Chat Area > General Car Chat

Shagged battery or another cause?

(1/6) > >>

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:
Bosch 74 A/H battery that has been with the car since I bought it.....July 2015.

Been struggling lately and the battery will go flat in 2-4 days.

Checked this morning with meter showing 12.1-12.3 volts without the engine running. Car then fails to start ( just clicking )

NOCO GB40 gets her going again without a problem.

I'm thinking that with the battery at least 7.5 years (possibly much older) old, I should buy a new battery first.

Is it likely to be anything else?.....alternator?....voltage regulator?....Brexit?...Aliens? ;)

Andy B:
New battery ...  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:

--- Quote from: Andy B on 13 January 2023, 15:02:01 ---New battery ...  :y

--- End quote ---

My view also, Mr Beanz.

I'm told a decent battery should hold about 12.7 Volts without the engine running.

YZ250:
If you can clip the meter on it so that you can see it as you turn ignition over you’ll probably find that it drops to around 8 Volts under load. Likewise, if you get it running you should see over 14 Volts to check alternator output. It’s done quite well so new battery time.  :y  You could always use Kevin’s battery charging/checking guide for peace of mind.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti:

--- Quote from: YZ250 on 13 January 2023, 15:19:33 ---If you can clip the meter on it so that you can see it as you turn ignition over you’ll probably find that it drops to around 8 Volts under load. Likewise, if you get it running you should see over 14 Volts to check alternator output. It’s done quite well so new battery time.  :y  You could always use Kevin’s battery charging/checking guide for peace of mind.  :y

--- End quote ---

I'm getting around 14.5 Volts with the silky V6 running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version