Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I am getting really pissed off...  (Read 3861 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: I am getting really pissed off...
« Reply #15 on: 03 November 2015, 09:30:56 »

You don't actually legally need to put your headlights on in a built-up area with street lights at night, but of course we all do (well.... most of the UK's road users do, anyway)

But yes, SO annoyed at the level of idiocy regarding lights. And without being confrontational, the Police apparently don't care - as borne out by your observations.   
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 November 2015, 10:42:51 »

With respect to the members of the Force on here, they seem only to be concerned with "Safety" issues when there's money to be earned from enforcing them - Greed Cameras, etc.

Ron.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2015, 11:03:38 »

I'll say straight away they do a cracking job, and it's not something I could do. At the same time I had an accident as many on here will know, low speed 'clout' (well two cars doing 30 alongside each other, one deciding to steer into the other one) we called the police, as we thought you were supposed to do, the answer was 'if no-one's hurt then we won't come out' Ok, fair enough, if that's the policy, I can respect that.

But ironically, I saw a Police van trundle by, only a minute later. The officer in the passenger seat casually, dull-eyed look at the two cars, both smashed up front ends, people ranting, waving arms and shouting at each other at the roadside. Other people sitting on the grass, head in hands etc. The car that caused the smash was actually parked, no lights, no hazards blocking the left hand land of the dual carriageway. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's not a recommended highway code way to park your vehicle.

Didn't even stop to check everyone was ok, advice needed etc. Or, for that matter, stop, and actually tell the guy who was parked illegally on a dual carriageway he was in the wrong. They didn't know if anyone was injured, requiring first aid.

So we know several things...

1 You can drive without any lights on in adverse conditions.
2 You can park on a dual carriageway in overcast, dull conditions, on a wet road, causing traffic to bottleneck.
3 An extension of the no lights in adverse conditions rule, it is recommended to put main beam and fog lights on all day, permanently. Until dusk, then knock them off of course.
4 If it is vaguely misty, and you have front fogs, turn them on.
5 A/B roads at night main beam is to be used by default until you have dazzled an oncoming car for 2-3 seconds, then knock back to dipped beam, returning to default just before that car has completely passed you. 

The Police are ok with all of the above. We know this because a) they practice this themselves, or b) they see it, and take no actions to stop it.

As I say, not knocking them, because they have targets to meet and places to be, but so long as we know the new rules of the road, we as road users can obey them and be aware. (plus the motorway discipline of lane 1 = HGVs and Kia Picantos, lane 2 = all normal traffic and Polish registered HGVs, lane 3 = anyone so long as male/rep and in a fast car)

Just don't do 31mph in a 30, ok? We don't need any dangerous drivers out there!!
« Last Edit: 03 November 2015, 11:05:53 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2015, 11:14:01 »

With respect to the members of the Force on here, they seem only to be concerned with "Safety" issues when there's money to be earned from enforcing them - Greed Cameras, etc.

Ron.
It's sadly easier to mop up after the event than it is to teach people who won't be taught. Besides Roads Policing is only part of the remit... there's violence, domestic and or drunken; robberies, assualts, shoplifting, truancy, attending court, paperwork, drug dealing and its consequences... and all on a 45p budget.

Speeding is the single biggest offence in the UK. Nigh on everyone does it. On paper speed cameras are, on the face of it, a perfect tool for detection... unfortunately the law of uninteded consequences hadn't allowed for the fact that replacing patrols with cameras meant that other offences are now going undeterred and undetected, even if it has freed up officers to deal with everything else ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2015, 11:27:04 »

I really really must stress my little rant above is not intended as a snide dig at the force. I know it does somewhat appear like that, but the fact being they don't do a lot, Now that isn't the same as saying they can't be bothered, there's horrific budgetary constraints, as Al above says, and so much more I'm sure we as the public don't get to see the half of it, and the news can't be relied on to tell the true picture.

My local constabulary was recently voted worst in Britain, by the way.

Same ones that shrugged when I told them I was witnessing a moped being stolen, same ones who when my mum reported a probably burglary across the road she was told 'can you go over and check they are burglars?'( :o :o ) same ones who I watch doing 30pmh or a bit more in the police van outside a school in a 20 zone, who then do me for speeding, doing 34mph, 20 yards from a 40.

The Force in Coventry, where I went to Uni were like bleeding superheroes, who appeared round every corner, like guardian angels, whenever you needed them. A mate saw a little guy being harassed by some other blokes, called it in, 30 seconds later a car arrived! Seriously, no-one ever started anything there because on a Friday/Sat night, you never know if there was a copper round the next corner.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 03 November 2015, 11:33:41 »

But ironically, I saw a Police van trundle by, only a minute later.
Can you be sure that they were Police Officers?

Could be that they were Police Staff... permanent staff were what at a glance look like Police uniforms, volunteers have to wear whatever is deemed suitable but may include suitably labled hi viz coats... if they were staff or were carrying out prisoner transfers etc they wouldn't stop. End of.

I have driven marked vehicles from the workshop with two or three passengers to deliver a vehicle back to its base with a view to collecting more than one vehicle back. We're told to stop only if we feel it prudent, as we are neither trained nor equipped to deal with such situations, and the last thing anyone needs is to give the impression that we're actual Police Officers. ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 November 2015, 12:09:59 »

Never thought of that... all I can say is they seemed to be, looked like there was a glint of chrome of the epaulette, but it was a fleeting glance, of course.

STEMO

« Reply #22 on: 03 November 2015, 12:17:54 »

We should start another 'spotted' thread, only for police cars. I reckon the omega thread would be busier.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 November 2015, 12:39:21 »

:D

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 November 2015, 13:04:50 »

Plenty around yesterday with no lights on in the fog . Plus never using any indication  >:( , they got plenty of indication from me  >:( fickin incompetent brainless tards  >:(
Omegatitis

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 November 2015, 14:06:18 »

I called the Police to an accident a while back because it had resulted in a car immobile in the fast lane of a dual carriageway, facing the traffic coming off a busy roundabout, with an owner who was more fascinated by her mobile phone than the urgent need to move her vehicle.

Police turned up and.. proceeded to brethalyse me and all other drivers at the incident, while their white 5 series estate added to the obstruction of the traffic.

Unable to pin anything on anyone, they breaked off again. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

kev2b4

• Luton, Beds
    • 2.5 CDX ,2.5 tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2015, 09:13:38 »

We had civilian police office  staff officer round last weekend - interviewing a collission report; out of him personally investigating 493 collissions this year - we were the 3rd english person of those , the remainder being of other EU nationalities.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 November 2015, 09:20:29 »

Ahhh careful, any statistic that portrays anyone non-British in a less-than-excellent light is racist, you know; irrespective of it being true or not.  :(

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.