Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The insanity of 'so called classic car' prices.  (Read 6074 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
The insanity of 'so called classic car' prices.
« on: 03 September 2023, 13:09:51 »

A couple of days ago I stumbled upon an episode of Bangers and Cash. Undemanding viewing.

Anyway, under the hammer goes a 1979 Mini 1275 GT. It sells for £22000 plus auction fees.

For those who don't know, the 1275 GT Mini was the emasculated limp-dick successor to the 1275 Cooper S from the sixties. They detuned the Cooper S by some 15 BHP and then stuck a butt ugly 'Clubman front' on it.

How did this very ordinary little car suddenly become worth £22000?

Insane. :-X

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: The insanity of 'so called classic car' prices.
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2023, 13:58:39 »

No , it wasn’t even the S engine .

It is “ our generation” with disposable income to buy the car of their youth. As you say madness.. Give it ten or o years years and ome Oofers will be paying similar money for an Omega…….
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2023, 14:09:27 »

Just crazy, I certainly wouldn't pay that kind of money for any type of mini , remember teaching my mate how to drive  in one in 1970 god awful thing. But I would be willing to pay up to £40, 000 for a nice AC Cobra replica just got to convince " er indoors " .. 😁
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2023, 14:10:08 »

It is “ our generation” with disposable income to buy the car of their youth. As you say madness.. Give it ten or o years years and ome Oofers will be paying similar money for an Omega…….

Most on here will be 6 feet under by then. ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2023, 14:13:07 »

Surely it's the same 1275 cc A series lump. Just detuned in 1275GT form.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2023, 15:10:32 »

No, different internals. The 1275 gt has 9 stud head compared to the S ‘s 11 stud for example.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2023, 15:29:15 »

A few years ago there was a Lotus Carlton for sale that had been in a garage show room from the day it was bought and up for sale for something like £20K with under 1000 miles on it.

These days LC's are being advertised for £100K regardless of mileage and number of owners (Not sure if the sellers ever get the asking price)

Nissan skylines are being advertised for stupid money.

Even the Chevette market.  My old stage 3 HS replica (1256) would be worth a fortune these days ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2023, 16:16:38 »

No, different internals. The 1275 gt has 9 stud head compared to the S ‘s 11 stud for example.

If you are correct....then I stand corrected. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2023, 16:19:13 »

A few years ago there was a Lotus Carlton for sale that had been in a garage show room from the day it was bought and up for sale for something like £20K with under 1000 miles on it.

These days LC's are being advertised for £100K regardless of mileage and number of owners (Not sure if the sellers ever get the asking price)

Nissan skylines are being advertised for stupid money.

Even the Chevette market.  My old stage 3 HS replica (1256) would be worth a fortune these days ::)

No chance of a genuine low mileage LC for £20,000 in 2023, Skruntie.

I need to invent a time machine. :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2023, 17:31:45 »

The demand for classic cars will only increase as they are exempt from ULEZ.   :)

The Morris Marina will be a common sight on our streets once more!  :y                                         ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2023, 17:43:16 »

The demand for classic cars will only increase as they are exempt from ULEZ.   :)

The Morris Marina will be a common sight on our streets once more:y                                         ;D

And the world will be much enriched by it's presence..... ::) ::) >:D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2023, 18:10:26 »

Cooper S had double valve springs as well. I owned both a Cooper S and then later on a 1275GT. I wasn’t a fan of the clubman front on the GT either. You could piss balls about tuning any of these engines, change the twin SU’s for a torquemaster inlet manifold with webers, LCB exhaust manifold etc., but for the fastest mini, simply dumping an Austin 1100/1300 (preferably a 1300GT) in them made a considerable improvement. I believe the Austin is/was a slightly longer stroke engine.
Oselli mini tuning was based in Oxford so very handy for me to experiment with different tuning parts.
As a side note for useless information, my 1275GT was originally fitted with Dunlop Denovo run flat tyres. When I came to replace them the run flats were so expensive that I was able to purchase four brand new Wolfrace wheels, centre caps etc and four new tyres for less money than just the Denovo’s would have cost. It was a no brainer to stick the Wolfies on.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2023, 18:36:12 »

Cooper S had double valve springs as well. I owned both a Cooper S and then later on a 1275GT. I wasn’t a fan of the clubman front on the GT either. You could piss balls about tuning any of these engines, change the twin SU’s for a torquemaster inlet manifold with webers, LCB exhaust manifold etc., but for the fastest mini, simply dumping an Austin 1100/1300 (preferably a 1300GT) in them made a considerable improvement. I believe the Austin is/was a slightly longer stroke engine.
Oselli mini tuning was based in Oxford so very handy for me to experiment with different tuning parts.
As a side note for useless information, my 1275GT was originally fitted with Dunlop Denovo run flat tyres. When I came to replace them the run flats were so expensive that I was able to purchase four brand new Wolfrace wheels, centre caps etc and four new tyres for less money than just the Denovo’s would have cost. It was a no brainer to stick the Wolfies on.  :y

That is a blast from the past.....bit like cosmic wheels on Imps and Mini. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2023, 18:38:10 »

Shows what little I know.  :D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2023, 18:45:31 »

If they'd stuck a Ford badge on it it'd have fetched at least twice as much! The prices of practically any Ford these days is frankly stupid.Most were rubbish when new and I can't see them having improved with age.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.