Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Senator/Beemer 840  (Read 3924 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Senator/Beemer 840
« on: 22 January 2007, 11:24:20 »

Quite how a chipped senator will do 170 MPH is beyond me. I have no doubt you could do some engine mods to get the power required, but I've never heard of a chip for a normally aspirated engine that can produce anywhere near the power hike required to get one up to 170 MPH. Vauxhall's figures for the 24V Senator are 204 BHP, top speed of 146 MPH with 0-62 in 8.8 secs (149 MPH and 7.8 secs for the manual version). I don't know what they done to that cop version to get it up to 160+ but it was more than just a chip! You really need a substantial power hike to get an increase in top speed of over 20 MPH, the Lotus Carlton (which probably had similar, possibly slightly better, aerodynamics) had an official top speed of 176 MPH, and that's with 370 BHP!

BTW Having a boot full of gear will have little effect on the top speed as weight doesn't really affect it, just aerodynamic drag. What the weight does affect is how long it takes you to get there.

http://www.autobahnstormers.co.uk/eligible_cars/senator_b/sen_b_cd_tech.asp
http://www.autobahnstormers.co.uk/eligible_cars/carlton/lotus_tech.asp

PS Apologies to John, we have totally hijacked this thread!  :-[
« Last Edit: 22 January 2007, 11:59:39 by TheBoy »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: My Third Omega......
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2007, 11:31:00 »

Yeah sorry john, its a cracking Megga  :y

I have spoken to quite a few people who got a Senator past 165, but they did have manuals, de-cat & chipped.

The official figures from Vauxhall are a lot like the BMW, very understated. on the Autobahn stomers for sale section, there was a mint Senator which had been on a rolling road.

It was factory standard: -  "car is completely standard and un-modified, it produced 234.5 BHP, and 193 lb/ft  Torque"

Link is here: http://www.autobahnstormers.co.uk/adverts/senator_b_for_sale.asp

Its the top Senator...

So its already at 234bhp without any mods!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Senator/Beemer 840
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2007, 12:05:42 »

I have to agree with Paul M (for once ;)) - a Senator is going to need a lot of work to be a match for an 840Ci.  As much as I believe BMW's are hugely overrated (and unreliable - I have access to warrnty stats), the 840 is a quick motor.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2007, 12:06:16 »

A very good one maybe....
Grumpy old man

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2007, 13:04:12 »

There're lot's of things you can do to the C30SE to squeeze some extra horses out of it. I got 230 out of mine without trying too hard and it wasn't even running properly at the time!! Someone else in ABS has a C30SE with 245 BHP.

Also I know that top speed has a lot to do with drag, the amount of which rises exponentially the faster you go, but there are many people that will testify to having had a 24v Senator over 160. The Lotus' top speed was dramatically underrated! While I doubt it would crack 200 MPH, they have been known to go faster than the 'book' speed.
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2007, 13:08:13 »

A very good one maybe....

I'm impressed. That was done at the same place I had my car measured. 234 is astonishing for a bog standard car. I find it very difficult to believe that it's had nothing done to it although I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2007, 13:09:28 »

Can only speak of the Vauxhall, really.  No experience of the 840 series, but I do know that the 530's of the early 1990's were good for almost 150 in 'working' trim.

The 24v Senny can and did top 160 mph.  164 on the M9 Stirling to Edinburgh road, circa 1990, 500 revs or so short of redline in 5th.  Car was a Police College driving school car, uprated suspension, gearing, brakes and chipped, supplied like that from Vauxhall.  It had a calibrated speedo, so happy to dial out the standard 10% speedo error/boast present in standard cars.

There was no lightbar on the roof, boot was empty of kit, other than jackets and hats.  Car was 4 up and we were all were big guys.  Took a fair wee bit of clear motorway to get up to that speed though.

Yes, they can move but only if additional work is done and on a long enough road.

HtH

B

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2007, 13:11:23 »

And the Polis would have you believe they drive bog standard cars too!!!  ::)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2007, 13:13:00 »

And the Polis would have you believe they drive bog standard cars too!!!  ::)

:-X

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2007, 13:16:51 »

It would not be difficult to get 230-250bhp out of a C30SE or for that matter, an X30XE.
The figures quoted are usually conservative, and there can be big differences between engines, often based on the way it has been serviced.

An example would be Marks old Police spec Omega.
Once the heads were redone, plus various other bits of maintenance, the car was the smoothest and fastest Omega I have ever been in!
It was most certainly producing a heck of a lot more than the quoted 207bhp/199lb/ft!

However, the theoretical top end figure should be easily enough calculated based on the gearing and adding in an equation to calculate drag figures (Mark will doubtless know the very equation!)

Many people will attest to doing 160mph + on a test track in a Senator, but there is the matter of how accurate the speedo is, the rolling radius of the tyres etc.

Make no mistake, the Senator was a car very much ahead of its time and the engine is still a beauty.
The Administrator.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2007, 13:28:00 »

Yeah sorry john, its a cracking Megga  :y

I have spoken to quite a few people who got a Senator past 165, but they did have manuals, de-cat & chipped.

The official figures from Vauxhall are a lot like the BMW, very understated. on the Autobahn stomers for sale section, there was a mint Senator which had been on a rolling road.

It was factory standard: -  "car is completely standard and un-modified, it produced 234.5 BHP, and 193 lb/ft  Torque"

Link is here: http://www.autobahnstormers.co.uk/adverts/senator_b_for_sale.asp

Its the top Senator...

Chassis rolling roads are a pretty questionable way to get engine BHP, the figure they measure will be far short of that due to transmission loss (through the gearbox, diff, contact patch on the road wheels), then they extrapolate back to estimate the flywheel BHP. Not particularly accurate, and even worse on an automatic when you can't keep it in one gear for the entire run, plus the torque converter further screws up the measurements. I remember on the Subaru forums where loads of members had their car rolling roaded on a regular basis, it was common to have a difference of 20 BHP or more on exactly the same car but two different dynos - and that was with manual gearboxes. So take the figures with a pinch of salt - for making comparisons before and after mods on the same car they're great, but if comparing against other cars it needs to be done on the same dyno with the same conditions. You may well find that a standard Omega MV6 manual will also produce 230+ BHP on that dyno, but it doesn't necessarily mean the engine is producing 20 BHP over stock figures. What also concerns me is that the torque figure is pretty low for an engine producing 234 BHP, it'd be interesting to see the printout cos that means the engine is producing no more torque than stock, but is doint it higher up the rev range than stock.

And even at 234 BHP, you're still far short of the required power. A decat and chip isn't going to get you 70 BHP on a normally aspirated engine. Getting 300 BHP from a 3 litre is no mean feat - that's 100 BHP/litre, which is a very high specific output for a NA engine, and requires that the engine is carefully designed to ensure maximum flow at high revs (manifold design, heads, high lift cams etc). The Honda Civic Type-R engine only just manages 100 BHP/litre, and it does so by revving to 8,000 RPM along with the VTEC system giving variable valve duration and lift. The intakes and exhaust manifold will have been designed by the manufacturer to allow maximum flow at high revs - this is one area that would strangle the Omega engine, and most likely the Senator too, as the exhaust manifold simply wasn't designed to be high flowing for peaky power.

Don't get me wrong, the 840Ci is no flying machine; there are plenty of cars that will obliterate it off the line (although none of them are Omegas, unless you count the Lotus engined one ;) ). But where it does well is top speed, as it has the two things that you need: power and aerodynamics. There's no changing the fact that unless you have a really aerodynamic car, you need lots of power to obtain high speeds, and it's diminishing returns - as speeds increase, you need more power for less gain. Hence why the 850CSi, which has the same low aerodynamic drag as the 840Ci but 380 BHP, will do around 184 MPH. That's an increase of 65 BHP to get only 11 MPH. To get the next 16 MPH for the 200MPH that the new M5 does required another 127 BHP (although it does have slightly poorer aerodynamics).

One final point... the guys getting Senators past 165 MPH, did they measure that using GPS or radar? Cos if it's the speedo, it's guaranteed to be well out at those speeds, especially on such an old car. I'm sure my manual MV6 could hit the limit on the speedo (160 MPH), but I have serious doubts as to its potential to reach those speeds. The numbers just don't add up, and you can't override the laws of physics.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2007, 14:11:46 »

.......It had a calibrated speedo, so happy to dial out the standard 10% speedo error/boast present in standard cars.....

Paul, I agree with what you have said as regards capabilities but I would, however, debate a little as regards the speedo.

If you re-read my quote above, you will see it was acheived on a car with a calibrated speedo.  

As you say 'Ye canny change the laws o' physics, Captin' but just because the cars are old, does not infer that the means and method to ensure that a speedo is accurately calibrated to less than 1% error across the full working range in 1990 (when it was less than a year old, remember) should be any different now, all other things being equal such as tyre size, rolling radius etc.

IRS of Nottingham have been doing this for a while now - 50 years is quoted on their website - clicky here  
« Last Edit: 22 January 2007, 14:26:22 by hotel21 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2007, 14:27:36 »

With regards to speedo accurate, the Senator is just as accurate as my 2000 X plate Omega.

Driving back from picking it up, i had my Sat Nav on. The GPS recorded a speed of 65mph... Digi Dash said 70!

Usual 10% add on ....

Come to think of it those BMW 840's must be rare now, not seen one in years!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2007, 15:12:20 »

Can only speak of the Vauxhall, really.  No experience of the 840 series, but I do know that the 530's of the early 1990's were good for almost 150 in 'working' trim.

The 24v Senny can and did top 160 mph.  164 on the M9 Stirling to Edinburgh road, circa 1990, 500 revs or so short of redline in 5th.  Car was a Police College driving school car, uprated suspension, gearing, brakes and chipped, supplied like that from Vauxhall.  It had a calibrated speedo, so happy to dial out the standard 10% speedo error/boast present in standard cars.

There was no lightbar on the roof, boot was empty of kit, other than jackets and hats.  Car was 4 up and we were all were big guys.  Took a fair wee bit of clear motorway to get up to that speed though.

Yes, they can move but only if additional work is done and on a long enough road.

HtH

B

Dad was telling me of a similar ( same?? Senny) in Strathclyde.

Unmarked and he personally had 165mph out it and it was chipped.

Then, one night shift, it got driven through a roundabout, not round it, damaged, dechipped and  decomissioned.

And no he wasnt the driver at the time of crash  ;)
« Last Edit: 22 January 2007, 15:14:14 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2007, 15:42:59 »

Come to think of it those BMW 840's must be rare now, not seen one in years!
Frequently follow one out of Bletchley on way home from work in summer.  Never see it in bad weather though...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.