Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Speakers  (Read 2002 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Audio Speakers
« on: 22 February 2022, 14:19:39 »

One for the Audio buffs amongst us .
Background .
Neighbours dog barking persistently and uncontrolled .

I have a 30 watt amp that I can feed a 20Khz tone generator into . I purchased a couple of 25 watt  40Khz piezo tweeters to use with it but I get no sound from them. When I connect a conventional magnetic 4ohm speaker to the amp it gives me the sound and volume that I seek .
Will a 30 watt, 20Khz, 4 ohm speaker run continuously with a sine wave tone at 20Khz /20 to 25 watt ?
https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/
I really want to make it's ears bleed .

Volume is my problem on the two systems that I currently run . I have a 40Khz system that is closer to a dogs hearing range but the 20 Khz certainly does irritate it .

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Audio Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2022, 16:08:04 »

Unless you've got exceptional hearing, no way can you hear 20KHz - so how can you be sure the piezo tweeters aren't giving out any sound?

The sound you are hearing from the magnetic speakers is probably distortion at some sub harmonic of 20KHz.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2022, 19:36:33 »

Don't buy speakers, buy a shotgun. :D

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2022, 19:46:10 »

Thanks for the reply .
Apologies I should have taken time to elaborate a bit more but I wanted to keep it short .

The 40 Khz generator I use is variable across a range of 8 - 40 Khz so when turned down to 8Khz it is audible to the human ear . Above 10 Khz is inaudible except to the young and "less ordinary " . ::)
https://www.aaaa-electronic.de/products.php?Ultrasonic-Generator-M048N-Kemo

The generator  is capable of driving up to 5 piezo speakers .
Driving the output from the above through the 10A amp and connecting the latest 40Khz piezo's in parrallel It seems to give me the " wall of sound " that I'm seeking if not the volume and by applying some tubing to the piezo's I'll get the "speaker cannon " effect . 
I've did some more tests on the 4ohm magnetic speakers and would agree with you that the sound is more harmonics than true sine wave sound .
I don't think the coil would last any length of time on them.
I'm awaiting some replies from speaker suppliers re suitable items .

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2022, 19:59:13 »

Why is the dog constantly barking?

I suspect that the issue is with the people rather than the dog ???

If our Tibetan Terrorist is anything to go by, she goes garity at the milkman. Not the one at 2am in a diesel Transit, but the one at 4.30pm in the traditional milk float. Go figure  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2022, 20:03:33 »

Yes, you're planning on punishing the dog when it's the owners who need talking to. But, I'm guessing, things are somewhat different in rural Ireland.
If the sound is inaudible to humans, the dogs owners won't even know what you're up to, or is that part of the plan?
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2022, 20:05:44 »

And may affect your cats just as much :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2022, 20:09:41 »

Don't buy speakers, buy a shotgun. :D

I wish Ronny ...
Unless you have been subjected to persistent dog barking from 8am to 11pm by a dog that is turned out in all weathers and never shown affection or company then I suppose it's difficult to understand the problem.
TBF it's not the dogs fault but the owners who are unwilling or incapable of training it . I suspect it more the former .If they would restrict it to the other side of their land then there would be no problem.
I'll also go down the official route and am in process of applying to our local court for a hearing in front of the Magistrate ,my lawyer will present that case .

Then I'll make their life a misery .

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2022, 20:10:23 »

Yes, you're planning on punishing the dog when it's the owners who need talking to. But, I'm guessing, things are somewhat different in rural Ireland.
If the sound is inaudible to humans, the dogs owners won't even know what you're up to, or is that part of the plan?

I don't care Steve , I'm breaking no law .

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2022, 20:11:15 »

I'd say Don is planning on training the dog rather than punishing it.  :y

It'll soon get the message that when it barks it'll get an irritating noise, and as to talking to the neighbours... Well maybe they have a shotgun!  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2022, 20:18:24 »

And may affect your cats just as much :-\

Good point DG .
We have three cats that roam outside . I've watched them closely and none avoid that area or show signs of distress when walking up to and past it in the four months since I installed the systems .
The piezo speaker used is a directional one and elevated to about 1.5 M directed away from us and on the fence line .
https://www.aaaa-electronic.de/products.php?KEMO-L001-Piezo-spherical-dome-tweeter-with-flare&cPath=33

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2022, 20:22:26 »

I'd say Don is planning on training the dog rather than punishing it.  :y

It'll soon get the message that when it barks it'll get an irritating noise, and as to talking to the neighbours... Well maybe they have a shotgun!  :D

Correct Sir T.
The ultrasonic sound barrier is only switched on when the dog barks and then when quiet switched off, i'd say it's on for 5 minutes max at a time .I  have a Bluetooth receiver on the amp so control it's operation from my 'phone .
Consider it like a long dog whistle .

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2022, 20:29:19 »

I sympathise, Don, the situation must be maddening. Good luck.
Diesel till I die

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2022, 20:32:00 »

Why is the dog constantly barking?

I suspect that the issue is with the people rather than the dog ???

If our Tibetan Terrorist is anything to go by, she goes garity at the milkman. Not the one at 2am in a diesel Transit, but the one at 4.30pm in the traditional milk float. Go figure  ::)

I'm no dog expert but my wife has owned and trained them in the past . The collie is left unattended all day so it's logical to believe that it is in effect guarding it's territory from all that comes close to it . It seems to be an unloved dog that was taken in as a rescue animal but not treated as a pet as we know it . The approach to pet ownership in Ireland differs considerably from UK as we have witnessed many times in the past .
We have never threatened , shouted at or abused the dog but the fact that it growls and bares it's teeth at me when it sees me at the fence is enough to persuade me that it doesn't really want to be my buddy ..

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2022, 20:37:47 »

I sympathise, Don, the situation must be maddening. Good luck.

More annoying to my wife now that she is retired and at home  Steve .
I'll solve it .
Thanks . :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.