Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The future: EVs or ICEs?  (Read 4127 times)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
The future: EVs or ICEs?
« on: 11 March 2024, 22:41:57 »

Perhaps the future is not electric, but improved internal combustion. Ford and Toyota think so. :y

Interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKCdKsy4fJI&t=348

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: The future: EVs or ICEs?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2024, 09:46:17 »

I haven’t watched the linked clip but the EV future must be a worry for car manufacturers. They’ve been put in an impossible position by government rulings of no ICE cars after 2035, but the public uptake of the EV hasn’t taken off as much as they’d hoped. Car manufacturers now have all of their eggs in one basket and that’s not a good place to be if sales don’t pick up.
Serious issues with EV’s, whether hyped up by the press or genuine issues, have done nothing to help sales either. We’ve had battery fires by self igniting cars and now we have software brake failure and vehicles getting stuck at speed and unable to stop. Not a great selling point is it.
I personally have zero interest in EV’s and it appears that most EV sales are fleet/company vehicles, but I do have genuine empathy for the car manufacturers being put in this position.
To simplify it, if you ran a shop and a certain item wasn’t selling as well as expected, you’d no longer stock that item. In the vehicle manufacturers situation, the item that isn’t selling well is now their only item. Not a good place to be.   :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2024, 10:24:41 »

Synthetic fuel could render EV,s obsolete in no time, but the powers that be have put all their eggs in the EV basket.
Havent watched the link yet btw.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2024, 11:16:43 »

i think the2035 deadline will change again anyway once we get near to it !
but i for one ( probably along with a lot of you here ) will never be going down the ev route anyway if we can help it . so long as petrol is still produced ive enough cars to see me out !

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2024, 11:17:15 »

Serious issues with EV’s, whether hyped up by the press or genuine issues, have done nothing to help sales either. We’ve had battery fires by self igniting cars and now we have software brake failure and vehicles getting stuck at speed and unable to stop. Not a great selling point is it.

The brake issue appears to be the owners doing (the Cheshire case), fully charged car (so minimal regen)........and a recent full brake upgrade with new callipers, discs etc....

......not that the press are highlighting that  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2024, 11:37:53 »

Fair play to the marketing bods for upselling that, but surely an EV doesn't really require actual brakes given the regenerative braking power...

And presumably if you knock it into neutral it would simply roll to a stop ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2024, 21:34:19 »

Fair play to the marketing bods for upselling that, but surely an EV doesn't really require actual brakes given the regenerative braking power...

Yes, there doesn’t appear to be an explanation why this wasn’t possible. I was bored so I looked on the iPace forum and they’re confused why this wasn’t possible as well. I’m guessing they’d blame an electrical or software fault prevented this from happening.
I’ll have to remember the old runaway story if I’m ever unlucky enough to get pulled over again. Yes officer, the pedal was stuck to the floor for a few minutes but we’re all good now. Hmm, do you think they’d believe me.  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: 12 March 2024, 21:37:42 by YZ250 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2024, 21:59:58 »

Yes, there doesn’t appear to be an explanation why this wasn’t possible. I was bored so I looked on the iPace forum and they’re confused why this wasn’t possible as well. I’m guessing they’d blame an electrical or software fault prevented this from happening.
I’ll have to remember the old runaway story if I’m ever unlucky enough to get pulled over again. Yes officer, the pedal was stuck to the floor for a few minutes but we’re all good now. Hmm, do you think they’d believe me.  ::) ;D

Sounds like a seat-steering wheel interface issue to me. Which isn't surprising given the standard of driving these days.

Of course, if the battery can't take any charge you have no regen braking - unless you want the aforementioned inferno. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2024, 14:23:29 »

If it was a runaway then a clapped out cop car would not have stopped the 400bhp of the iPace  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2024, 14:24:28 »

Sounds like a seat-steering wheel interface issue to me. Which isn't surprising given the standard of driving these days.

Of course, if the battery can't take any charge you have no regen braking - unless you want the aforementioned inferno. ;)

Exactly this, at full charge regen is minimal (as there is nowhere for the energy to go) so the system uses the brakes  :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2024, 16:59:27 »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2024, 21:45:14 »

Amateur

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/91259.stm#:~:text=The%20M1%20was%20cleared%20by,the%20vehicle%20impossible%20to%20control.

I remember that story well, I just can’t believe that it was almost 26 years ago.  :o  He was cleared of faking it apparently.  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2024, 09:46:02 »

IIRC a Sierra Cosworth driver tried the same tale in the day .....

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 March 2024, 13:27:45 »

IIRC a Sierra Cosworth driver tried the same tale in the day .....

As I've posted on here before, I had a genuine runaway in my old 3.0S. I floored it to do an overtake and when I pulled back in, the car was still pulling like a train. Luckily I was able to turn off the ignition and slow down to a stop. The throttle cable had frayed and wouldn't return up the cable sleeve. It was quite a hairy moment.  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 March 2024, 15:21:15 »

It happened to me years ago coming off the M62 just before Liverpool. I was driving some sort of Citroen (can't remember the model, I was drunk at the time)  ;D

Well......tipsy.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2024, 15:26:13 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2024, 17:31:50 »

The throttle cable broke on my Chevette HS and I drove it around for a few days with the remains of the old cable running through the heater vent into the car and used it as a hand throttle.
That got a bit hairy at times.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.