Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Got my Winter Tyres...............  (Read 7530 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Got my Winter Tyres...............
« Reply #45 on: 12 October 2014, 22:12:37 »

People say it's unnecessary to switch tyres in the winter here in Blighty and they're not wrong.  :y 

The tyre companies are trying to foster a similar culture here as to that in Germany or Scandinavia, where we feel we have to change tyres with the seasons and some people do, indeed some of our members here do.  Obviously the tyre companies motive is profit and with their 'Tyre Hotels' could make a killing, especially if they pursuade the EU to make it mandatory.  >:(

I'm just taking the contrary view where it's not necessary to take your winter tyres off in the spring!  ;)  :y  Some may disagree, but thats OK.  It makes for a good debate!   :)
Indeedy :y
Grumpy old man

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 October 2014, 20:19:31 »

Tig, I don't think its so much a softer compound, just one that doesn't harden as much when cold. That and the snipes for getting heat in. If it was simply a softer compound, on hot days I'd expect wear to be catastrophic.

I'm not against winter tyres - although I have enough trouble finding summers that work ;D - if I had a spare set of rims and a spare £300, I'd probably slap a set on in the winter if it was a good winter. Storing wheels and tyres is a PITA, due to size and sunlight issues. In reality, rarely in the UK do we get the weather to warrant the expenditure, storage and hassle. The other problem (aside from having 3 cars) is my insurance co insists I inform them if I put on winters, and when I take them off again, and each time request an admin fee  >:(

Why would that matter if the size, speed and load rating are identical?........... :-\ :-\
They specify it in the smallprint

Then your insurance company is terrible. I didnt change my tyres last year or this year (due to a variety of domestic reasons), but the years before that, I simple added on a winter tyre change between Nov and March, with no added premium.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 October 2014, 21:41:54 »

Then your insurance company is terrible. I didnt change my tyres last year or this year (due to a variety of domestic reasons), but the years before that, I simple added on a winter tyre change between Nov and March, with no added premium.
Aren't they all? ;D

Having called them to make a claim in 2012, like all insurances, the first thing they look out for is a way out...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.