Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: where can i get basic engine/mechanic knowledge???  (Read 2952 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
where can i get basic engine/mechanic knowledge???
« on: 25 September 2010, 18:37:13 »

hi guys,

i read your posts and wonder how you guys know all this info on your engines? i know nothing apart from how to check/top up oil, coolant and screen wash hhahaha ;)

i am so rubbish. how do i get sum basic knowledge so i can do basic repairs/checks???? :):):)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
Re: where can i get basic engine/mechanic knowledge???
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2010, 18:38:39 »

Have a read through the how too guides and ask questions :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Mysteryman

« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2010, 18:39:41 »

hi guys,

i read your posts and wonder how you guys know all this info on your engines? i know nothing apart from how to check/top up oil, coolant and screen wash hhahaha ;)

i am so rubbish. how do i get sum basic knowledge so i can do basic repairs/checks???? :):):)

Take your car to bits and then try to put it back together again :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2010, 18:45:05 »

You go to evening classes in car mechanics if available, then have an old car that you can dismantle and reassemble 8-) 8-)

That's how I did it at 17, after also going out with a boyfriend at 12 who helped his engineer father take his old car engines apart, with me watching!! :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2010, 18:47:09 »

You go to evening classes in car mechanics if available, then have an old car that you can dismantle and reassemble 8-) 8-)

That's how I did it at 17, after also going out with a boyfriend at 12 who helped his engineer father take his old car engines apart, with me watching!! :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Lizzie.....really.... ::) :-* :-* :-*

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2010, 18:51:43 »

Lizzie.....really.... ::) :-* :-* :-*

Well, he did live next door so all was ok! :D :D :D :D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2010, 19:04:34 »

Only a suggestion but you could drive over here in your Omega. Have a holiday.

Actually it wouldn't be a holiday as you would be busy fixing the faults that a 1000 mile journey had created on your car, helping me fix things on my Omega(while I sipped ice cold beer shouting instructions).

Also you could help the endless stream of Spaniards calling in asking for help with their cars, tractors etc Yesterday I was asked to weld some rollers. Can you weld? You soon will and also swear in Spanish. ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 25 September 2010, 19:05:24 by olive »
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2010, 19:26:20 »

know how you feel Webby as Im pretty clueless myself! Theres lots of basic and general info about car mechanics on the web but the practical is often different from the theory! Like anything else its hands-on practical experience that counts. The guys/girls on here are always most knowledgeable and helpful and through them Ive attempted some easy jobs myself.Sure its taken me probably 20 times as long as it wouldve done than them but I did get a sense of satisfaction from doing things myself and your confidence grows with each thing you do -as well as saving yourself some money along the way! The other factor of course is having the time, the place and-more importantly-the tools to do such jobs. As a kid my best mates dad used to work for BSA and I used to help him strip down and re-assemble bike engines. No idea of what I was really doing of course but I enjoyed it. Over the years my mechanic neighbour helped fix the cars weve had and I always helped out there too but ,apart from the confidence factor, I simply dont have the time/place/tools to do more. But if you really want to learn more then most colleges will do a suitable course Im sure, though fitting it around work might be a problem.Good luck :y

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2010, 19:32:32 »

hi guys,

actually agree with you on this one steve. :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

mantagte

• Omega Knight
  • great yarmouth
    • omega bmw maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2010, 19:49:21 »

evening class at your local college (most colleges have this)
start with the basic course last i think 8 weeks
then if you want to learn more there is also an advanced course

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2010, 19:55:47 »

hi guys,

actually agree with you on this one steve. :y

Many a true word spoken in jest! :D
Keep your miggy long enough & you'll be a fully fledged spanner strangler for sure  ;D ;D ;)
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2010, 20:11:46 »

Quite honestly, "basic car mechanics" won't help you at all when it comes to something like an Omega V6.  Or, for that matter, any car made in in the last 20 years. 

I used to do all my maintenance and repairs 40 years ago.  Now, when I lift up the bonnet, I can't even name most of the parts I'm looking at.  A couple of years back, when the car just stopped and I had to call the AA, the bloke who came along said that if it wasn't something obvious, he didn't stand a chance of identifying the problem, and even if he could identify it, he probably wouldn't be able to fix it. 

So much of the modern car depends on electronics that it just isn't possible for the ordinary man in the street to do very much as he doesn't have access to £30,000 worth of diagnostic equipment. 

The wizards you encounter on OOF are exceptions, and it will take many years of dedicated toil to achieve their level of expertise. 

However, there is a price to pay for this!  I won't go into details, as I wish to remain a member of the forum.  :) :) :)
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2010, 20:15:50 »

Only a suggestion but you could drive over here in your Omega. Have a holiday.

Actually it wouldn't be a holiday as you would be busy fixing the faults that a 1000 mile journey had created on your car, helping me fix things on my Omega(while I sipped ice cold beer shouting instructions).

Also you could help the endless stream of Spaniards calling in asking for help with their cars, tractors etc Yesterday I was asked to weld some rollers. Can you weld? You soon will and also swear in Spanish. ;D ;D ;D ;D

lol i get the same thing!! lost count of how many tractor pieces i have welded up!! was actually doing another one today, in between removeing and intercooler from a cdi merc, and repairing a td merc from the year 92 where the brake pads had fallen out and he hit a tree with the front end!! oh and getting a tractor off the campo on a very steep slope cos the bloke didnt know how to use the fiddle brakes to steer it and had got it stuck!! and that tractor is a 1963 renault fitted with a perkins diesel from god knows what!!! :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2010, 20:23:09 »

as to learning car mechanics, yes you could go to evening classes as suggested by some, but if money is tight or time is tight then do it the easyway, by a very cheap non moted or taxed small car of whichever model you can find it dont matter who makes it, place it on your driveway read up about the particular model on the interweb, begin by identifying the parts, then slowly remove various different systems and put them back together when you have worked out how they work, start with easy stuff such as wheel removal or disc pad replacement, then to other parts be prepared to get dirty, arm yourself with enough tools to do the particular job you want to learn about,take it slpw and after around six weeks you will begin to know what people are talking about, if you have mates that are in to cars and have a project then go and hang out wth them assisting where you can, you will soon pick it up,
and dont listen to people who say they know all about cars!!been a mechanic(not a fitter) for over 30years and still learn things everyday!!! :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2010, 20:23:52 »

Quite honestly, "basic car mechanics" won't help you at all when it comes to something like an Omega V6.  Or, for that matter, any car made in in the last 20 years. 

I used to do all my maintenance and repairs 40 years ago.  Now, when I lift up the bonnet, I can't even name most of the parts I'm looking at.  A couple of years back, when the car just stopped and I had to call the AA, the bloke who came along said that if it wasn't something obvious, he didn't stand a chance of identifying the problem, and even if he could identify it, he probably wouldn't be able to fix it. 

So much of the modern car depends on electronics that it just isn't possible for the ordinary man in the street to do very much as he doesn't have access to £30,000 worth of diagnostic equipment. 

The wizards you encounter on OOF are exceptions, and it will take many years of dedicated toil to achieve their level of expertise. 

However, there is a price to pay for this!  I won't go into details, as I wish to remain a member of the forum.  :) :) :)

I used to think the same J, and had "stopped" doing any work on cars from the time I got the Granada Scorpio, in the same belief as you. That continued through to the old omega - the blue one - which developed a problem that the "dealers" said was extremely rare and would cost over £1000 to fix, "and to the complexity of the electronics this might not be the full solution". At the time I did not have £1000 to chuck at a "possible" fix, so in desperation I started to search on t'web. I found here with an exact description of the fault and the fix, and the information that it was relatively common knowledge - ABS ECU. Armed with that knowledge, and some help from forum members, the ECU was removed, sent for repair, and replaced, in less than a week, for less than £150. Since that point neither car has been to a garage except for WIM - geometry - and MOT's. I have learned, and been instructed, by forum members all the way through, or folks like Elite Pete, Daz, or Chris Gixer have done the work for me, the first time, but have taught me how to do the job should it need repeating.

I accept there are some jobs I'll probably never attempt, but I can now do one hell of a lot more than I could, and I can certainly do all the "routine" stuff without hesitation, and I'm more confident in attempting other work, knowing there is a wealth of support at the end of the phone line .. either by calling or by broadband !!  :)

There are 2 major advantages to that ..

1 . Cost

2.  I know the job has been done properly.

Just my views .. nowt else .. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 18 queries.