Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blizzak WS-50s Snow Tires  (Read 1291 times)

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • 2001 Cadillac Catera SPT
    • View Profile
Blizzak WS-50s Snow Tires
« on: 05 December 2008, 15:58:54 »

This year I decided to drive the Catera through the snow, Last year and the year before that I parked it in storage and used my other car, but hey what the heck I called tire rack and Ordered 4 new Bridgestone Blizzak Tires WS-50s

Tires were at my door a few day slater... now the crazy part is the price... they were originally listed at $149/tire, the clearance sale reduced them down to $98/tire and finally the sales rep offered me a $23/tire discount for some screw up that they did at their wearhouse... but either way total cost was $300, I got free install and balance at the local Discoun tire and the wheels were a steal deal from a Saab 9-3...

Overal impressions the car is smooth, I can hear a slight noise from the tires when the radio is off... its like a hummmm... but nothing that my mother would notice.
I had a chance to try them on a 2" of snow and let me tell ya, you thought the catera couldnt go anywhere when the white stuff came down huh?  well you are very wront...

I tried braking on a steep down hill and the ABS didnt even kick in, then accelaration on the same hill and the traction didnt even bother... the grip is simly amazing, not quite like dry pavement but pretty darn close.  
Also I tried them on ice and I couldnt tell the difference... the car was solid... with my all seasons I couldnt take off... not to mention that I stayed away from any slopy streets...

So overal, I am very happy with the purchase... for about $500 I have a set of winter shoes that I can trust and know that my car can get through most of the stuff I throw at it without any worries.

Here are some of the pictures...  Any comments are welcome...

My car before the snow tires... Last shots with the sumer wheels..

The tires...

And a MINI with the same exact wheels... I guess someone tried to copy me... LOL  :D

2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: Blizzak WS-50s Snow Tires
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2008, 17:42:37 »

Tyres look spot on and for that price you got a bargain.I have just done a web search and "mytyres"want £215=00 each,and even with our low £ rate that works out around $350 each,so you did VERY well.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2008, 17:53:23 »

very good tires..I also use them.. :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2008, 17:53:35 »

I have a spare set of wheels for my car if if that is the likely cost of winter tyres then maybe I wont be buying any. :-/
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

CateraMV6

• Lake Orion MI, USA
  • 2001 CATERA SPORT
    • 2001 Cadillac Catera SPT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2008, 18:00:57 »

Ouch 350$/tire?  OMG that is like an arm and a leg, and maybe 2 children... GEEEZZEEE>>>?!

Yeah that just nutz but part of it is because I picked a big size, the larger rim and width the more money it costs over here...

I was considering the 205 60/16s which were around 60-70$/tire and that would have worked also but I had the 17s and I figured why not, I know they say narrow tires for the winter but hey, I think the wider the tire the better traction you will get in the most snow roads except for the really deep stuff...

If you want to see what kind of stuff we have over here go to TIRERACK.COM and check the stuff out, they have wheels and tires and some neat reviews and ratings, that help you sort through the good and bad...

One thing for sure thou, Snow tires in the winter, after trying these the All Season stuff just doesnt cut it no more...

My previous experiance, was Kumho Ecsta ASX, then Continental ContiExtremeContacts, and now these Bridgestones, and I recommend them 110% to anyone!... I know they are pricey but they are worth it!  ;)
2K1 - CCS //Mods: K&N, Steinmetz Cat-back, Port/polish intake system, 3.8BAR FPR, 3.2L Injectors, MAF, V8 Brakes, GTO Springs, 194RWHP.

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2008, 21:41:51 »

what width are those wheels? -egnore that i read it and they're 8" lol!

btw can anybody confirm the irmscher mv6 alloys are 7.5" please?
thanks
« Last Edit: 05 December 2008, 21:44:45 by grainqey »
V8!!!!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2008, 22:15:37 »

I had the fun to drive a Nissan 350ZX on those tyres in Canada (Gander) a few years back .. stuck to the white stuff like sh!t to a blanket ... very impressed  :)

Unfortunately UK doesn't have the right sort of snow - dry - or enough of it to warrant the expense of winter tyres. The wet slushy stuff we get is easily handled with a decent set of snow chains that you can quickly remove when you reach the main roads that the council have cleared.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2008, 16:08:45 »

That's one cool Catera there!!  8-) 8-) 8-) 8-):y :y :y :y

You can ship it over cateraMV6 at any time, and I will take delivery no problem!!

Mind you I think I would soon come across to the States and drive it! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :D ;)
« Last Edit: 06 December 2008, 16:09:06 by Lizzie_Zoom »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 21 queries.