »

Some of you may know this already, but apparently their is a severe shortage of second hand cars at main dealers.

Whilst speaking today to an old friend who has worked in the main dealer business for decades, he says he has never seen anything like it.  His dealer and the others, like Vauxhall that he used to work for, just cannot find the stock.  Many people are now just doing what many on here are doing; keeping their old cars running for years longer. No one can afford the electric of hybrid cars, and as he says the likes of Ford have stopped supplying new petrol engined version of their models, thus increasing the desire of many to keep their old models.

Perhaps this is old news, and helps to explain the rocketing prices of second hand cars, but come 2030 what will we poor old sods being doing? Maybe my "classic" Omega will be worth £5,000!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

I don't think it will be long before the really good ones will be fetching that
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2021, 16:47:52 »

My view is that there is going to be a lot of older (pre 2005 petrol, pre 2010 diesel) cars in the London area coming onto the market starting in October, when the ULEZ change comes in and people realise it's going to bite them. I suspect that's also what is driving the current surge in people buying 2010-2015 second hand cars in that area too. Apparantly 3.8 million live inside the expanded ULEZ, and they aren't going to want to pay £12.50 a day to drive a non ULEZ car.

There are also rumours Sadiq wants to extend the ULEZ to the M25. If that happens, 12.5 million people live within that zone - one fifth of the countries population.

So there could be some buying opportunities for buyers of future classic cars. Not convinced the Omega falls into the future classic bracket myself, but who knows.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2021, 16:59:39 »

Diesel till I die

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 August 2021, 20:35:15 »

There's a shortage of trade in stock because there's a shortage of new cars to be bought due to lack of microchips etc.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 August 2021, 20:43:23 »

Exactly Baza ;)

The lack of new production is driving the nearly new market through the roof. Everything else is along for the ride.

Anyone who bought a new car last year is quids in. Normally they would be about 30% down. Currently they would break even at worst.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 19 queries.