Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MID - How clever is the computer?  (Read 1385 times)

kjon51

• Oldsville - East Sussex
    • View Profile
MID - How clever is the computer?
« on: 13 January 2007, 12:48:30 »

The last couple of months I've been doing NO long journeys, max maybe 25 miles round trip, mostly local shopping etc, so as expected I'm getting terrible consumption readings, often 14 - 17 mpg from 20 quids worth!

BUT - I have had the engine running quite a lot whilst waiting outside in the cold for SWMBO, when the display shows usually 0.3gph.

So the question is - does the clever bit work out how long at 0.3gph for example, & calculate it into the overall total MPG or what?
I know it ain't going to make the world of difference - but every little helps, & it just got me thinking  :-/

Cheers, time for my medication  :P  ::)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
Re: MID - How clever is the computer?
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2007, 14:17:33 »

That a good kjon point I would hazard a guess at it does calculate fuel consumption whilst at rest therfore making your mpg in accurate can anyone confirm my thoughts?
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2007, 15:32:28 »

That a good kjon point I would hazard a guess at it does calculate fuel consumption whilst at rest therfore making your mpg in accurate can anyone confirm my thoughts?

Yes it will....but not make it inaccurate tho..... the .3gph is the instant consumption when at idling.

If you spend a lot of time like this then the overall mpg is going to lower, but its showing an accurate mpg reading

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2007, 18:34:00 »

The thing is quite stupid really. It simply divides amount of fuel used by number of miles since it was last reset....
Grumpy old man

kjon51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2007, 18:46:00 »

The thing is quite stupid really. It simply divides amount of fuel used by number of miles since it was last reset....

That's a very disappointing reply TB, which I find hard to believe, why does it give a instant consumption figure which is then apparently not used in calculating the trip total figure?

I have often seen the remaining mileage figure go up during a trip, after a spell of more economical driving, so surely that rules out your simplistic fuel/miles theory?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2007, 19:12:10 »

That's a very disappointing reply TB, which I find hard to believe, why does it give a instant consumption figure which is then apparently not used in calculating the trip total figure?

I have often seen the remaining mileage figure go up during a trip, after a spell of more economical driving, so surely that rules out your simplistic fuel/miles theory?
The Range calculation is more intelligent, calculating average mpg over past few (20 I think) miles.  Its the Consumption one that is simple (yet correct).
Grumpy old man

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2007, 19:35:36 »

Only guessing, but I would have thought that the MPG would have been calculated from an average INST Consumption figure sampled every so often and put with miles travelled. Never watched it that closely but it seems to update regularly.

All I really know is that, if you have your right foot flat on the floor all the time, it costs more money to get places! [smiley=grin.gif]
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2007, 19:47:18 »

Only guessing, but I would have thought that the MPG would have been calculated from an average INST Consumption figure sampled every so often and put with miles travelled. Never watched it that closely but it seems to update regularly.

All I really know is that, if you have your right foot flat on the floor all the time, it costs more money to get places! [smiley=grin.gif]
No, the average consumption is just that - number of miles travelled divided by fuel used...
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2007, 09:00:45 »

No, the average consumption is just that - number of miles travelled divided by fuel used...

TB is correct....the av mpg is pretty simple.....as he says miles travelled divided by fuel used......hence why the av mpg figure will be lower if you let it idle a lot..

The Range is calculated on previous fuel usage....

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2007, 13:25:28 »

average mpg is calculated on fuel flow and re-calculated every 18 miles I think hence when running low on fuel and you top it up it takes a little while for your range figure to be re-calculated and increased
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2007, 16:13:11 »

average mpg is calculated on fuel flow and re-calculated every 18 miles I think hence when running low on fuel and you top it up it takes a little while for your range figure to be re-calculated and increased
I disagree - average is a simple miles/fuel used.

Range calculation is based on current (last few miles average) mpg
Grumpy old man

kjon51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2007, 16:32:57 »

I've always found when I've filled up, the new range figure is there as soon as I go through the options to reset the necessary.

One step sideways - - - my son visited me today, he thought the display on mine said INSERT COINS - not INST CONS  ::) HE'S JUST AS RIGHT  :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2007, 16:35:16 »

One step sideways - - - my son visited me today, he thought the display on mine said INSERT COINS - not INST CONS  ::) HE'S JUST AS RIGHT  :o
LOL. True, very true...
Grumpy old man

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2007, 18:15:22 »

INST CON  The Truth!!!!!

This is programmed in to the Omega by the petrol companies, with relation to the Govenments taxation on fuel.
Do it right, do it once................
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.