Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Junior Doctors strike , bit of a result for me !  (Read 2975 times)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Junior Doctors strike , bit of a result for me !
« on: 12 April 2023, 21:46:17 »

Managed to take a tumble and dislocate my little finger ( don't laugh , it hurt more than it sounds ) hearing all the horror stories about chaos etc in the Hospitals I went to my local walk in centre , I managed to be seen eventually , nice nurse prodded and looked concerned and got me X rayed  , diagnosis was dislocation ,not to my Suprise I must admit , "we don't reset them here , you'll have to go to the big hospital  ( RVI Newcastle ) we'll let them know you're coming so you should be seen pretty quick " that didn't fill me with confidence , but low and behold , turned up and sat for a few minutes and my name was called , a very professional gentleman introduced himself as the Consultant plastic surgeon no less , gave me a couple of injections in my finger to numb it , manipulated the finger back into position with a satisfying click , got me X rayed just to make sure it was OK ,even made a follow up appointment just to make sure it's all good , fantastic service from the Hospital   :)     

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: Junior Doctors strike , bit of a result for me !
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2023, 23:30:52 »

"plastic surgeon"? I'm puzzled , i would expect an orthopaedic surgeon. But in reality, most competent doctors of any speciality should be able to deal with that.
But hey, good result  :y
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2023, 00:17:25 »

Sack the lot of them, and offer them new contracts to come back. Ban the BMA as its been taken over by Corbynite Marxists.
People who receive their salary from the taxpayer arent employees. They are public servants and shouldnt have the option of going on strike.
If they want the right to strike they should try their luck in the private sector.
Bigger picture. The NHS (now the GHS) has been an impossibly expensive experiment that hasnt worked.
Time to scrap it and start again from scratch.
Its not about money. Gormless McRuin doubled its budget and made it worse in the process.

Hope your finger gets better soon Redelite.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2023, 06:59:35 »

Good result.

Maybe as long ago as 58 years ago, I dislocated a finger catching a sky high cricket ball at school. I was taken to Scarborough hospital next door and attended to immediately as you were in those days. No xray, no pain killer just a quick manipulation from its 90degreeoutwards location and job was done. It did hurt. I got back just in time to get changed and get on the school bus. If it had been earlier, doubtless I would have been expected to be back in play. No long last ill effect either. It is just as arthritic as its neighbours!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2023, 07:04:00 »

Sack the lot of them, and offer them new contracts to come back. Ban the BMA as its been taken over by Corbynite Marxists.
People who receive their salary from the taxpayer arent employees. They are public servants and shouldnt have the option of going on strike.
If they want the right to strike they should try their luck in the private sector.
Bigger picture. The NHS (now the GHS) has been an impossibly expensive experiment that hasnt worked.
Time to scrap it and start again from scratch.
Its not about money. Gormless McRuin doubled its budget and made it worse in the process.

Hope your finger gets better soon Redelite.  ;D

There is an interesting article on Euronews website giving comparisons of pay for doctors various across Europe. Spanish doctors are taking action too as among other things the government keeps a pool of doctors without a contract ( a big thing here) .
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2023, 08:12:04 »

I always just pop it back myself (twice), if you do it before the swelling comes up its not oeverly painful  :y

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2023, 11:54:45 »

Had to go back this morning for a follow up , appointment was for 10.00 , got called in at 09.50 , another consultant gave it the once over , gave it the all clear ( apart from telling me that the ligaments are damaged  :( ) told to come back in 4 weeks , even managed to score for the 30 minutes free car parking ! the buggers should go on strike more often  :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2023, 16:03:57 »

Got no time for these Junior doctors , the clue is in their title Junior not Mr or Consultant, if they're not satisfied with the pay foxtrot oscar & do something else lazy good for nothing tossers. What seems not to be mentioned is that the average pay for them is £57,000 per annum with shift allowance unsocial hours  overtime etc.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2023, 17:25:11 »

..... the average pay for them is £57,000 per annum with shift allowance unsocial hours  overtime etc.

Is that £57k inclusive of OT & shift allowance or plus OT etc

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2023, 18:52:43 »

All inclusive SWMBO has a cousin whose son is a GP so all is discussed openly with us , it's the same in most public services I know Prison Officers earning £70,000 per annum  & Paramedics on £50,000 per annum all this cobblers about give us a living wage nonsense it's there for the taking I've been there & done it myself when I needed extra cash ,makes me sick listening to their lies. They're on a guaranteed wage + a good pension scheme & you can throw a sickie easily if needed. If they can afford to strike for 4 days unpaid how can they be short of cash?
« Last Edit: 13 April 2023, 18:54:40 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2023, 19:14:59 »

I would like to know where their claim of £14 per hour comes from ? I would bet its cobblers.
Dont we have any decent investigative journalists in this country now ?  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2023, 19:33:54 »

I would like to know where their claim of £14 per hour comes from ? I would bet its cobblers.

No , they all work for OOF. Did anyone read the Euronews article comparing wages across Europe?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2023, 20:01:14 »

Nope. They'll only investigate something if it puts the Tories in bad light, as they are all woke lefties these days.  ::)

For example.  Nick Brown, Labour's former Chief Whip was suspended back in September with no explanation and nobody's talking about it.  :-\

It must be something really bad and maybe there is some kind of injunction, as even the Mail, Telegraph and GBNews aren't asking questions.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2023, 20:39:41 »

Nope. They'll only investigate something if it puts the Tories in bad light, as they are all woke lefties these days.  ::)

For example.  Nick Brown, Labour's former Chief Whip was suspended back in September with no explanation and nobody's talking about it.  :-\

It must be something really bad and maybe there is some kind of injunction, as even the Mail, Telegraph and GBNews aren't asking questions.  ::)
Perhaps they're all worried about Mr Krankies  camper van.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2023, 22:03:37 »

While SWMBO is watching some shit programme on telly, i had a quick look at this junior drs. leader, Rob Laurenson. Seems he's a director in his fathers investment firm and like similar spoilt rich brats he's gone hard left in his politics. Also, while his colleagues are manning the picket lines he's pissed off on holiday for his mates wedding. So, while he is still getting his dr's. salary, the real strikers aren't. Not that he needs it anyway. Wonder if this strike is in any way political?  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2023, 13:14:27 »

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-junior-doctors-really-earn/?zephr_sso_ott=AlJk72

Doesn't sound all that attractive when they've accrued getting on for £100k in student debt to get there.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2023, 14:57:42 »

It's possible to do a medical degree without student loans :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2023, 15:03:24 »

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-junior-doctors-really-earn/?zephr_sso_ott=AlJk72

Doesn't sound all that attractive when they've accrued getting on for £100k in student debt to get there.
That is entirely their choice surely. Don't want student debt, don't go to uni. ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 April 2023, 15:10:12 »

That is entirely their choice surely. Don't want student debt, don't go to uni. ???
Not so, it is possible to get a degree without debt, but that's too complicated a thought process for potential students or universities to understand. Hence you cannot pay cash or by semester, but instead have to apply for courses through the Student Loan Company.

Which is borderline criminal.

This free to watch documentary explains why....

https://youtu.be/W7krdoXswQA

Yes it's American, but the problem is just as bad here because the loans here are also underwritten by the government.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2023, 15:22:46 »

That's really my point.

If you don't pay JDs enough to make it an attractive option relative to other career options, you won't get the number of people choosing that route. When you have Aldi starting their graduates (who only need do 3yrs rather than 5) on £50k (plus a company car), rising over or the first 8yrs of their career to £90k, having all the pressure and ar$e ache of being a Dr sounds like a bit of a bum deal by comparison. Same deal with accountants, lawyers etc. They get paid significantly more than Drs for doing arguably less pressurised work.

Personally I'd rather know that being a Junior Dr is paid well enough that we've got intelligent, motivated people treating us, rather than those not smart enough to be employed at Aldi. The government can always find a billion here or there per year when it suits them, this isn't about the money.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2023, 15:31:45 by Viral_Jim »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 April 2023, 15:55:20 »

The GHS budget is £153 billion p.a. and rising. Take their "well deserved" 36% pay rise out of that .
Ive seen enough of hospitals and those who work in them over the last 20 years to be convinced that much of that budget is throwing good money after bad.
A lot of these people qualify in the UK, then bugger off abroad to live in the sun and earn more money in a private health systems. The very thing they condemn while working in state healthcare in the UK.
Others plough on until they are 50 and then retire, because they can, due to the extremely generous pension system, courtesy of future taxpayers.
Far call sympathy for them here.  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2023, 17:55:31 »

Others plough on until they are 50 and then retire, because they can,  ....

Maybe used to be able to ...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 April 2023, 18:36:25 »

Doctors still can. Same goes for GP,s.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2023, 20:30:17 »

Only those currently 48 or older, for those younger than that it's 60, or 65. Ironically, older than those of us with regular private sector pensions, where it's state pension age minus 10yrs

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 April 2023, 21:32:38 »

Only those currently 48 or older, for those younger than that it's 60, or 65. Ironically, older than those of us with regular private sector pensions, where it's state pension age minus 10yrs

And... if you start drawing your pension earlier than the nominal retirement age (60 or 65) then there is a reduction - typically about 5% per year early. So if you can retire at 50, but the scheme age was 60, then expect a 50% reduction in your pension payments for the rest of your life.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 April 2023, 22:59:11 »

Yet they have still been retiring early because their pension posts are going past the £1 milion mark.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 April 2023, 23:16:06 »

And invested properly the interest/growth is more than enough to live off.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 April 2023, 09:14:58 »

Poor old pensioners  good luck to them , just hate all the lies about poor pay.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2023, 09:20:01 by Rangie »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 April 2023, 09:36:48 »

…….
And... if you start drawing your pension earlier than the nominal retirement age (60 or 65) then there is a reduction - typically about 5% per year early. So if you can retire at 50, but the scheme age was 60, then expect a 50% reduction in your pension payments for the rest of your life.

True to a certain extent but it also depends on the type of pension and company situation. I retired early at age 58 after 40 year’s service with the same company. I retired with company consent so I incurred NO penalties and received my full entitlement for my years of paying in. Without company consent (leaving of my own accord), 4.1% x 7 would have been deducted. Our pension scheme was very good and after I’d taken my 25% tax free lump sum my monthly income is only just short of my working income. It really was a no brainer for me. When I pop my clogs, my wife’s widow’s pension is still more than my wife actually earns for working.  :y
Just need to live long enough to enjoy it now.  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 15 April 2023, 09:59:37 »

…….

True to a certain extent but it also depends on the type of pension and company situation. I retired early at age 58 after 40 year’s service with the same company. I retired with company consent so I incurred NO penalties and received my full entitlement for my years of paying in. Without company consent (leaving of my own accord), 4.1% x 7 would have been deducted. Our pension scheme was very good and after I’d taken my 25% tax free lump sum my monthly income is only just short of my working income. It really was a no brainer for me. When I pop my clogs, my wife’s widow’s pension is still more than my wife actually earns for working.  :y
Just need to live long enough to enjoy it now.  :)

That's excellent the best advice I was ever given by one of my uncles when I was about 16 was make sure any job you decide to do make sure that it has a good pension scheme.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 April 2023, 10:26:29 »

The strange thing for me was that when i left my penultimate job, (didn't transfer it), it performed far better when it was dormant that when i was paying in to it, also with AVC's.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 April 2023, 11:05:55 »

Teachers can retire at 55 through ill health and with the agreement of their employer. 'I'll health' can mean almost anything and it's an easy way to part company if both parties have had enough of each other.
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 April 2023, 11:30:21 »

Teachers can retire at 55 through ill health and with the agreement of their employer. 'I'll health' can mean almost anything and it's an easy way to part company if both parties have had enough of each other.

Exactly what my missus did she was head of the science department, after making cuts to her budget including staff reductions, eventually she came home in tears I told her to phone in sick & never go back & for once she listened to me ,took her lump sum & pension and now we enjoy every day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.