Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Astra exhaust gone  (Read 2719 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Astra exhaust gone
« Reply #15 on: 27 February 2020, 09:17:02 »

The Cat I expect will be fine, there is a post cat Lambda sensor, disconnect it and remove with the whole exhaust section, then heat the boss where it screws in and it will wind out with no major challenges.  :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 February 2020, 11:28:30 »

Daylight robbery from Kwik fit, definitely tell her to shop around .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2020, 18:47:14 »

The Cat I expect will be fine, there is a post cat Lambda sensor, disconnect it and remove with the whole exhaust section, then heat the boss where it screws in and it will wind out with no major challenges.  :y
Thanks. I have found a U-tube video describing changing just the front exhaust section, cost £22.50. The lad doing the demonstration broke off a stud ataching the section to the manucat, but otherwise made light work of the job. I could replace the flexi section for £10, but the lambda sensor might inhibit this route.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2020, 19:13:36 »

even  if you get the front section replaced at a garage ,it's still a lot cheaper than quick s**t doing it for £400
warming up the cat may help with bolt removal

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2020, 22:57:25 »

even  if you get the front section replaced at a garage ,it's still a lot cheaper than quick s**t doing it for £400
I planned to use heat to facilitate removal of the pipe to manicat bolts, and to remove the lambda sensor. My worry is removing the front pipe from the central pipe. In the video the lad removed the pipe clamp, then grasped the front pipe with a huge pipe wrench and rotate it. I am sure that either that way, or heat, or hacksaw, will achieve it. As you say, I could pay a mechanic to do it. I have three sons, they can do the heavy work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2020, 10:54:57 »

so spend a bit of time with your lads , drink tea and be the gaffer ,while they do the spannering with your supervision  :y
family time and a joint sense of achievement would be far more satisfying than paying a big bill from quicks**t  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 February 2020, 11:22:16 »

I planned to use heat to facilitate removal of the pipe to manicat bolts, and to remove the lambda sensor. My worry is removing the front pipe from the central pipe. In the video the lad removed the pipe clamp, then grasped the front pipe with a huge pipe wrench and rotate it. I am sure that either that way, or heat, or hacksaw, will achieve it. As you say, I could pay a mechanic to do it. I have three sons, they can do the heavy work.

now you know why ANYONE who expects to fit exhausts for money has oxy-acetylene. This means they can heat up the nuts to the manifold before trying to undo them. Those are the only nuts to undo, as the rest of the system is removed complete, or burnt into sections as necessary. Replacing just a part of an exhaust system rarely works for long. An experienced exhaust fitter would have the entire new system on your Astra in minutes.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.