Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Might be of imterest JLR independant garage  (Read 2593 times)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
Might be of imterest JLR independant garage
« on: 27 February 2024, 01:53:41 »

Seems to be suggesting the JLR Ingenium engine isn`t reliable  ::)

video runs thru some common problems & at the end sums up with his opinion on petrol versus diesel Evoque

https://youtu.be/qsbvIBKwUPk?si=ZbuHwL005Ecw0XHv&t=1370

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Might be of imterest JLR independant garage
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2024, 07:58:01 »

CBA to look at vid, but there is an awful lot of BS about the Ingenium 4 pot.

Yes, like any modern EU6 diesel, there are a bucket load of emissions crap bolted to it, to appease the misinformed tree huggers, such as DPFs, SEC, EGR(s), electronically controlled flows on the water pump, stop/start blah blah blah

The Achilles heel with the soot chucker is stated as being the chains.  I'd counter argue that, and say the achilles heel is stupid service intervals of (in the UK market) 21,000 miles.  Nobody makes an oil that hasn't significantly broken down enough to lose its properties beyond 7k, and on diesels you have the added fun of diesel particulates (which makes the oil go black so quickly).  Given virtually all diesels are turbocharged, and turbos need good oil, any owner would be a bit soften in the head to let the oil run for that long for feel of shagging the turbo.

Given that this engine is also chain driven, all those particulates, which is like microscopic grit, aren't going to do chains any favours either.  As with any chain driven engine (and elastic band driven engines that use wet belts, like Ford), long service intervals are a sure way to increase wear.

Now there are some idiotic designs on it, like the chains being fitted at the back of the engine, which is a brilliant idea if you need to replace the chains regularly due to the marketeers winning the service interval battle. NOT.

There are also some designs on it that confuddle the usual "mechanics", like active engine mounts, and positive crankcase pressure.

Like any new engine, its been revised to overcome its issues.  I think the biggest is a revised chain/tensioner setup that became standard from around 2018ish? (sure DTM can confirm exactly when), and this is the setup you want to swap over to if ever you do need to replace the chains or tensioners.

As an owner of a very early, 130k example that looks to have been serviced by independent garages but to JLR intervals, I think its not a bad engine.  Mostly easy to work on (chains aside!), very drivable, and stupidly economical - even I'm knocking on the door of 70mpg when I drive it into the office in Brumingham.

Back to Youtube. Most "creators" on Youtube are just saying stuff to try to make their videos get viewed.  Controversy is always a good way, particularly if you can get forums or social media to make it go viral.  Its all money for the "creators".  I can guarantee you they have turned on monetisation on the channel ;).  And everyone loves to hate JLR, as can be seen from millions of Range Rover insurance youtube videos.  And don't even get me started on the wankstain Geoff Buys Cars - I can only assume his father abused him as a child...
« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 07:59:44 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2024, 08:01:17 »

As an owner of a very early, 130k example that looks to have been serviced by independent garages but to JLR intervals
I should add, its on its original chains as well.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2024, 08:05:30 »

Loads of info on this on LR forums some love them & some hate them, " you pays your money & take your choice" and then pray luck is on your side..
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2024, 08:09:27 »

Loads of info on this on LR forums some love them & some hate them, " you pays your money & take your choice" and then pray luck is on your side..
Plenty on all the Jaguar forums as well, with all sorts of rash comments like guarantees it won't last 80k miles.  Mind you, my car is the V6 diesel, and I'm apparently guaranteed a snapped crank before 100k....    ....so I assumed it must have snapped about 60k ago, and I've not noticed ;D
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2024, 09:17:32 »

Plenty on all the Jaguar forums as well, with all sorts of rash comments like guarantees it won't last 80k miles.  Mind you, my car is the V6 diesel, and I'm apparently guaranteed a snapped crank before 100k....    ....so I assumed it must have snapped about 60k ago, and I've not noticed ;D
That might explain why it's always broken ;D

Personally, I would never buy an engine with rear mounted chains as that such a retarded design. Fortunately, I am unlikely to ever buy a JLR or VAG product, it's unlikely to be much of an issue >:D.

I know Mercedes engines have their issues, but at least the parts that have the majority of the problems are accessible.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2024, 10:15:05 »

Personally, I would never buy an engine with rear mounted chains as that such a retarded design. Fortunately, I am unlikely to ever buy a JLR or VAG product, it's unlikely to be much of an issue >:D.

I know Mercedes engines have their issues, but at least the parts that have the majority of the problems are accessible.

That rules you out of certain Merc and BMW engines also then  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2024, 10:32:33 »

That rules you out of certain Merc and BMW engines also then  ;D
Probably. But as those are likely to be the newer cross brand offerings, they're unlikely to be fitted to anything of interest.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2024, 10:42:51 »

And we still hear that Germans don't have a sense of humour. Who else would consider putting an inadequate chain, running on shitty plastic guides, poorly fed with dirty oil, at the back of the engine a good idea?

Unfortunately, every other engineer who can't resist complications has decided to join in the fun.

I dropped several BMWs with timing chain issues at the dealer just around the corner from that independent, and the yardman tried to keep a space in the car park for them. That space was under the sign with the then current slogan  BMW, the value of perfect engineering. It's difficult to see the value in common, severe failures on engines with <10,000 miles. As for Mercedes, that was the dealer we all went to the most.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 10:50:21 by Nick W »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2024, 11:12:55 »

Don't forget BMW, they were also represented on the committee of window-lickers that decided the timing chain should be installed next to the driver's knees.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2024, 11:43:47 »

You don't have to go upmarket to get chain driven diesels, with the chain mounted at the rear of the engine, my Astra is the same. Each engine has its own problems. The Astra 1.6 diesel 'whisper' engine rattles like a bastard just after startup, due to the bottom(plastic) timing chain guide having disintegrated, causing the chain to run metal on metal until the hydraulic tensioner takes up the slack. A repair is an engine out job.

Later Vauxhalls also have a wet belt which can disintegrate very quickly so, again, the problem is everywhere, not just on certain engines.

https://www.grandlandforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1063
« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 11:46:53 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2024, 12:11:01 »

Don't forget BMW, they were also represented on the committee of window-lickers that decided the timing chain should be installed next to the driver's knees.
Not really on my list either as anything of interest is likely to be Omega aged  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2024, 12:27:43 »

Later Vauxhalls also have a wet belt which can disintegrate very quickly so, again, the problem is everywhere, not just on certain engines.

https://www.grandlandforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1063

I hadn't heard about the idea of wet belts until reading this thread, not really sure why you'd want one - maybe someone who knows could explain? Also, I know its a one-off but I'd be pi$$ed off if  my 2018 car lunched itself after only 40k miles. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2024, 12:59:12 »

Presumably a similar notion to a wet clutch, although the idea of soaking a rubber band, synthetic or otherwise, in engine oil does seem to be asking for premature failure... :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2024, 16:18:54 »

Presumably a similar notion to a wet clutch, although the idea of soaking a rubber band, synthetic or otherwise, in engine oil does seem to be asking for premature failure... :-\
And even if the belt survives, the debris off the belt will block all oilways around the rest of the engine...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.